What is your sharpest blade?

Huh. My OP Opinel is sharper than I thought. I just got a nice clean shave with it.

I don't know which of my knives is the sharpest, the're all sharp enough to shave with (not that I shave).
I think my Rough Riders, Bucks, and Taylor-Schrade LB7 and 7OT were the sharpest out of the box.

I don't know which of my knives is the sharpest, the're all sharp enough to shave with (not that I shave).
I think my Rough Riders, Bucks, and Taylor-Schrade LB7 and 7OT were the sharpest out of the box.
I just can agree about Rough Riders. All my knives came quite sharp, but the RR are really razor like and the smaller the sharper.

A hand forged blade in 52100 by Lee Reeves, a now retired Oklahoma bladesmith and farrier.

That thing takes a wicked edge.

Close to that is a Ray Kirk necker, also in 52100.
Trying to track Down any info I can on Lee’s knives any help is greatly appreciated would love to see pics!

Samuraistuart Davenport is a maker who sells here on BFC and specializes in high hardness carbon and tool steels. This drop point of his is in CPM-M4 @ 64 HRc, and came incredibly sharp. A half dozen deer later, a few passes on a 600 grit diamond steel and stropping got it hair popping once again.

w6Chb8r.jpg

The sharpest that have passed through my hands by far are from AA Forge, Carothers, Malanika, Pasi Hurtilla, and Saku Honkilahti. Also my Gransfors hatchet.

Different steels, including O1, 52100, 80crv2, D3V, and whatever Gransfors uses, but all made and finished expertly.

My Bucks and Moras are also very sharp, but the knives listed above came absurdly sharp and seem to have good edge holding.

AA Forge O1, and Malanika 52100.... both are used quite a bit.

87E14070-0E77-4EF8-9A9F-A0592455F7BB.jpeg

Last edited:
KJ is right about the RRs sensationally sharp out of the box.

Just at the moment it's a Japanese kitchen knife :eek::D and a Chambriard le compact sandvik in Ebony from France.

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg
thank you for the reminder! i need to try one of those Chambriard knives....

though i haven’t had it very long, a buck 112 in 5160 came super sharp and takes a great edge. was really impressed.

like most, i have several buck knives. i hadn’t tried one in 5160. i got some big river cash for christmas so decided to try one. glad i did.

i believe i said out loud, “wow”.

3C05DFBD-C57C-4740-AC1E-862697D49FE8.jpeg

Definitely the clip blade on my Case punch stockman. With a thickness of something like .016” behind the edge, and that thin stock with narrow Turkish profile, it’s positively a matter separator. The Case CV steel is also crazy simple to sharpen and put a polish on. All that adds up to an insanely sharp blade when honed at a 30 degree inclusive angle.

The sheepsfoot, wickedly pointy awl, and classic yellow Delrin are just icing on the cake. This knife is absurdly underrated.

EIh2xkTh.jpg

I reground the primary bevel on my knife, going as close as I could to a 'total edge' freehand with a cordless mini grinder. This got rid of a large and uneven secondary bevel, and straightened out the blade as a whole. I mostly smoothed out the grinding marks and put a small secondary, with a 200 grit water stone. Then 1000 grit water stone, ceramic razor hone, green rouge on a piece of hard leather.

I use a knife to carve the odd callous, or skin off one side of the tip of one finger that I injured years ago, that can bother me in the winter time. Finally I've gotten this A. Wright's knife so it can push cut through with no slicing. ZING!

For the time being, this is my sharpest knife. I never thought this one would take that place.

Michael

P.S. I've been impressed with Opinels over the years. I once sharpened one, popped a bunch of hairs off my arm testing it, and noticed I had shaved off a postage stamp sized patch of the top layer of skin, so that my arm was raw and oozing droplets of blood.

image.jpg

Last edited:
LT Wright Boat Tail Scandi in A2 steel. Cut your eye just looking at it...

Back