What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

I'm all about a folder, and of course curious to see what Lorien has in the works.

More of a philosophical question, does CPK need to make another knife?

I'm just wondering how the models will progress, make something for a while until market saturation, or make it until it's boring to do so?

Just my curious nature, no one lynch me please.

it's always dangerous to limit exploration. Production capability and quality control will ultimately dictate how many new paths can be trod at any given point in time, but ideas should always flow.

CPK is not my baby so I'm in no position to decide anything in that regard, but because practicality and pragmatism has thus far dictated the approach to manufacturing knives, I view CPK in a similar light as Randall Made Knives wrt a refined, intentional approach, immune to fads, standing the test of time, and with something for just about any knife user. The options for a solid line up of knives are myriad, and this is just the beginning.

To my mind, it makes more sense to commit fully to well received and developed patterns, while adding new ones to the repertoire as demand dictates, and product development allows. The market generally fluctuates wrt the popularity of certain genres of knife, so if you can develop a solid performing model in a targeted approach to as many genres as you want to explore, then you will always have something that the majority of consumers at any given point in time will want. This versatile approach is the great strength of independently owned, small businesses.

There is a logical next step here, and in my mind that's a survival knife.
Then maybe a reintroduction of the kitchen knife and a slab handle version of the dagger.
Maybe squeak in a heavy chopper somewhere.
Perhaps followed by a bushcraft/hunting knife and then perhaps the folder.
A hatchet/tomahawk would be a good addition, as would a khukuri type thing, down the road.
Other potential good fits for CPK would be a fillet knife, throwing knife, a kid's knife and some kind of multi tool thing.
And, definitely, ninja stars.

Interesting Lorien. I asked the question because the EDC has not been released yet, but were talking about the next knife. I love a fast pace as well and admit I don't know the business plan.

I'm down with a kids knife. I'll get one for my son right now. So awesome.

Ninja stars, what could go wrong!

Pardon my naivete but how would a survival knife differ from say the Field Knife or a Bushcraft knife? Are we talking about bells and whistles like ferro notch, bow drill divots and some serration, or perhaps wire cutters and a pry bar thingie? I really hope you guys don't go all D.P.X on us :D

I can see desire for a knife between the sport car FK and sport car LC, that is more tough but still sporty, but I don't want a stupid heavy survival type knife from CKP & Lorien. I want sport cars and sexy sexy. There are 1,000,000 other survival knives out there. Same goes for ugly cheap knife. Waste of Nathan's talent and skill IMO. Leave junk to someone else.

Coincidence Nathan is talking about a ugly line of cheap knives and Ellie @ Survive announced plans for cheap ugly knives?

HMMMMMM!

Without naming names, which will undoubtedly ruffle many feathers, there are already waaay too many makers who present to the market (whether as purely production, totally custom or anywhere in between) brutishly unrefined looking blades (note that I don't wish to use the term ugly, as beauty is in the eye of... well you know the rest). IMHO, CPK need not get into the business of over sharpened pry bars made out of super steels.

I like the idea of the skinner a lot. I think that especially given the thin edges that seem achievable a utility/woods knife with a FFG and low drop or spear point on a 4-5'ish inch blade would be the bee's knees.

There weren't as many people trampling each other for the LC's Friday but definitely a couple more runs of those!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12" blade slightly thicker medium chopper. And I also want a field knife or two. The ugly Betty sounds amazing would it be 3v?

Pardon my naivete but how would a survival knife differ from say the Field Knife or a Bushcraft knife? Are we talking about bells and whistles like ferro notch, bow drill divots and some serration, or perhaps wire cutters and a pry bar thingie? I really hope you guys don't go all D.P.X on us :D

no gimmicks, no serrations, just well designed, solid and dependable. Think Fallkniven A1 or somesuch. 6-7" blade, with the ergonomics and quality you expect.
Please never bring that other brand name up again here, or you will be flogged :)

no gimmicks, no serrations, just well designed, solid and dependable. Think Fallkniven A1 or somesuch. 6-7" blade, with the ergonomics and quality you expect.
Please never bring that other brand name up again here, or you will be flogged :)

I can get on board for this, particularly the last part.

Throw in tarred and feathered and then we'll have ourselves a deal :D

well, I was gonna come back and delete that last part of my post since it's not particularly professional on my part to make fun of other like businesses, but since you quoted it, I'll just apologize, recognize my error and move on. Like I did the last time I did this:rolleyes:

So, sorry DPX Gear. I mean you no harm.

I just realized that I was the bone headed buffoon, because in the first part of my own darn posts I had said not naming names and then I had a complete episode of A.D.D. withing 10 seconds later on! :D

That said, the said maker closed the designated subforum on BF looong ago and seemed that no longer wanted to be represented on here.

Anyway coming back to the main theme of discussion, major kudos for no "gimmicks" on the CPK Survival Knife model. Now I get it as to why they call it survival since you mentioned the Fallkniven A1, i.e, a 6+ inch but not quite 7 inches knife capable of doing almost anything, if that is all one was left with!

Back