What kind of lighter?

gamma_nyc

Gold Member
Hey all,

What is a good type of lighter to keep in a cabinet or go-bag? Butane, plasma, electronic?

I'm looking for something that would be like a luxury versus a firesteel...but function similarly, to start fire with some small kindling relatively easy, etc.

Which type doesn't leak and/or need to be refilled all the time?

Thanks!!!

PS: Zippo's - while i like the look of them, and might consider a butane version, unless they are bad in some way?

Bic Clic piezoelectric lighters.
Small, cheap, lightweight, and work when they're wet.
I have others for everyday use (not a smoker, just have to carry one) but the Bics are in my packs.

I have a couple of Zippos with butane inserts and they work well, but I wouldn't want to lose one on the trail.

Thanks IUKE12 IUKE12 and Barman1 Barman1 i hear what you're saying about the BIC lighters. I will pick up a few.

jeepin jeepin those exotacs look nice! I see they are sold out on their own website (where they cost $50) but in stock on amazon where they cost $113! I will wait to see if they come back in stock on their own homepage...

The allure of the butane lighter (at least what i had hoped) was that one could light tinder while the butane lighter was upside down...which seems more natural when building a fire. So, this is more of a crutch for my bad bushcraft form than anything, lol.

Thanks IUKE12 IUKE12 and Barman1 Barman1 i hear what you're saying about the BIC lighters. I will pick up a few.

jeepin jeepin those exotacs look nice! I see they are sold out on their own website (where they cost $50) but in stock on amazon where they cost $113! I will wait to see if they come back in stock on their own homepage...

The allure of the butane lighter (at least what i had hoped) was that one could light tinder while the butane lighter was upside down...which seems more natural when building a fire. So, this is more of a crutch for my bad bushcraft form than anything, lol.
A lot of popular online knife merchants still have them in stock for the original price (between $40 - $50). Only one I couldn't find in stock was orange.

Have you looked at KnifeCenter ;)

Last edited:
Check out the Exotac Titanlight.

I second this as a long term storage option. I have put the Titan light through a lot of environmental testing with multiple lighters at the same time. With one being used pretty regularly as a lighter and exposed to the elements, thrown in pools of water etc. And then another just being filed and stored and used to light a couple fires once a month for almost a year. I gave the long term test one to s student as a prize at a workshop, with it still lighting from the first fill after being stored for several months.

This lighter holds a massive amount of fuel compared to the zippo I edc, even though I haven't smoked in years. I carried a zippo for years before I smoked and I've been carrying one for years since i did quit. I prefer a zippo for edc. But for a stored pack light the Titan light is my pref.

I was actually working on a review of this lighter when everything went nights last year. I'm not sure now where I put the files after I stopped working on reviews and started journaling all the insanity going on. I hope I can find them.

Bic if it's going to sit in a bag for years and have to work after that. Some kind of fancy fill it yourself fluid lighter if you use it every day; other wise it'll likely dry out in the go bag after a few years.

And if you're a bad fire lighter a mini butane torch or carry a jet boil stove in the bag too. That will light stuff like a mini tiger torch.

Bic if it's going to sit in a bag for years and have to work after that. Some kind of fancy fill it yourself fluid lighter if you use it every day; other wise it'll likely dry out in the go bag after a few years.

And if you're a bad fire lighter a mini butane torch or carry a jet boil stove in the bag too. That will light stuff like a mini tiger torch.
For the pocket micro torch, I highly recommend the Blazer PB-207...it's the original one, made in Japan. Very high quality, no child safety to deal with when hands are cold, it latches on and even comes with a base for hands free use:thumbsup: I haven't smoked for years but I still EDC it, super handy.

16153926087367436590441237209611.jpg

Bic for me, and if it is going to sit for a long time in a bag or whatever I will put a zip tie under the red gas release tab. Bics are light, cheap, reliable and durable and easy to use. Plus they never seem to run out of fuel, even when I used to smoke I dont think I ever used up a Bic. Plus they come in different sizes to fit anywhere, and colors so you can keep track of them.

i recommend the Exotac TitanLight.
it works in really cold weather and at high altitudes.
i live in the alps so thats an important factor to me.

used to live in northern sweden and bic lighters suck in cold weather,especially when you're wearing gloves.

As a smoker I edc a Zippo and use it regularly. When out in the wilds, I always carry a bic. I have several of them strewn throughout my packs, car etc.
They work, even after several years of not using - they just work. If they get wet, dry them - they work.
If you want to be on the safe side, put your lighter in a waterproof zip bag and even the heaviest rain, permeating your Rucksack, won't be an issue.

However, if you hiking in freezing temps, carry sth with gas, (Zippo, Exotac) as the liquid butane is not vaporizing enough to sustain a flame when its freezing outside.

...When out in the wilds, I always carry a bic. I have several of them strewn throughout my packs, car etc.
They work, even after several years of not using - they just work. If they get wet, dry them - they work.
If you want to be on the safe side, put your lighter in a waterproof zip bag and even the heaviest rain, permeating your Rucksack, won't be an issue.

However, if you hiking in freezing temps, carry sth with gas, (Zippo, Exotac) as the liquid butane is not vaporizing enough to sustain a flame when its freezing outside.

Seconded.

I'm all about the standard-size Bic lighters. They just work. When wet, just dry the sparking wheel by running it firmly against a dry part of your clothing or a dry cloth etc. As soon as it can spark, it will light. When solo tripping I have one in my pocket, one in my tackle box and a couple more dry ones in my pack. The 5-pack has you covered.

Another bonus feature is that Bic lighters float which can come in handy when canoe tripping etc.

I'm a cigarette and cannabis smoker and in nearly 40 years of smoking, Bic's have never failed me. I've smoked cigarettes (and lit fires) on rainy canoe trips when I was soaked to the bone.

I stored bics once with some lighter wood in a plastic tupperware container. Tried one after several years in storage, and the ferrocerium flint had turned to powder. I'll second the titanlight lighters.

Back