What khukuri at about a pound?

Howdy folks.

I think I want to get a second, smaller khuk to go with my 18.5”, 28oz. WWII. I nabbed a 12” AK and I don’t think it’s a keeper for me, too small. Anybody want it? What do you all think is the most versatile khuk in the 1lb to 20oz range, no shorter than 15” or so?

Thanks, Doug

Last edited:
Howdy folks.

I think I want to get a second, smaller khuk to go with my 18.5”, 28oz. WWII. I nabbed a 12” AK and I don’t think it’s a keeper for me, too small. What do you all think is the most versatile khuk in the 1lb to 20oz range, no shorter than 15” or so?

Thanks, Doug

You double-posted so probably half the replies will go to one post, and half to the other. You can avoid that by editing one of the posts to give it an empty content.

Anyway, since you already have a good chopper, I recommend a VUK (Villager Utility Knife) as your versatile second blade. Here's an example that I acquired a few days ago. It's 15.5" overall length and about 17 oz. Some of the VUKs come a little longer and a little heavier, if you prefer. HI has other models that will meet your specs, but the VUK is the least expensive and equally functional.

VUK15.5in-Kumar 17oz-01.jpg

I agree. Everyone should have at least one VUK. Even those with lots of knives find themselves going for the VUK for all but the heaviest chores.

My thoughts exactly. I know that my KLVUK is the first knife I grab for yard work. Kinda funny. I strap on this heavy duty 16.5" chiruwa AK for "serious" camping, but my light and nimble little VUKs do most of my really dirty chores. Best value in HI cutlery for sure:)

Thanks guys, I will watch out for one of those. Is the Tamang knife about same (looks pretty similar to me)?

Doug

The Tamang is another good option, they are just a bit straighter, but they work well too.

BAS, solid, light weight, and you can get it with a sheath for under $80.

This is one of the most under rated HI blades.

I was gonna say the BAS also. I use mine in the yard for chopping chores all the time... yet a light and fast knife as well!

Thanks guys, I have considered the BAS. I think I would like my second to be as different as possible from my WWII and the BAS is pretty similar (horn handle, stick tang). Many BAS are also a bit heavier than I think I want...

Doug

Thanks guys, I have considered the BAS. I think I would like my second to be as different as possible from my WWII and the BAS is pretty similar (horn handle, stick tang). Many BAS are also a bit heavier than I think I want...

Doug

I would go with the VUK, or the Tamang, which is more machete like. Both are great camp knives.

Go with what your gut tells you. Everyone on this forum has an almost different opinion of what is "best". I, myself, non-promotional/non- prejudiced guy that I am, must agree with what Cul, Jake, and Bawanna have said. The VUK is simply a no bullsheet knife that was made to work. They come in all sizes. Nothing fancy here, but you get your monies worth, hands down. I've even had one custom made specifically to fit my hand. BUT! If you want the absolute best khuk for chores and stiff work, do as Jake and I have done, find thee a KLVUK. Thats the khuk in my avatar and it's still a thumb's up.

Oh Mr. Vancleve...This is your gut talkin! No! Dont blow me out the backside just yet! I agree with all them fellas cept maybe Bookie? Oooouch!! What the*&%? Sorry had a sharp pain in my neck for a second there??? WTH? Oh well?... yep ok I agree with Bookie too! Might even get you a VUK with a sheath as they seem to be coming that way lately. Great all around knife! CAK or AK around 17-18" might be a great choice too depending on what you want to pay for?

BAS, solid, light weight, and you can get it with a sheath for under $80.

This is one of the most under rated HI blades.
Amen to that Dobe. Solid and lightweight makes it killer in my book both from a utility and self-defense perspective. Loving its classic lines. And reluctant to press it into "service":it's that pretty! Have to remind myself it's a tool and destined to weather whatever adventures I throw at it. So glad I got one.

Which reminds me: I recall reading about the Gurkha soldier who took on an entire gang of train robbers in India armed with nothing more than an army issue... you got it.

I was gonna say the BAS also. I use mine in the yard for chopping chores all the time... yet a light and fast knife as well!
+1 on the BAS. Terrific value if purchased on a DOTD (and even if not!), versatile all-rounder and slice of military history all rolled into a classic khukuri design that belongs in a time capsule! You can't go wrong with this one. It's one heck of a chopper, punches above its weight and is a delight to use. Highly recommended.
Edit: I realized I sounded a little enthusiastic there... perhaps I'm ploughing a lonely furrow.

Last edited:
Back