What knife is in your bugout pack?

The topic of bugout bags is endless and always interesting, at least to me. Seems to me the prep is going to depend on the circumstances and on what kind of disaster you anticipate. Last night, I watched a David Canterbury video on what to pack for his 3-day survival class. So many factors to consider. But, to get back to the OP, he asked for a knife, not a multi-tool, and a folder, not a fixed blade. So, I was thinking along the lines of a robust "survival"-type knife, like a Benchmade Adamas. It falls into the "tactical" category, but I figure that anything that's made for the army is probably going to be good enough for me to survive.

Just thinking out loud here.

I keep a stainless Mora Companion in a pack with other essentials. It's radically inexpensive for how capable it is. The sheath is the worst thing about it but you can get an amazing Kydex sheath for it from RK Custom Kydex. Even after adding a Tek-Lok or soft loops, you might still be under $50 all day.

Trying to decide on a knife for my bugout pack. My Dad bought me bugout kit but some of the stuff including the knife needs to be replaced with something decent. Was looking at the benchmade bugout, the 940, and the freek. Pack is small so can't do a fixed blade even though I'm sure a fixed would probably be more practical. Suggestions?
The three folders you mentioned would probably make good choices. My only reservation on Benchmades would be the axis lock springs. If they get wet and rust they could possibly be more apt to break. Take a look at Cold Steel. The American Lawman, Recon 1 and Ultimate Hunter would be good options also. If you don’t mind springs, the Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight would be fine.

Last edited:
I'm a realist in that I know with my disabilities I will not last long in a SHTF scenario. Therefore, I have no bugout bag. I will defend my home til the end. I carry a gun because I cannot run, at least not far nor fast.

However, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I would probably keep my Becker BK-5 in the BOB. Whatever folder is in my pocket. My IWI Tavor slung across my back, my Steyr M9-A1 at 4 o'clock holster, SIG P365 SAS w/ green LIMA in a belly band small of my back, and my Beretta PX4 .40 in a shoulder holster. BOB would have my diabetes bag with plenty of pens and refrigerant packs, my other dry med container.

My only reservations on Benchmades would be the axis lock springs. If they get wet and rust they could possibly be more apt to break.

Is there a record of this happening? Are the springs not made of stainless steel or other non-rusting material? I'm new to Benchmades, and I own one with an Axis lock, so I'd like to know. Thanks.

Reactions: DMG
Is there a record of this happening? Are the springs not made of stainless steel or other non-rusting material? I'm new to Benchmades, and I own one with an Axis lock, so I'd like to know. Thanks.

I've had Omega springs break, though that was a long time ago. One of many reasons I no longer own Benchmades and will not own them.

Some members here have reported this happening. I have a 940 and 707 that have never had any problems, but they are light use, after work, EDCs that don’t really experience any wet settings. I doubt that you’ll ever have any problems, but for something like a bugout or get home bag, I not going to chance it.

I'd suggest a Cold Steel Recon 1 (big tho, 4" $100) or CS Ultimate Hunter (3.5" $115ish). Rock solid Demko tri-ad lock.

If you want something lighter and a few dollars cheaper. The Spyderco Endura or Endela.

If you really want a solid bargain knife, Ontario Rat 1 or 2 in D2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my pack, I have a Mora + CS Srk in Sk5 steel + Rat 1 D2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several members have reported springs breaking and having to be replaced. A quick glance at this thread shows at least two members having springs break.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/using-one-side-of-the-axis-lock.1774220/page-2

I've own a few BMs, never had a problem myself.

I use my so-tech medical bag to carry my camera gear around town, but I carry my folders mainly in my pocket out of habit where I can find it.

I'm more of a "get home bag" guy. It would take very extraordinary conditions to make me want to leave my home, especially on foot.

I carry a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack everyday with laptop, notebooks, and all the necessities to conduct business. On the side of that pack, I have a Maxpedition CAP pouch attached with quick release straps. Inside the pouch I keep (don't laugh) emergency poncho, compass, flashlight, small stainless ruler with T-square, Wiha bit kit, Kershaw Barge (for the prybar), Leatherman Skeletool, 25' of paracord, mini roll of duct tape, light stick, weatherproof matches, first aid kit, sanitary napkin, rape whistle and mini space pen. On the front of the Rush12 is a slim admin pouch with pens, pencils, highlighter, toothpicks, and a Write-In-The Rain pad. Also slipped into the molle straps on the Rush12 is a Cold Steel Shark and a Streamlight ProTac 90. This is with me everyday, unless I'm flying and then I remove the CAP pouch because of the blades on the Barge and Leatherman. I've played around with trying to equip a bigass pack with all the bugout gear, but my minimalist approach works best for me. This is in addition to a folder and flashlight in my pockets everyday. In my car I keep an emergency tote full of other survival gear and tools including a zombie suppression trench hawk. My goal in a shtf situation would be to get home to the homestead at all costs where food, water, weapons, dogs and my badass wife are waiting.

Anyway, enough of my "get home bag" philosophy.

As others have said, if you're really bugging out and not bugging in, a folder is of limited use. A small sturdy fixed blade would be more important along side a SAK or small multi-tool. I'd suggest a Mora Companion and either a SAK Tinkerer or a Leatherman Squirt if you're on a budget. If you must have a folder, go for the CS with Triad Lock that fits your taste. I love me some Benchmade Bugout but in reality, other than for weight concerns, it's not a bugout knife.

I'm a realist in that I know with my disabilities I will not last long in a SHTF scenario. Therefore, I have no bugout bag. I will defend my home til the end. I carry a gun because I cannot run, at least not far nor fast.

However, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I would probably keep my Becker BK-5 in the BOB. Whatever folder is in my pocket. My IWI Tavor slung across my back, my Steyr M9-A1 at 4 o'clock holster, SIG P365 SAS w/ green LIMA in a belly band small of my back, and my Beretta PX4 .40 in a shoulder holster. BOB would have my diabetes bag with plenty of pens and refrigerant packs, my other dry med container.

I've also got some health challenges and medical supplies are definitely part of my EDC. Remember that there are degrees to SHTF scenarios. Heck, Covid was viewed that way early on and still is in some cases. Even if things got really bad and supply lines went down long-term for food and medicine, a lot of people who won't ultimately make it will still have some time. In such a terrible situation, I'd like to make the most of that time and be as helpful to others as I can be.

BTW, I really like the PX4 in .40 S&W. It was actually designed for .40 S&W as opposed to being adapted from a 9mm frame. It's probably the most comfortable poly-framed shooter in .40 and having both arthritis and carpal tunnel issues, that's a plus. People sometimes balk at the 1.4" thickness but a lot of that is actually those enormous ambidextrous safety levers. Swapping them for flush-fitting decockers really slims down the profile.

I've also got some health challenges and medical supplies are definitely part of my EDC. Remember that there are degrees to SHTF scenarios. Heck, Covid was viewed that way early on and still is in some cases. Even if things got really bad and supply lines went down long-term for food and medicine, a lot of people who won't ultimately make it will still have some time. In such a terrible situation, I'd like to make the most of that time and be as helpful to others as I can be.

BTW, I really like the PX4 in .40 S&W. It was actually designed for .40 S&W as opposed to being adapted from a 9mm frame. It's probably the most comfortable poly-framed shooter in .40 and having both arthritis and carpal tunnel issues, that's a plus. People sometimes balk at the 1.4" thickness but a lot of that is actually those enormous ambidextrous safety levers. Swapping them for flush-fitting decockers really slims down the profile.

Yes, the PX4 is a great gun, I have the full size 4" barrel. Mine has quite a few mods, including the aforementioned low profile decocker. I've done the drop in competition trigger kit, competition cam block, and solid metal guide rod and upgraded spring. Recoil is about on par with my Sig P365 SAS. Its my glovebox gun. I've been considering getting night sights for it.

However, my Steyr takes the cake. Great trigger, very accurate, very mild recoil. I personall love the trapezoidal sights. However, I wish they made a night sight version. I carry the Sig the most though, just because of the size.

If I were to assemble a bug out bag, I'd probably use my Falkniven A1x, that I had reground to a full flat grind with G10 handle slabs. I'd throw a SAK Pioneer in there too.

i-gTk3tbp-X4.jpg

Cold Steel FINN BEAR (in one of my Rollator's shopping/tote bag) and ELAND (i sleeve pocket of insulated brown duck over-alls).
Mora Number 1 (in my other rollator's shopping/tote bag.)

I tend to keep a knife or two in my pocket and on my belt that are good for more than opening a envelope or Amazon box.
A Buck 110 and Old timer 7OT have never failed to do what I needed when afield, nor make me think "Gosh! I wish I had ___ instead for this!"
For whitlin, meals, and other light duty, I have a stockman in my pocket.

Reminds me ... I gotta add some good 3 blade broadhead and small game blunts to my pack ... and get a better binocular than the pocket size 7x I have now

It definitely helps to know what is specifically meant by "bugging out", as that could encompass many different types of scenarios:

- Living on on a boat
- Building a log cabin in the woods deep in the wilderness and living off the land
- Building a campfire for a night, when you don't have a shelter
- Breaking into abandoned buildings

For me the last two scenarios are the only ones worth preping for. So, a 3-4" fixed blade that can be used as a prybar and a small axe, are what I would have in an accessible location.

Trying to decide on a knife for my bugout pack. My Dad bought me bugout kit but some of the stuff including the knife needs to be replaced with something decent. Was looking at the benchmade bugout, the 940, and the freek. Pack is small so can't do a fixed blade even though I'm sure a fixed would probably be more practical. Suggestions?

I've been looking at the Cold Steel SR1 Tanto in 3V for just such an occasion. My Get Home Bag is big enough for a fixed blade but you can never have too many knives to choose from.

Swamp rat ratmandu.

I don’t really have a bug out bag. I more have a get home bag.

Eliteone2383 Eliteone2383 , same here. Since I live in the exurbs on a 35 ac parcel, am in between several large military bases, and within sight of Cheyenne Mountain (under which sits the Stargate, as you all know), I'm not worried about bugging out (Where would I go? A nuclear attack would hit me first!). I'm all about the "stuck on the highway in a blizzard/vehicle broke down and I need to stay in a motel/found myself in Denver taking care of relatives overnight/etc." events. So my bugout knife rotates from a Mora to an old Cold Steel Carbon V SRK to a Buck 110 to a Dawson, depending on season. But it's always accompanied by a SAK of some variety. I think a bugout knife should be something I can use to open a can of soup, cut a bandage/duct tape/hangnail, break a car window, skin roadkill (SAKs are very good at this!), and any other sort of real camp task you might find yourself doing if you were stuck in your car on the side of the road. I do, however, keep a hatchet in the car. I've been stuck in the mountains here in Colorado and needed wood for a fire and brush to help get a stuck vehicle out of the snow. I first used a Gerber/Fiskars Back Paxe. That one felled an aspen that got a Ford Explorer unstuck. Then I switched to a Cold Steel Plainsman's Hawk. That one limbed enough pine boughs to get a Chevy Suburban unstuck. Now I'm packing a Fiskars X7. Haven't had to use that one yet, fortunately! Pick your own poison, of course.

Filling out an emergency kit is fun. Sounds like you have some good inspiration to do a bang up job, too! Review it every six months and just remember to think about YOUR needs and YOUR locale and you'll be the best equipped for YOU and YOUR family. Engage others when they ask about emergency preparedness, too. You will inspire some to do better by their own families and they will likely give you good ideas, too.

Edit to add: FIRES!! We do have some pretty severe fire scares here on the high plains in Colorado. I have horses and getting them moved is no laughing matter as the flames approach. It's happened before and no doubt will happen again, so bugging OUT is sometimes a reality for us. Still, the same rules apply as above.

Responding to the original question. Before the Leatherman series came out, I had a discussion with Ron Hood about a small folder. He wanted a Swiss knife with a wood saw. I wanted a Swiss knife with a pair of scissors. So, at that time, 40 years ago, the least expensive model with both features was the Victorinox Huntsman.

Subsequently, when the Leatherman products came out, I wanted a Leatherman with a scissors. I believe that I have passed on all of the ones that did not have a scissors to relatives or friends.

Today, if I travel by air, in the checked baggage, I will put a Huntsman, a Leatherman and an inexpensive folder and say a prayer that some one doesn't have sticky fingers when he goes through my luggage.

Back