Recommendation? What knife for hiking, foodprep and light bushcraft

Which knife for hiking, foodprep, light bushcaft

• Total voters
Hello everyone, I'm new around here.

I'm a software developer that has gotten a taste for hiking due to not being on my feet as much as I was before when I was a student.

As per title I'm in the market for good hiking, foodprep, and light bushcraft knife to have on my person when hiking. This will be my first (real) knife and want the experience to be as painless as possible.

From what I've gathered on the interwebs:
  1. Get a fixed blade, they dont break as easy (also had terrible experience with one folder)
  2. Get one with a decent sheath, upgades cost more than getting one with the knife
  3. Full tang only because bushcraft and batoning
I was thinking of getting a 1095 steel blade like Becker Bk 2 or Bk16 or Esse 4 or 5. However, after seeing how they look when not cared for properly I'm doubting my ability to maintain a non stainless blade. So now I'm thinking of getting a stainless blade. I know there's Esse 4 in 440C and I've been looking at Fallkniven S1. From what I've gathered Fallkniven has better reputation, their VG10 should be better than the 440C and the grind of the Fallkniven knife should be better. The Esse knife has a better warranty, in my opinion looks less tactical and more utilitary which I like and I like the sheath better. Which one of these would you guys recommend for a newcommer to the blade market, and if there are any other you guys would recommend please do so. Money is definetly an object however I'm willing to pay a bit for peace of mind. These two knives are as high of a price as I would ideally like to go. I'm based in Croatia so prices are a bit off from USA pricing. This is the site I was looking at:

Thanks for the input

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with 440C, and the ESEE will serve you well for decades. The Fallkniven is a great option too, with slightly better geometry. Both are first class options. Myself, I would probably pick the ESEE for the warranty.

Those are both good choices, but if you’re looking for stainless I’m gonna suggest a couple others to look at too.
Bradford knives
White River knife and tool

Lot of good knives to choose from. I personally would go with White River Knife & Tool. I own three different knives they make. I promise you will never regret going with White River.

Welcome. Where to begin?

What is your budget?
How and what is your outdoors skill set?
How are you at sharpening?
Why do you think you need to baton?
How long will your hikes last?
Where will you hike?

Maybe most importantly....

Which knife on your list do you think is coolest and would make you happiest?

Push comes to shove, no doubt something like a Leatherman or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife or Mora will be more than enough knife for hiking. food prep, and light bushcraft.

But! You will want a cool knife! Its a HUGE part of the enjoyment. And we can't tell you what you think is coolest!

Sometimes I wonder on forums if posters read the entirety of the ask/thread before posting :confused:
I would vote other since you are just beginning and look at a Mora. They have a great reputation and come in both stainless and non stainless. I think learning to care for a knife is part of bushcrafting also. Once you get a feel for what you will like doing/not doing/are comfortable with, than get a more expensive knife.

Welcome. Where to begin?

What is your budget?
How and what is your outdoors skill set?
How are you at sharpening?
Why do you think you need to baton?
How long will your hikes last?
Where will you hike?

Maybe most importantly....

Which knife on your list do you think is coolest and would make you happiest?

Push comes to shove, no doubt something like a Leatherman or Victorinox Swiss Army Knife or Mora will be more than enough knife for hiking. food prep, and light bushcraft.

But! You will want a cool knife! Its a HUGE part of the enjoyment. And we can't tell you what you think is coolest!

At most 200$ I'm willing to spend on a knife at this point in my life this is again kinda irrelevant since I'm from Croatia so I still need to do my research in terms of pricing as it's very varied from the US pricing.
Quite decent for a software engineer. I was a boy scout and spent a lot of my youth in the county with my grandparents crafting stuff like ballistae, trebuchet, bows and arrows, and stuff like that out of wood and scraps.
I can sharpen a kitchen knife with one of those hand sharpener things and can sharpen an axe with a stone. Never anything more than that, soo terrible.
I don't know. Maybe a camp setup? I'm thinking about going on a multi-day hiking/camping race across Croatia.
At this point in time 6 hours max over the weekends. Hoping to get that over to like a 2-day hike on some longer routes so I want a knife to support that.
Mostly mountains here in Croatia and neighboring countries but hopefully more to other countries over the years.

I really like both knives but I'm leaning more towards the Esee look. I'm kind of divided since I've seen some reviews of Esee that don't portrait it in great light for the price.

I like this one however I'm not sure how I can be able to find one in EU especially below 200$.

Lot of good knives to choose from. I personally would go with White River Knife & Tool. I own three different knives they make. I promise you will never regret going with White River.

I like it but as well as the above comment I don't think i can find this in EU below like 300$. I do really like the Ursus 45.

At most 200$ I'm willing to spend on a knife at this point in my life this is again kinda irrelevant since I'm from Croatia so I still need to do my research in terms of pricing as it's very varied from the US pricing.
Quite decent for a software engineer. I was a boy scout and spent a lot of my youth in the county with my grandparents crafting stuff like ballistae, trebuchet, bows and arrows, and stuff like that out of wood and scraps.
I can sharpen a kitchen knife with one of those hand sharpener things and can sharpen an axe with a stone. Never anything more than that, soo terrible.
I don't know. Maybe a camp setup? I'm thinking about going on a multi-day hiking/camping race across Croatia.
At this point in time 6 hours max over the weekends. Hoping to get that over to like a 2-day hike on some longer routes so I want a knife to support that.
Mostly mountains here in Croatia and neighboring countries but hopefully more to other countries over the years.

I really like both knives but I'm leaning more towards the Esee look. I'm kind of divided since I've seen some reviews of Esee that don't portrait it in great light for the price.

I like this one however I'm not sure how I can be able to find one in EU especially below 200$.

I like it but as well as the above comment I don't think i can find this in EU below like 300$. I do really like the Ursus 45.

Yeah, the $200 limit rules the FK2 out.

The Buck Vanguard is a great knife in that price range.
k2qOHcA.jpg

The ESEE 4 is a well-built knife at a reasonable price. And it's a well designed for what you want to use it for. And you like its look.

Buy it and get out into the woods! Share pictures. :thumbsup:

Sometimes I wonder on forums if posters read the entirety of the ask/thread before posting :confused:
I would vote other since you are just beginning and look at a Mora. They have a great reputation and come in both stainless and non stainless. I think learning to care for a knife is part of bushcrafting also. Once you get a feel for what you will like doing/not doing/are comfortable with, than get a more expensive knife.
This!

I was thinking the same thing.

Hello everyone, I'm new around here.

I'm a software developer that has gotten a taste for hiking due to not being on my feet as much as I was before when I was a student.

As per title I'm in the market for good hiking, foodprep, and light bushcraft knife to have on my person when hiking. This will be my first (real) knife and want the experience to be as painless as possible.

From what I've gathered on the interwebs:
  1. Get a fixed blade, they dont break as easy (also had terrible experience with one folder)
  2. Get one with a decent sheath, upgades cost more than getting one with the knife
  3. Full tang only because bushcraft and batoning
I was thinking of getting a 1095 steel blade like Becker Bk 2 or Bk16 or Esse 4 or 5. However, after seeing how they look when not cared for properly I'm doubting my ability to maintain a non stainless blade. So now I'm thinking of getting a stainless blade. I know there's Esse 4 in 440C and I've been looking at Fallkniven S1. From what I've gathered Fallkniven has better reputation, their VG10 should be better than the 440C and the grind of the Fallkniven knife should be better. The Esse knife has a better warranty, in my opinion looks less tactical and more utilitary which I like and I like the sheath better. Which one of these would you guys recommend for a newcommer to the blade market, and if there are any other you guys would recommend please do so. Money is definetly an object however I'm willing to pay a bit for peace of mind. These two knives are as high of a price as I would ideally like to go. I'm based in Croatia so prices are a bit off from USA pricing. This is the site I was looking at:

Thanks for the input

Helle Temagami
Or to cover all situations, the iisakki jarvenpaa puukko & leuku combination a.k.a. double leuku (2 knives in 1 sheath), although they are not stainless

Last edited:
Back