What knife is in your bugout pack?

Swamp rat ratmandu.

I don’t really have a bug out bag. I more have a get home bag.

A man after my own heart.

8-E1-E3-FB1-8377-4607-8-B27-118-B30-FEC19-E.jpg

F268-F623-3-FFB-46-E6-A688-BC11833581-C7.jpg

Best bug out/get home blade there is. Big enough to git R dun, small enough to carry and do all the little things.

Gerber Prodigy----picked up a couple for less than $50 each at a large box retailer------also picked a couple Leatherman Rev's for dirt cheap---might not be the most functional multi tool but gives you the basics for little money.

Eliteone2383 Eliteone2383 , same here. Since I live in the exurbs on a 35 ac parcel, am in between several large military bases, and within sight of Cheyenne Mountain (under which sits the Stargate, as you all know), I'm not worried about bugging out (Where would I go? A nuclear attack would hit me first!). I'm all about the "stuck on the highway in a blizzard/vehicle broke down and I need to stay in a motel/found myself in Denver taking care of relatives overnight/etc." events. So my bugout knife rotates from a Mora to an old Cold Steel Carbon V SRK to a Buck 110 to a Dawson, depending on season. But it's always accompanied by a SAK of some variety. I think a bugout knife should be something I can use to open a can of soup, cut a bandage/duct tape/hangnail, break a car window, skin roadkill (SAKs are very good at this!), and any other sort of real camp task you might find yourself doing if you were stuck in your car on the side of the road. I do, however, keep a hatchet in the car. I've been stuck in the mountains here in Colorado and needed wood for a fire and brush to help get a stuck vehicle out of the snow. I first used a Gerber/Fiskars Back Paxe. That one felled an aspen that got a Ford Explorer unstuck. Then I switched to a Cold Steel Plainsman's Hawk. That one limbed enough pine boughs to get a Chevy Suburban unstuck. Now I'm packing a Fiskars X7. Haven't had to use that one yet, fortunately! Pick your own poison, of course.

Filling out an emergency kit is fun. Sounds like you have some good inspiration to do a bang up job, too! Review it every six months and just remember to think about YOUR needs and YOUR locale and you'll be the best equipped for YOU and YOUR family. Engage others when they ask about emergency preparedness, too. You will inspire some to do better by their own families and they will likely give you good ideas, too.

Edit to add: FIRES!! We do have some pretty severe fire scares here on the high plains in Colorado. I have horses and getting them moved is no laughing matter as the flames approach. It's happened before and no doubt will happen again, so bugging OUT is sometimes a reality for us. Still, the same rules apply as above.
Stay safe. I lived in Colorado from 08 to 2018. Those fires are terrifying.

None. I don't have a bug out bag because I ain't going to bug out and get stuck in a traffic jam like all those that do bug out.

I don’t have a buyout bag. I do have a bag with all kinds of survival stuff in it that I tote around with me everyday though.

As for the knives... I keep GSO 5 and a leatherman wave in it.

I keep a bunch of these totes on a shelf next to my bug out truck. I’m mostly worried about hurricanes and tsunamis, so I pack accordingly as we may have to take an off-road trail behind my house to higher ground.

I keep the bag packed but in the tote to keep it relatively clean. Other totes contain additional items, and I keep them labeled so I know what I am grabbing.

I keep inexpensive Moras in them since they work well and I don’t mind leaving them unused for an emergency.
7AD181E1-6CD8-4EE9-991B-7229EBF413EE.jpeg 6776177E-7CA7-4D1D-984B-96922E917FD9.jpeg D55EC30F-3AD0-46BA-A179-F0BAC75D8E49.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a record of this happening? Are the springs not made of stainless steel or other non-rusting material? I'm new to Benchmades, and I own one with an Axis lock, so I'd like to know. Thanks.
I have had dozens of Benchmades with the axis locks for 20 years and have never had an axis spring break. There are people out there that can break an anvil in a rubber room and there are people that parrot the “my cousins boyfriends uncles dog walker broke all his omega springs in a week”

based on simply folders that I would and do have for the bugout bag Id have to go with the DPX Hest. Makes for a tough knife and secondary tool and compliments my mutlitool and fixed blade quite well.

If you concern yourself with the total weight of objects within and try to reduce, full titanium pieces by Raimund Lhotak (BladeMan) is a great answer. The top two weigh 3 oz each and the bottom one is 0.95 oz. Incredible pieces that cut as well as whatever you are using.

001 - Copy.JPG

I keep a bunch of these totes on a shelf next to my bug out truck. I’m mostly worried about hurricanes and tsunamis, so I pack accordingly as we may have to take an off-road trail behind my house to higher ground.

I keep the bag packed but in the tote to keep it relatively clean. Other totes contain additionally items, and I keep them labeled so I know what I am grabbing.

I keep inexpensive Moras in them since they work well and I don’t mind leaving them unused for an emergency.
View attachment 1552389 View attachment 1552390 View attachment 1552391
Camp 10 and Kansbol! Beautiful combo there. I already have the tan Camp 10 and been thinking if I should get the black version.

We already bugged out , 40+ years ago . :) Home is our last stand .

"Survive in place" is our game now , so in the SUV is our "get back home" and emergency gear .

I could write a boring book on survival but probably nobody would read it . Survival is a very complex issue . Your knife is important but only a small part .

Still , a good strong knife can help accomplish many tasks . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As the emergency preparedness rep for my church, I recommend a SAK of some sort as a minimum.

Adding a fixed blade to your kit is a wonderful idea but all the rescue shelters I’ve seen a “no weapons” policy that would ban any fixed blade knife.

Personally, I have a Victorinox Spartan in my bag. The wife has a SAK for in her bag, plus one in her car. Also, there is a multi-tool in each vehicle.

Plans include a fixed blade in the camping gear and one in the Cherokee when I get around to it.

Last edited:
As the emergency preparedness rep for my church, I recommend a SAK of some sort as a minimum.

Adding a fixed blade to your kit is a wonderful idea but all the rescue shelters I’ve seen have a “no weapons” policy that would ban any fixed blade knife.

Personally, I have a Victorinox Spartan in my bag. The wife has a SAK in her bag, plus one in her car. Also, there is a multi-tool in each vehicle.

Plans include a fixed blade in the camping gear and one in the Cherokee when I get around to it.
Awesome for helping out at your church, man. Perhaps something like a Mora, especially in blue or orange, wouldn’t be seen as a weapon? A Companion would partner well with a SAK.

I dislike the knee-jerk “all knives are weapons” mentality.

Back