What knife is in your bugout pack?

I was in my basement apartment in Alameda when that happened. I thought it was "just another earthquake" until it kept going . . . and a power surge fried my new 386 computer . . . and it kept going . . .
386 computer? You are dating yourself my friend!

Unfortunately, I understood the reference and quite frankly, I had one too.

I'm rocking the 10" Corona folding saw from Lowes in my backpack. Great saw for $22ish.

Last edited:
Peaceful mob will test your bug ability, not me :^)
But be the best.
All dreamers.

Sleeping in my BOB for the past years, the mighty great Dustar Demona in D2 (he is also punished because he is an overachiever that nearly separated my thumb from my hand)
Why this one? slim (somewhat), crazy sharp, incredilble balance, perfect size for everything.
It's one of my fave knives, even if I never use it.

laqSUpY.jpg

I just don’t understand everyone’s love for the Silky Saw.

I personally went for a 21 inch Sven Saw. Finding the right axe to go with it is on my list of things
The silky is just too heavy. I use an opinel.
The PocketBoy is small and its lightweight (around 6 ounces)..it’s a great little saw for a BOB or to pack for a backpacking or camping trip..I personally haven’t found a saw that better suits me for this particular situation.its obviously not idea for sawing through large logs but works great for anything with a diameter of up to 6” which is plenty big enough for anything I would ever need it for camping,backpacking or bugging out..I live in East Tennessee in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and can usually find all the wood I need on the ground for a fire from all the fallen limbs and downed trees..a heavy duty machete like a ESEE Junglas,Tops Storm Vector,Becker BK9,OKC RTAK2,etc paired with a smaller fixed blade like a Mora Garberg,BRKT Aurora,Bradford Guardian 4.5,ESEE 3,etc and a good small lightweight saw and my bases are pretty well cover...I know,I know,an axe or a hatchet is better for chopping and splitting wood than a large knife/heavy machete is and I would never argue against that but where I’m at a large knife/heavy machete works best for me and my needs..I will occasionally bring out an axe or a hatchet but mostly if I plan on chopping a lot of wood or when it’s cold and everything is frozen solid,which is pretty rare in my areas

Gerber LMF II + LM Wave

Basic (Urban) Tools ( in addition to above): 4-way Silcock Key, Ti nail puller bar (or small light steel pry bar), Knipex 8” wire/ bolt cutter, 10’+ x 2” Gorilla Tape & 25’-50’ 550 or 750 cord or better Kevlar cord.

Optional: A keyhole type plastic hacksaw with multi-purpose , small tooth blade.

Final Option: Depending on conditions of weight & need, I would add a SPAX-16 crash axe/ hydrant- gascock wrench/ pry-bar/ makeshift shovel/ padlock breaker/ manhole lifter, in nylon belt sheath, @2.2lb.s & 13”. Standard issue on Marine One. It is the one piece “ Bat Belt” of rescue-survival tools.

Last edited:
My bugout bag has a few in it. Fixed blade SOG Seal Pup, Spyderco Manix, SAK Swisstool. Not to mention whatever is in my pocket. Right now it will be an SAK, Emerson CQC15 and/or ZT0350.

My "Get Home" bag knives are a BK9, a Kabar 1217, a BK13, 2 Buck Lite 424s, a sharpening stone, and 115 9x19 "knives". The bag also holds many other items useful for getting home.

Back