1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What kind of lighter?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by gamma_nyc, Feb 21, 2021 at 8:53 PM.

1. gamma_nyc

gamma_nyc Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Hey all,

What is a good type of lighter to keep in a cabinet or go-bag? Butane, plasma, electronic?

I'm looking for something that would be like a luxury versus a firesteel...but function similarly, to start fire with some small kindling relatively easy, etc.

Which type doesn't leak and/or need to be refilled all the time?

Thanks!!!

PS: Zippo's - while i like the look of them, and might consider a butane version, unless they are bad in some way?

2. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Check out the Exotac Titanlight.

3. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    Keep it simple and inexpensive. Bic lighters . I like my butane lighters for cigar time, but a five pack of Bics go a long way.

Pomsbz likes this.
  4. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Bic Clic piezoelectric lighters.
    Small, cheap, lightweight, and work when they're wet.
    I have others for everyday use (not a smoker, just have to carry one) but the Bics are in my packs.

I have a couple of Zippos with butane inserts and they work well, but I wouldn't want to lose one on the trail.

5. gamma_nyc

gamma_nyc Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Thanks @IUKE12 and @Barman1 i hear what you're saying about the BIC lighters. I will pick up a few.

@jeepin those exotacs look nice! I see they are sold out on their own website (where they cost $50) but in stock on amazon where they cost $113! I will wait to see if they come back in stock on their own homepage...

The allure of the butane lighter (at least what i had hoped) was that one could light tinder while the butane lighter was upside down...which seems more natural when building a fire. So, this is more of a crutch for my bad bushcraft form than anything, lol.

6. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    A lot of popular online knife merchants still have them in stock for the original price (between $40 - $50). Only one I couldn't find in stock was orange.

gamma_nyc likes this.
  7. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Exotac makes a watertight holder for the Bic. The thing in the middle is a keychain lighter fluid holder. It holds a good accelerant for tinder. The top holder glows in the dark. image.jpeg

gamma_nyc likes this.