What kind of folder do you carry?

The one I really carry almost all the time, for the last 12 years. Assisted opener, just a touch of the thumbstud and it flies open:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
From an article that really clarifies the subject, written by a knife attorney:

Assisted openers are perfectly legal to carry in California. Assisted openers are pocket knives with spring-loaded blades that pop fully open once the user starts the process and overcomes some initial resistance. There is no button or release lever, just a thumb stud on the front or on the side of the blade.

To clarify all the confusion regarding what did and didn't qualify as a "switchblade" in California, the legislature revamped section 17235 of the Penal Code by adding one sentence to the law. The addition, in italics, was intended to clarify that assisted openers are legal to carry in the State of California. Today, that code section reads as follows:

"A 'switchblade knife' means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife, or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. 'Switchblade knife' does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position."

Last edited:
^^^

Just a couple of other notes to add to Bob's piece above and I'm sure that Bob will correct me since Bob's a lot more knowledgeable about knife laws here in Cali:

If I'm not mistaken, the above is the State's general statute but if you live in CA, it's your responsibility to inform yourself about your local knife laws. Some cities such as San Francisco and Los Angeles do have much more strict rules on their books but luckily for me living in San Diego County, I'm not aware of more stringent knife laws above and over the State's statute knife laws. Of course, knives are prohibited in Gov. buildings, courts, schools, etc...

Note to Bob: I had a brainfart and equated assisted to automatic.

AEECD64E-6649-4A43-8652-D2E9235133F7.jpeg

This, right up to the moment my EDC2 arrived. Now, a clipless, safetyless, aluminum clad leek with a ground down flipper rides along for detail work when I’m around other folks who’d freak out if a fixed blade came out from under my coat.

I also edc the EDC2 because I can’t put it down yet and a good use may come along.

PSA and righty alert (sorry lefties!):

I hope this is not considered as shilling and inappropriate, so Nathan will LMK if out of bounds. I've been looking forward to this Lum folder by Spyderco which is a BHQ exclusive becoming available for grabs tomorrow at 10:00 AM U.S. Mountain Time. I wonder if it's going to be as tough to score as Nathan's Fridays sales? Hmm?!

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Bob-Lum-Tanto-Knife--71566

Not too wild about the steel and less wild about the handle colors (and also made in Japan vs Golden CO or their Taiwan plant) but still hard to pass up on since I've never owned anything inspired by Bob Lum and also have never owned any tanto shaped folder blades! Who's with me?

Lol. No thanks! I’d only buy a Spyderco again if it was on the secondary market so I could ensure blade centering and mechanical operation to my expectations.

Russian Flippin’ Tanto is my first folder with a tanto. I like it but don’t think I foresee another anytime soon.

89CCD00C-A661-404F-B630-5A884201D3FA.jpeg

Meh, I can do much better things if I wanted to spend over $3000 on a Ruski. Better things like asking Bob which side of $3K he'll be thinking on his CPK-Dagger. 'Murica + Nathan Carothers, baby :D

Meh, I can do much better things if I wanted to spend over $3000 on a Ruski. Better things like asking Bob which side of $3K he'll be thinking on his CPK-Dagger. 'Murica + Nathan Carothers, baby :D

I may go into and out of a few knives here and there, but the dagger is something I give absolutely no thought to as it relates to it departing from my collection. It has a permanent home, thank you.

Thought edit: And Nathan would have no problem finding a buyer for one of his daggers in the over $3000 range. But I got a bridge.......

Except I can carry the folder everywhere I go and use it as a tool most likely the rest of my life lol.

I love Nathan’s dagger but the only thing I’d use it for is looking at.

The only way I can justify something I consider expensive is I will employ it in a fashion that justifys the expense or returns it’s cost in time/energy savings.

I’m generally a conservative financially. I have life insurance for myself and my wife, all kinds of various coverage on material goods and even pet insurance.

And it’s less than $3000 lol!

PSA and righty alert (sorry lefties!):

I hope this is not considered as shilling and inappropriate, so Nathan will LMK if out of bounds. I've been looking forward to this Lum folder by Spyderco which is a BHQ exclusive becoming available for grabs tomorrow at 10:00 AM U.S. Mountain Time. I wonder if it's going to be as tough to score as Nathan's Fridays sales? Hmm?!

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Bob-Lum-Tanto-Knife--71566

Not too wild about the steel and less wild about the handle colors (and also made in Japan vs Golden CO or their Taiwan plant) but still hard to pass up on since I've never owned anything inspired by Bob Lum and also have never owned any tanto shaped folder blades! Who's with me?

I want it badly.

I may go into and out of a few knives here and there, but the dagger is something I give absolutely no thought to as it relates to it departing from my collection. It has a permanent home, thank you.

Thought edit: And Nathan would have no problem finding a buyer for one of his daggers in the over $3000 range. But I got a bridge.......

I'd rather buy your fantasy bridge before I buy Ruski. Where's that bridge at again?!

I'd rather buy your fantasy bridge before I buy Ruski. Where's that bridge at again?!

I don’t seek out country of origin when buying knives, I’m just looking for the best.

Grimsmo is getting real close. The double pin system is better than a hand tuned lock bar insert at this point.

Couple small changes and I’d be all over a Rask, but they are Canadian. I’ve never held a US made knife that’s made as well as either Shiro or Grimsmo. Close though.

In CPK related news, my EDC2 showed up. I should go open it!

I don’t seek out country of origin when buying knives, I’m just looking for the best.

Grimsmo is getting real close. The double pin system is better than a hand tuned lock bar insert at this point.

Couple small changes and I’d be all over a Rask, but they are Canadian. I’ve never held a US made knife that’s made as well as either Shiro or Grimsmo. Close though.

In CPK related news, my EDC2 showed up. I should go open it!

:thumbsup: To EDC2, meh the rest :p

Back