What knife would you use to kill a bear?

I just got done reading the following articles and was wondering, what one knife would you want to have if you had to try and kill a bear with it?

Man Kills Grizzly Bear With Knife
August 26th, 2007 NewsEngine Posted in Wild Animal News |
Chris McLellan, 32, said “I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time,” while speaking from a hospital bed in Edmonton.

McLellan, had recently moved from Nova Scotia to Alberta three days earlier and was scouting locations for the start of bow-hunting season south of Grande Prairie when the grizzly bear attacked.

Just after sunset, he ran into a mother grizzly with three cubs. At first, the bear was concealed by a small hill and McLellan didn’t see it until it stood up.

“She was attacking,” he said. “She just stared into my eyes the whole time and you could just hear her coming, huffing and puffing across that field.”

McLellan, armed with a digital camera and hunting knife, quickly grabbed the camera, hoping its flash would scare away the grizzly. When the flash wouldn’t go off, he dropped the camera and pulled out the hunting knife.

“I put my knife above my head and waited for her to hit me,” he said. “She just mowed into me like a football player doing the old shoulder check.”

The bear lunged into McLellan’s stomach and bit down on his left arm. As the two struggled, McLellan plunged his knife into the bear’s back.

“I sunk the knife right to the end and instantly I could still see the blood spraying,” he said. “I must have hit an artery because I was covered head to toe with warmth instantly.”

As the bear continued to bite McLellan he was able to stab the bear two more times in the neck area.

The grizzly turned around and left, giving McLellan time to get up and walk away. After an investigation of the scene it became evident that McLellan had indeed struck an artery in the bear which died of consequential wounds.

AND this one

55 Year Old Ontario Man Kills Bear With Knife
Black Bear, Human Predation, Natural History, The Right Stuff

Tom Tilley and Sam the dog

Reading of the death of Dr. Jacqueline Perry, last September, in a bear attack, Waterloo, Ontario resident Tom Tilley resolved to arm himself with a six inch hunting knife. Perry’s husband had tried unsuccessfully to drive off the bear which was attacking his wife, futilely stabbing at it with a Swiss Army knife.

(Since this was Canada, nobody even thought of carrying a gun.)

Tilley’s decision to carry the knife proved providential. Last week, during a 12-day canoe trip, Tilley found himself being stalked by an aggressive black bear near Abbey Lake (in the vicinity of Wawa, Ontario)

When the bear blocked Tilley’s path, and began advancing menacingly, Sam, his Staffordshire terrier, came out from behind his master, and placed himself between Tilley and the bear.

The bear grabbed the dog in his jaws, but thinking to himself “’You’re not going to kill my dog,” the horrified Tilley drew his knife, and advanced to the attack. Tilley leaped onto the bear’s back, and began stabbing. Though bitten on the hand, Tom Tilley killed that bear.

The wounded man was able to drag his canoe over a short portage and crossed a nearby lake where he was able to find some American campers equipped with a satellite phone. They summoned a float plane for an emergency medical evacuation.

Kitchener-Waterloo Record

Jacqueline Perry attack

Wikipedia has a incomplete list of fatal North American bear attacks. There have been a dozen people killed by black bears since the year 2000.

P.S. The knives I would choose from would be a Matt Lamey Bowie, Burt Foster Camp knife, or maybe a Mineral Mountain Survival Bowie

Last edited:
When I am out in the woods I carry a large (9" +) fixed blade so any of mine would do.

While it's been done before, I'd say killing a bear with a knife would depend a lot on sheer determination and a lot of luck.
Probably a very important point would be the handle. If you didn't have a secure grip, you'd be apt to lose your knife, while in combat with such a powerful animal.

Kershaw Chive :D

All kidding aside, probably the biggest baddest bowie out there. Something in the vicinity of Moran's ST24 fighter (I reckon I might not be alive after fighting a bear with a knife, I might as well use the best one money can buy)

One that was dull and kind of rounded so it wouldnt hurt so bad when he shoved it up my a$$!:eek:--KV

Well, everyone knows that all bears are left-handed, and always lead with a left hook. That's knowledge I would use to my advantage, to deftly dodge the bear's clumsy attack and sink my Mora Clipper deep into the beast's throat.

One that was dull and kind of rounded so it wouldnt hurt so bad when he shoved it up my a$$!:eek:--KV

+1:thumbup:LMAO:D

Seriously,If all I had was an edged weapon,it would have to be either a large/long,sword or a spear.....the longer,the better.

oh yea & some bearspray

Not cool for General Knife Discussion, KV.

How about I move this incisive debate on premium cutlery to a more appropriate forum? Wait, I don't think we have a more appropriate forum. I would hate to pollute W&SS with it.

You all behave or I will clean up your act.

My bad Esav. Wont happen again but I couldnt resist that one and didnt think it would offend:eek:--KV

A Bear! :eek:

Nothing less than a Samuari Sword! :D

I've read stories of Bears being shot 14 times with a 44 magnum before going down. I don't think your odds are too good with a knife. imho.

Bill

Back