What kitchen knife do you use most frequently?

I've taken my folding Hocho to several parties where I help out cooking. Very handy and I always have a least one sharp knife. One friend bought one after seeing mine and likes it, but she uses it in the garden :)

I live in Hong Kong--there's a plethora of good Chinese and Japanese knives here, but the knife I personally use the most is a POS $3 knife my mom bought at the supermarket. I need to get a proper chef's knife!

Cutting by Beltrame 7" forged Italian chef knife. Bought the set from Matteo Beltrame in Maniago Italy three years ago. I love this knife.

My go to is the Santuko in this pic

HPIM0376.jpg

It isn't the prettiest but it sharpens up real nice and is a great slicer.

My wife preferred the Analon Santuko as her number "one" knife, until I got her the Analon Chef's knife.
Apart from these we also use Trident and Mundial.
I am more into knife sharpening and only do the traditional "barbecue" cooking.
The Analon's are fairly sharp when new, but once a little bit blunt I reshape the edge with my Edge Pro system.
After that they are razor sharp and will stay that way for a long period of time before requiring just a gently touch up with a very fine ceramic steel.
You won't know how good the steel of a knife is until you sharpen it properly for the 1st time and then see how long it keeps the edge.

My favorite kitchen knife right now out of 114, is a Boker Cera Titan 7 1/2" Santoku. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. Fortunately I don't think I'll ever wear it out.

Marttiini brand paring knife (yellow handle) VERY sharp very thin.

Tramontina paring knife , thicker and longer . great for sandwhiches and cutting turkish rolls in half.

Victorinox for the larger jobs

opinel 12.

I've got an OOOLLLLDDD -Robison Chef's knife that was my dad's from the 1940's - very discolored but scary sharp and well balanced - aside from that -a Dexter Russell - Sani-safe - cheap but very effective as a parer!
Revvie

I got two knives from Tom Krein.....a 5" Chef's knife and one of his paring knives....the Chef's in 154CM and the paring knife in A2, both with red liners and green Micarta.

I also use a 8" David Boye Dendretic Damascus slicing knife...as sharp as any knife that I have ever used. :cool:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I got two knives from Tom Krein.....a 5" Chef's knife and one of his paring knives....the Chef's in 154CM and the paring knife in A2, both with red liners and green Micarta.

I also use a 8" David Boye Dendretic Damascus slicing knife...as sharp as any knife that I have ever used. :cool:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
Nice knives! Would love to have that pair.
Is that cutting board about to take a tumble off the counter?:eek:

BTW, what did you think of this knife? The reason I ask is that I go to a lot of parties and cook, and carry a briefcase modified to carry my tools, but i would like to keep something like a Hocho in my car, because I seem to end up cooking no matter where I go (and without fail, the knives that are "there" are almost always dull) a VG10 cooking folder sounds pretty sexy ;)

Instead of bringing one of your knives, I would keep a bench grinder/buffer with "paper wheels" installed in the vehicle and sharpen one of their knives for you to use. They will thank you.

"paper wheels"
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Razor-Sharp-System/G5937

and a little something to keep them turning
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Buffer-w-5-8-Arbor/H4380

Just a crazy thought...

Doug

My go to is a ten inch shun classic. Gets much more use than the globals I started with.

Back