What knife should I get my boyfriend for Christmas?

Its around that time of year again and I'm struggling to find my boyfriend a gift. I know he loves knives and really wants one, but I know next to nothing about knives and can't follow anything he says when he talks about them. Any ideas on what knife I should get him? I'm not able to spend more then $150 and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

What are his hobbies? Hunting and Fishing? or is he a city type?

Definitely not city type we live too far from the city. He mainly loves collecting and throwing them into things. But also uses them for cutting ropes and other stuff like that. So i guess he needs something that will last and wont break easy?

Fixed blade or a folding pocket knife?

I wouldn’t throw a folding knife and if you aren’t in the city, a nice fixed blade with a nice belt sheath might be the answer.

For a fun and sturdy beater knife you can pick up a Glock Field Knife. They are around 30 or 40 bucks and robust enough to handle throwing.

For the remaining 100 dollars you can find a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or Benchmade Griptillian. They are both popular, quality pocket knives.

Agree that if he likes to throw them, then it should be a fixed blade of some sort.
Knives designed for throwing are normally quite a bit different from those designed for cutting.

Its around that time of year again and I'm struggling to find my boyfriend a gift. I know he loves knives and really wants one, but I know next to nothing about knives and can't follow anything he says when he talks about them. Any ideas on what knife I should get him? I'm not able to spend more then $150 and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)
If you can seek a pic of some of his other knives and post it here, it might help with giving you some suggestions.
Even a list of brand names of some of his knives would help.

Definitely a pick or the model of knives he has or even brand would go a long way.

Fallback option, Sharpmaker and diamond rods to keep all his knives sharp if he doesn't have a good setup already.

I think it was mentioned, see if you can get some details of his current ones, and what some of his hobbies and interests are to get a better idea of he may like. Let us know and I think it is nice you are trying to get something he likes and surprise him. I like the idea of a fixed blade and a folder if it fits your budget, that way you can cover both fixed and folders users, a combo package. :D

I'm sure he doesn't JUST like throwing them. Just pick him up either a new Gerber Mark II dagger or a new Gerber Covert in Multicam camouflage (if automatic knives are legal to own in your state).

Or if you want to go a little easier on the budget you could pick him up a Cold Steel Drop Forged double-edged Boot Dagger.

All of the above should be well w/in reach of your budget and I'm sure he'll more than satisfied getting any one of those, I know I would. :)

If you can seek a pic of some of his other knives and post it here, it might help with giving you some suggestions.

That's the best advice yet.
Sneek a picture of his other knives and post it for us. Other wise you'll just get recomendations on every ones favorite knife and that won't help you at all.

Get him a Buck 110. Everyone should own at least one. And there is a huge variety of handles, blade steel, brass or nickel silver bolsters, clip or drop point blade shape. It's highly unlikely you will buy him one like he has already has (if he does have one) and you have an opportunity to buy one unique to you that you like and he will think of you when he uses it. It's to late to make one at the Buck custom shop and get it in time, but there are so many out there. Many dealers have unique 110s made special for them to sell. Just look around. Check the Buck forum here in BF too. Good luck!

What kind of work does he do?
One more option, of the many that you've already heard, would be a traditional pocket knife like a Case.

as was mentioned look at Cold Steel knives and maybe some of the Cold Steel enthusiasts here can guide you to the best one like the Recon1 mentioned above. I would vote against a push dagger its a self defense knife and limited in its use. same with the dagger or double edged knives. not good ideas in most areas .
cold steel has many quality knives for those on a budget . I own a cpl myself.
Bets of luck in the search and your BF is a lucky man !!

What kind of work does he do?
One more option, of the many that you've already heard, would be a traditional pocket knife like a Case.

I agree with this. Getting a nice traditional knife would be a good idea. They're small enough to always throw in his pocket whether he was carrying something else or not. The idea of picking out something he's interested in will make it a special gift regardless so I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you choose. He might also dig getting something YOU think is cool. Check out Case and GEC...

I wish I could post a picture of what he has, but he's in Oregon for a year and can only visit once a month. I could try to get him to send me a picture of what he has or try to get a list of the brand names that he has.

Get him a cold steel throwing knife. That would run 30 to 40. Get it sharpened and it will cut and throw. Next you can down the rest on a nice folder or a user package as I call. Get something like an Ontario rat 1. It a folding knife and around 30 . Then you have about 60 to 80 left to get a decent fixed blade. This covers all 3 bases. A thrower for fun, folder to carry and use, and fixed blade. You can find great deals on the sales page.

Find a dealer with GEC/Tidioute/Northfield classics still in stock, (they tend to sell out quick as they are typically made in limited quantities and highly sought after); the GEC website has a list of authorized dealers with links...

Buy him one of those as a classy daily pocket carry that he can appreciate for years to come as their quality is 2nd to none...

You might still have enough left over for a set of 3 cheaper Boker Magnum bo-kri throwing knives, which while cheap get pretty consistent good reviews as pure throwers...

Last edited:
Back