What is your second favorite brand after Buck?

I guess before I get started I'll try and explain the purpose of this post as it is only meant with good intentions and I'm not trying to start any controversy here. I was going to post this in general (if it gets moved that's fine, however it will lose it's value) but I'm actually looking specifically for the opinions of other Buck fans. I'll start with saying that Buck is and always will be my favorite knife. I wouldn't say that I'm a collector but I also can't explain the dozen+ Buck knives that I do have. As with most products I tend to stick with brands and companies that produce quality products and it's always tough to explore other options. In my opinion Buck ranks #1 in the knife world and that will never change for me. I do have a love for knives and looking into purchasing a few more users and wondering what other common manufacture(s) you guys relay on?

Again, I'm a huge Buck supporter and this thread was not meant with any ill intentions. Who do you guys place in the #2 spot, after Buck of course.

My thought and reasoning for posting in the Buck forum was that we share a common interest in the quality and service that Buck provides so I assume we would share the same in another manufacture.

Last edited:
Keeping in mind quality and customer service as well as the number I have in my collection I'd probably go with Spyderco with Kershaw a close second.

I loves my Buck blades and often carry a Leatherman tool or knife alongside. I also have their tiny Buck multi-tool that is cute as a button.

-sevensix

To be honest, I've developed a fondness for the Helle line of fixed blades from Norway and I've bought several in the last few months.

Every other brand only can be the second in the face to Buck. Or not?
Best, Haebbie

What is your second favorite brand after Buck?

I don't have any ranking of favorite brands.
I have a lot of knives from a number of companies.
Most every company I've looked at makes at least one knife I like.
Most every company I've looked at makes at least one knife I don't like.

Within the limitation that I mostly only buy US-made knives, I go by the design, not on which company made it.

Sorry Reznik,

This is the Buck forum.....not the other brand forum! I sold off almost all of my other brands and don't currently EDC any knife that is not a Buck.

I'd like you to go to all of the other knife forums here on BF and ask them the same question....LOL. If you do, I hope you have some thick skin as they are not as nice as the folks here on the Buck forum;).

Ok, now that I have made you feel right at home:). Vintage Gerber's with USA on the tang. Also, some vintage Browning.
jb4570

The brands I like offer something that Buck doesn't, like good ol' 1095 blades. Course, I'm in the minority. The brands I like to pick up when I can include Ulster, Schrade/Old Timer and Camillus about in that order. For whatever reason, I'm not moved by Case and can't explain that since they offer CV blades at a decent price.

I'd buy a Buck 112 in 1095 in a nano-second.

If Schrade/Old Timer were still USA produced with that good ol 1095, they would give Buck a run for my money, I think. So I think the old USA-made Schrade OTs are a close second for me.

After anything that says BUCK, it has to give the feeling that I'll have a use for it. For example, I EDC an Alpha Hunter on my waist and a Baretta "FieldLite" in AUS 8 Made in Japan in my pocket.

I like the old Bucks best and the new Bucks would be my second favorite.

In some cases they do seem like a different brand due to different steels and different construction.

Classic Ka-Bar's (1184 is one of my favorites, and my first knife purchase, only it wasnt a classic then!)

Back