What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

I'm not usually one for suggestions since I think the designs that are already in place are pretty amazing.

Though, how about a sub-forum designed knife? Nate can give a range of parameters (blade length, handle length, etc.) and the folks here can put up a design. Then, from there, we can take a poll of favorite design elements and amalgamate those into one design. Could be a monstrosity, could be a pretty utilitarian design.

Ha, in all seriousness, I'd like to see something with a wharncliffe blade shape.

Also, something in Vanax SC. I'd say a small Bird&Trout type knife or small EDC would be a good starting point to test out the steel; have .010" behind the edge with a 10 DPS secondary bevel. Really push the stuff and see what the users here can do with it.

Last edited:
I’ve been giving this some serious thought lately. There are a bunch of knives I would like. Top of my list would either be a small kitchen knife (like a parring knife) in D2 or a Chefs knife in whatever steel Nathan deems best.

Those would get the most use, everyday.

Last edited:
I’ve been giving this some serious thought lately. There are a bunch of knives I would like. Top of my list would either be a small kitchen knife (like a parring knife) in D2 or a Chefs knife in whatever steel Nathan deems best.

When we're up at the cabin my wife and I like using AEB-L in the kitchen ;)

IMG_20200802_215959_copy_876x1168.jpg
IMG_20200828_153854_copy_876x1168.jpg

Any particular reason why? Is it more stainless?

Because it's the only sharp knife there lol. We share the place with our in-laws, sister in-law and let friends and family stay whenever they ask to use it. As a result everything in the house is a conglomerate of extras collected from over the years. The knives left here are crap.

Joking aside... yes we can be a little more haphazard with it and it will resist staining better it's also (for me) much easier to touch up. Notice the junk cutting board... quick strop and it's back out side with me cleaning fish near the lake, taking back lilies along the shore line, splitting kindling etc. then at the end of the day just like everything else it gets sponged down with the dishes and thrown on the drying rack for the next day. In the end I feel a small sense of freedom knowing how low maintenance it is. I could and i'm sure it would be fine if I did that with my Delta 3V ( and I have in the past with the edc both in D2 and 3V up until the DEK) but I tend to baby those more after use.

Side note: its the only CPK I bring around saltwater. I absolutely love everything this knife is. That being said I'm excited for my 3v version as well.

BTW This is the post that got me hyped about AEB-L. I listen carefully to everything this dude says...

The person I collaborated with on the design was in the military. he observed that while most enlisted men are gearheads, they're not all knife nuts. And they are judged on the condition of their gear. So many of them are going to choose gear with lower maintenance requirements and will choose a stainless steel over a better, but rust prone, steel. With that in mind we have offered a stainless variation of the Utility Fighter. I chose aeb-l because it has a combination of edge stability, corrosion resistance and toughness that I like. It is not as weak as most stainless, and the edge is not chippy or crumbly or mushy like most stainless. It behaves almost like a simple carbon steel.

we used Elmax on the previous run, and it is also a fantastic stainless steel. Way underrated, I think because many folks have experienced it with a less-than-ideal heat treat. However its biggest strength over aebl, very high abrasion resistance, was not the mechanism most of the casual knife users were dulling their knives. They scrape and clack it into shit. Use a rock or a steel tailgate as a cutting board. Mechanisms where that wear resistance does not pay a dividend. And when they do it was difficult for them to re-sharpen. Aeb-l does not have that problem. Edge stability is key, and aebl has that in droves.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200801121304377_COVER_copy_1169x877.jpg
IMG_20200724_135831_copy_1169x877.jpg
IMG_20200730_110312_copy_1169x877.jpg
IMG_20200801_203549_copy_1102x826_1.jpg

Because it's the only sharp knife there lol. We share the place with our in-laws, sister in-law and let friends and family stay whenever they ask to use it. As a result everything in the house is a conglomerate of extras collected from over the years. The knives left here are crap.

Ha yeah we have sharper image knives at our cabin. Many times I'll just grab my convexed Busse for food prep

Joking aside... yes we can be a little more haphazard with it and it will resist staining better it's also (for me) much easier to touch up. Notice the junk cutting board... quick strop and it's back out side with me cleaning fish near the lake, taking back lilies along the shore line, splitting kindling etc. then at the end of the day just like everything else it gets sponged down with the dishes and thrown on the drying rack for the next day. In the end I feel a small sense of freedom knowing how low maintenance it is. I could and i'm sure it would be fine if I did that with my Delta 3V ( and I have in the past with the edc both in D2 and 3V up until the DEK) but I tend to baby those more after use.

Side note: its the only CPK I bring around saltwater. I absolutely love everything this knife is. That being said I'm excited for my 3v version as well.

BTW This is the post that got me hyped about AEB-L. I listen carefully to everything this dude says...

View attachment 1432882
View attachment 1432883
View attachment 1432884
View attachment 1432885
Chain Pickerel? It's a beauty!

A paring knife like. I agree. With holster to take to the field.

Back