What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

would it be possible to make a slick opening folder that normally be considered a "gravity knife" and engineer all the gravity out of it? basically use different materials to change to center of gravity of the blade.

what if you drilled holes in blade near pivot and inserted super dense material like tungsten or ???? and balance the action so with super minimal effort it opens like an asssisted but cannot open with flick? maybe friction also needed?

Is there any chance of seeing a comeback of the Light Chopper?

Otherwise I’m holding out for the medium chopper.

The light Chopper is retired however the Medium Chopper has many of the same attributes and is just getting started.

I'm working on a replacement for the LC currently. It's not a direct replacement, as the initial LC design was pretty specialized. What I'm developing will be much more versatile, and 'chopper' won't exactly be an apt descriptor- even though it will chop!

The light Chopper is retired however the Medium Chopper has many of the same attributes and is just getting started.
Bummer, they sell in seconds even at the scalper prices. I’ll try to get a proctor for the medium chopper when they come out. Thanks!

I'm working on a replacement for the LC currently. It's not a direct replacement, as the initial LC design was pretty specialized. What I'm developing will be much more versatile, and 'chopper' won't exactly be an apt descriptor- even though it will chop!

Very cool! I really enjoy what you come up with and look forward to seeing what’s next.

As for the machete idea, I like short machetes, 12”-14” would be the max for me.

Bummer, they sell in seconds even at the scalper prices. I’ll try to get a proctor for the medium chopper when they come out. Thanks!

Very cool! I really enjoy what you come up with and look forward to seeing what’s next.

As for the machete idea, I like short machetes, 12”-14” would be the max for me.
Proctor? What kind of test will you be taking? :p

that's BC territory, but hell, if enough people like machetes I'm more than happy to start designing one. I like about 18" max of blade for around here

Bob- wtf are you using a machete for?! Actually, I don't wanna know:eek:

Machete! :thumbsup:;)
0EHevTI.jpg

Last edited:
D3V would lend itself well to a machete, since it remains quite flexible at high hardness

Bob- wtf are you using a machete for?! Actually, I don't wanna know:eek:
Hey Lorien, i always was under the impression that a lot of base machete brands like tramontina kept their machete steel a bit soft as the regular use of machetes (i guess this is somewhat more the case for 16" and above) often included clearing grasses, bushes etc with sweeping blows quite close to the ground. Such swings made the chances of the blade hitting the ground or a concealed rock eventually pretty high and the soft steel meant youd get a roll rather than the blade chipping. Also meant sharpening was quicker and easier.

i myself have certainly hit the ground a few times when doing low blows with machetes and once hit a concealed star picket in long grass.

You think this doent hold much validity or perhaps is more applicable to lower quality steels that have a higher chance of big chips over than 3v?

Hey Lorien, i always was under the impression that a lot of base machete brands like tramontina kept their machete steel a bit soft as the regular use of machetes (i guess this is somewhat more the case for 16" and above) often included clearing grasses, bushes etc with sweeping blows quite close to the ground. Such swings made the chances of the blade hitting the ground or a concealed rock eventually pretty high and the soft steel meant youd get a roll rather than the blade chipping. Also meant sharpening was quicker and easier.

i myself have certainly hit the ground a few times when doing low blows with machetes and once hit a concealed star picket in long grass.

You think this doent hold much validity or perhaps is more applicable to lower quality steels that have a higher chance of big chips over than 3v?
I think that would be one of the advantages of CPK's D3V. 3V in general is one of the toughest steels available.

With Nate's heat treat, it combines excellent edge retention while still maintaining that toughness (check out the videos on YouTube of Nate hammering through solid concrete blocks with minimal edge damage).

We've also had CPK owners accidentally chop into a rock with a missed swing. Minimal edge damage.

The reason so many companies go with the softer heat treats that can be hammered out, vs higher hardnesses that will potentially chip/crack/break is because it's a lot cheaper/easier to do it that way for durability, vs D3V that combines both the toughness AND edge retention.

I'd like to see a 6 piece kitchen set....4 Steak Knives, 1 Pairing Knife, and 1 Kitchen Knife.... That's all you need....until then I have my edc2 for small prep, and my HDFK for large kitchen duties. My other HDFK is reserved for outdoor tasks, until I am able to keep adding to the collection or "addiction" as my wife would say.

Oh, I'd also 2nd a camp Hatchet/Axe like mentioned above.

Last edited:
Back