What kind of folder do you carry?

Been riding with the Maxamet PM2 on shotgun lately. So far, i'm very happy with the edge holding ability. I was also fairly surprised to do some food prep, including some meat and slicing some limes, and had zero staining on the blade. If I can somehow manage to not snap the very end of the tip off, I will be 100% happy with this version. (I usually manage to have the tip on mine go missing about 1/4 to 1/3 the way up the bevel and that little nick always bugs me... It's the one reason I've gotten rid of all my prior examples).

Fortunately for you, the PM2 comes in more steel variety than any other knife pattern which I can think of! Too bad that M4 is not a perfectly suitable steel for your environment. I have no experiences with Maxamet or Rex-45, but I'm sure that other forumites can chime in.
Spyderco’s Maxamet holds an edge like nobody’s business. It’s not exactly quick to come back on the stones though if you let it go. REX45 takes an insanely keen edge (more so than M4) if you want to take it down that far. Both very interesting steels

Picked up a Native 5 Salt and SpydieChef in LC200 N.

TLvcien.jpg

ZEIbJO4.jpg

Picked up a Native 5 Salt and SpydieChef in LC200 N.

TLvcien.jpg

ZEIbJO4.jpg

Yer bugger! Gustaferian's a bad influence and a terrible enabler :D

I miss my old SpydieChef so much that after seeing that, I had to put a pre-order with Knife Center. Mind you my old one wa pre-CQI so for a few more $, I rather get the CQI version with the ceramic detent ball anyway was the new version ought to have longer longevity.

TBT, I have never been into those leaf shaped blades which Spyderco produces, hence I sold off all my Manix versions since they never grew on me but that Native in LC200N is an excellent fishing knife if you need to have one on you near salt water and to stab fish in the head :) The SpydieChef is goofy looking as heck but it make very powerful cuts because of its shape and handle! The alternative would be the Drunken for almost 2 x the price but IMHO not worth it as the Chef ids a better cutter and better slicer since it's so much thinner BTE and in the stock.

I still remain convinced to this date that the sweet spot of Spyderco Knives price wise in in that $175+ to $275 range. They sure as heck make very nice production knives in collab with some custom designers but in the higher end production knives, their QC has been lagging somewhat (old Nirvana and current Paysan for instance). In closing, I have sold off quite a few Shiros and will be going back to that Spyderco "sweet spot" I have referred to. For a Knife-Knut, they make the working man's knives ;)

I really think Spyderco has upped their game. The last few I've gotten have been super nice, the etches for logos and signatures and whatnot completely flat and even, good centering, even bevels, things like that, finishing details I guess, everything pretty much perfect. I picked up a Yojimbo 2 at Blade (cause Michael Janich was at the friggin booth) and it is definitely nicer than the one I had around 5 years ago. The new ones I've gotten recently have all been really extra good. Yo2, M390 Delica, Euroedge, Chinook 4, all so nice, they just have a more premium feel to me than the Spydies of, I guess, around 5 years ago.

I miss my old SpydieChef so much that after seeing that, I had to put a pre-order with Knife Center. Mind you my old one wa pre-CQI so for a few more $, I rather get the CQI version with the ceramic detent ball anyway was the new version ought to have longer longevity.

TBT, I have never been into those leaf shaped blades which Spyderco produces, hence I sold off all my Manix versions since they never grew on me but that Native in LC200N is an excellent fishing knife if you need to have one on you near salt water and to stab fish in the head :) The SpydieChef is goofy looking as heck but it make very powerful cuts because of its shape and handle! The alternative would be the Drunken for almost 2 x the price but IMHO not worth it as the Chef ids a better cutter and better slicer since it's so much thinner BTE and in the stock.

I still remain convinced to this date that the sweet spot of Spyderco Knives price wise in in that $175+ to $275 range. They sure as heck make very nice production knives in collab with some custom designers but in the higher end production knives, their QC has been lagging somewhat (old Nirvana and current Paysan for instance). In closing, I have sold off quite a few Shiros and will be going back to that Spyderco "sweet spot" I have referred to. For a Knife-Knut, they make the working man's knives ;)

I gotta agree with you Mat that Spydie is in their wheelhouse in that price range, and venturing above that has cost them a black eye recently.

I've also come to realize my personal sweet spot is around 2 bills for a folder. Occasionally I venture above this. Twice for Shiro's and they are just the cream of the crop. When I've bumped above $400 on a number of occasions I have kicked myself. Most recently was on an Olamic 247 - good night what a useless pocket clip! And a few tries with CRK just convince me I'll never get over my irritation with their steel. Having said that, I'm more and more convinced I really should not be venturing much above $200 for folders; not because there aren't good knives (great knives) in that range, but rather that I've just come to know I kick myself the hardest when I get disappointed in that range.

The venn diagram of my personal tolerance for quirky features in expensive knives, and Spyderco's penchant to create knives with quirks at the higher price points just has a very small overlapping area.

On the other hand, the new release Maxamet PM2 is a home run for me in terms of what I like at the price. (Premium steel, outstanding fit and finish for the brand, outstanding edge out of the box, and $200).

Guilty as charged! :thumbsup::D

Would love your opinion on that Chef after carrying for a while, I’m sure it will slice but kind of wonder if it’s good for piercing.

OK Martin. :thumbsup::)

I gotta agree with you Mat that Spydie is in their wheelhouse in that price range, and venturing above that has cost them a black eye recently.

I've also come to realize my personal sweet spot is around 2 bills for a folder. Occasionally I venture above this. Twice for Shiro's and they are just the cream of the crop. When I've bumped above $400 on a number of occasions I have kicked myself. Most recently was on an Olamic 247 - good night what a useless pocket clip! And a few tries with CRK just convince me I'll never get over my irritation with their steel. Having said that, I'm more and more convinced I really should not be venturing much above $200 for folders; not because there aren't good knives (great knives) in that range, but rather that I've just come to know I kick myself the hardest when I get disappointed in that range.

The venn diagram of my personal tolerance for quirky features in expensive knives, and Spyderco's penchant to create knives with quirks at the higher price points just has a very small overlapping area.

On the other hand, the new release Maxamet PM2 is a home run for me in terms of what I like at the price. (Premium steel, outstanding fit and finish for the brand, outstanding edge out of the box, and $200).

I would also add to that: Production level (serials) Shiros at their full whack U.S retail prices are over-priced by about 20% (happens when a high-end knife is made in another country), but apart from my NeOn Zero I had never bought any other Shiors at retail as they were all hand-me-downs! I know that you are also a very savvy punter with your play $$$, so you will not go there either.

As a parting shot, the CPK folder will not be in the $200ish range. I'd dare say maybe in the $500ish range but that's just being purely speculative on my part ;)

Back