What kind of folder do you carry?

PSA and righty alert (sorry lefties!):

I hope this is not considered as shilling and inappropriate, so Nathan will LMK if out of bounds. I've been looking forward to this Lum folder by Spyderco which is a BHQ exclusive becoming available for grabs tomorrow at 10:00 AM U.S. Mountain Time. I wonder if it's going to be as tough to score as Nathan's Fridays sales? Hmm?!

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Bob-Lum-Tanto-Knife--71566

Not too wild about the steel and less wild about the handle colors (and also made in Japan vs Golden CO or their Taiwan plant) but still hard to pass up on since I've never owned anything inspired by Bob Lum and also have never owned any tanto shaped folder blades! Who's with me?

Blade is sexy as hell. Not too excited about the scale color, but hap40 is something I'm into. What about it makes you less than enthused?

Blade is sexy as hell. Not too excited about the scale color, but hap40 is something I'm into. What about it makes you less than enthused?

Just like you not into the jade scales. Other than that, would've preferred a bit tougher steel but I like the performance of HAP40 although I'm super anal about HAP40's proclivities toward getting tarnished very quickly. But on the whole, I'd rather have it anyway than not! You going to the library early? :D

Just like you not into the jade scales. Other than that, would've preferred a bit tougher steel but I like the performance of HAP40 although I'm super anal about HAP40's proclivities toward getting tarnished very quickly. But on the whole, I'd rather have it anyway than not! You going to the library early? :D

Don't think it'll be anywhere nearly as rabid as any of Nathan's sales. Opting to be logged into bhq tonight, set an alarm, groggily wake up and attempt to get one. Resume sleep. Find some aftermarket scales and and slap a compression lock on there.

Fin.

:D

Along with his D2 drop point hunter:

MbPvVwT.jpg

(Osage Pen was a gift from Dopic1)

I usually carry a Sebenza:

u9zaaOS.jpg

A JD Ellis Custom Lanny's Clip:

o1qYYNO.jpg

...and any number of vintage traditional folders like this 1800s J. Sziraki Pearl Lobster:

cn5Ynkw.jpg

Last edited:
At home I usually carry a griptilian with after market scales and a Vic tinker. At work I carry a small fixed blade, a Vic tinker deluxe and one of three folders. Griptilian, endura or rat1.
Lately, it’s just been my Vic and CPK EDC2 at home and work!
I love this knife!

For those NOT keeping scores:

The BHQ Lum Tanto Folder sold-out in less than 20 minutes. Anyone else beside Adam and me managed to get one?

That’s what I chickened out of!!!!
I was actually planning to compare them and keep the one that had the prettier line, but thinking about dealing with an extra one was stressing me out.

Last edited:
Tough decision but just decided to keep the recent new arrivals to add to the Millie, Slysz Bowie and the Spydiechef. I’m actually quite impressed with the Taiwanese Spydie models. Not CRKs or Shiros but still great folders if happened to have gotten them before price surges or secondary market pricing.

859D08EB-FB0D-4E46-B5BD-AAF14C8CCB80.jpeg 68DD0296-92A8-4386-A766-ED547582C6B3.jpeg

Tough decision but just decided to keep the recent new arrivals to add to the Millie, Slysz Bowie and the Spydiechef. I’m actually quite impressed with the Taiwanese Spydie models. Not CRKs or Shiros but still great folders if happened to have gotten them before price surges or secondary market pricing.

View attachment 860000 View attachment 860001

What's the one on the bottom? That looks like silver twill?

Back