What kind of blade finish do Survive! GSO Knives Have?

I really like the simplicity and slick finish of the GSO knives. Is that tumbled or something else? If it is tumbled is it possible to get that look without spending $3,000 on a commercial tumbler?

full

Call Millit knives cause for all intents and purposes they make them for Survive.

You can achieve close. Longer plastic container. Fill with round small river rocks and broken mexican coke bottle and some wd40. Make sure bottle is durable and lid is on tight then duct tape. Then wrap in two towels and duct tape again. Then put in your dryer with a bunch of towels and sweaters on no heat for 2 hours.

If you want the effect to be more pronounced dip the blade in pcb enchant or muriatic acid before tumble but spray with windex after acid bath.

Small cement mixer filled with the ceramic triangles for tumblers and a soap slurry is another cheaper option. Same idea.

If you figure out what finish is used ... or Josh may know ... but you might check with Josh @ REK Sharpening ... he does some different finishes but I don't know everything he offers or the cost ... I had him do a couple blades for me one a satin finish one a bead blasted and they turned out great.

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I first saw it I thought it was bead blasted too. I'll contact a few people and see if I can get more info. I'm curious to know if there is any benefit of tumbling vs bead blasting when it comes to corrosion resistance. Does anyone have any info on that?

Bead/sand blasted is the WORST possible finish in regards to corrosion resistance. It actively holds moisture instead of letting it bead and run off.

~Chip

I once asked how a certain company
Achieved a certain surface finish........

And I was not scoffed at but peeps basically said that even if they knew how to do it they wouldn't tell me because it wouldn't be right to finish something like someone else o_O

even though I thought imitation was the highest form of flattery lol

and if the original maker told or showed me how I would always give cred where credit is due :)

FUNNY. I figured they just couldn't figure it out either Hahaha so they fed me bs ;)

Anyhow rant over lol

IIRC, that surface finish in the OP's post is called "peened" finish, which I think that they implemented circa early 2016.

I once asked how a certain company
Achieved a certain surface finish........

And I was not scoffed at but peeps basically said that even if they knew how to do it they wouldn't tell me because it wouldn't be right to finish something like someone else o_O

even though I thought imitation was the highest form of flattery lol

and if the original maker told or showed me how I would always give cred where credit is due :)

FUNNY. I figured they just couldn't figure it out either Hahaha so they fed me bs ;)

Anyhow rant over lol

HAHA They don't want you to know their "Secret". There is very little that is actually new nowadays, especially not a simple finish. What it looks like to me is simple sand blast or sand blast + cerakote or something. I haven't damaged my blade enough to tell if it's coated but if the coating is a similar color to the steel then it would be hard to tell anyway.

I haven't damaged my blade enough to tell if it's coated but if the coating is a similar color to the steel then it would be hard to tell anyway.

I think it is fair to assume that Cerakote would have a different electrical conductivity than steel, which means you could easily use an ohmmeter to check for the presence of a coating.

HAHA They don't want you to know their "Secret". There is very little that is actually new nowadays, especially not a simple finish. What it looks like to me is simple sand blast or sand blast + cerakote or something. I haven't damaged my blade enough to tell if it's coated but if the coating is a similar color to the steel then it would be hard to tell anyway.
Lol

I asked how strider flamed their ti handles
That's when the shit hit the fan :)

Then everyone was like you can't copy strider

I was like dude it's just ti heat coloring or anodizing.
But the specific way they do it looks different than most and I like it (or did at the time)

I think it is fair to assume that Cerakote would have a different electrical conductivity than steel, which means you could easily use an ohmmeter to check for the presence of a coating.

Good suggestion. There is no resistance there so it isn't coated.

Back