What knife would you use to kill a bear?

In a combat knife, nothing less than a Gerber Mk II will do. The only purpose they are made for is for our special forces to kill enemy sentries silently, and they do a quick job.

In a combat knife, nothing less than a Gerber Mk II will do. The only purpose they are made for is for our special forces to kill enemy sentries silently, and they do a quick job.
There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start. Where did you come up with the information in this amazing statement?--KV

I will recount one of the "adventures" of Elmer Keith..."inventor" of the .44 magnum...
He was part of a line...leading several hunting companions, guiding a mule pack-train while crossing a narrow mountain ridge-line, with no place to go on either side of the trail...but straight-down.
The guy near the end of the "line" heard a growl, turned around...and saw a grizzly coming up the trail, quickly from behind, ostensibly to attack the last mule.
As the bear approached rapidly, the fellow never thought about his rifle in a scabbard on the mule, but instead grabbed an ax from the mule's loaded pack. He swung hard and sunk that blade into the bear's skull, and the bear was last seen rolling down the ridge, the ax still embedded in the bear's skull, toward the lake at the bottom of the mountain.
That's the blade I would want...
If you like western adventure...read some of Elmer's books...
Don

I will recount one of the "adventures" of Elmer Keith..."inventor" of the .44 magnum...
He was part of a line...leading several hunting companions, guiding a mule pack-train while crossing a narrow mountain ridge-line, with no place to go on either side of the trail...but straight-down.
The guy near the end of the "line" heard a growl, turned around...and saw a grizzly coming up the trail, quickly from behind, ostensibly to attack the last mule.
As the bear approached rapidly, the fellow never thought about his rifle in a scabbard on the mule, but instead grabbed an ax from the mule's loaded pack. He swung hard and sunk that blade into the bear's skull, and the bear was last seen rolling down the ridge, the ax still embedded in the bear's skull, toward the lake at the bottom of the mountain.
That's the blade I would want...
If you like western adventure...read some of Elmer's books...
Don
The axe is a weapon/tool with great stopping power.
Not so sure about the Mark II stabber.
Maybe if you hot the bear right in the heart.
But if not. Good luck with the 'wrestle'.
I have seen too many video's of people fighting/stabbing several times with knives where the one being stabbed was not going to lie down quickly.
Though some do, depends on where a person is stabbed.
But a huge bear...
A kukri or good machete might be a good choice.
If you chop its paw or nose off....

The bear will not be so nosey anymore.

You guys are getting me confused!

You can't say "Ax" because an ax isn't a knife. Just like "gun" isn't a valid answer in this thread. However, I just might pack an ax as backup to my Gerber Mark II. Or my kukri.

Bear hunting sure is complicated!

Haha, true that.
Though it has an edge on a blade.

Steel nerves along with perfect timing and coordination goes a long.
I read that Nepalese men/Gurkha's sometimes killed a tiger with their kukri.
Probably a one chance shot/strike you have with them.
Sometimes they were both found dead. The Gurkha and the tiger.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start. Where did you come up with the information in this amazing statement?--KV
Before a purchase, you do the research. Research the Gerber Mark II. It is more than a stabber. It is a "disemboweler". Of course you are entitled to a different opinion, and you shouldn't have a Gerber Mark II if you don't have confidence in it. Many knives can serve as game skinning or camping tools. But not the MarkII! It is carried for only one dark reason.

Before a purchase, you do the research. Research the Gerber Mark II. It is more than a stabber. It is a "disemboweler". Of course you are entitled to a different opinion, and you shouldn't have a Gerber Mark II if you don't have confidence in it. Many knives can serve as game skinning or camping tools. But not the MarkII! It is carried for only one dark reason.
And that "dark reason" is Bear Hunting? :confused:

No more than the M16 is for deer hunting! Come on. Wake up and smell the coffee!
I just want to be clear on which knife would be best for, as the thread title asks, bear killing. Is the Gerber "too much knife" for bears?

I don't want to get out there with my Gerber and then, mid bear-encounter, realize I should have had my kukri.

I just want to be clear on which knife would be best for, as the thread title asks, bear killing. Is the Gerber "too much knife" for bears?

I don't want to get out there with my Gerber and then, mid bear-encounter, realize I should have had my kukri.

I don't think that you are very serious; you are just interested in having fun. And I guess that is okay. Gerber makes many other utility type knives and even hybrid hunting/camping/utility knives. But they don't sell many Mark II's, because their ONLY purpose is to dispense quick death. They were designed by US Armed Forces commandos.
And the men they are issued to- are also trained in how to use them.
I really do not need mine because I never expect to be in that situation.
I am now 72 years old.

If you are in a knife fight with anyone or anything, the MkII gives you a serious advantage. Just go "google" it and read the testimonies. YOu don't normally see them at knife shows. They ain't pretty and they don't inspire polite conversation. They cause a 1 inch wide entry wound, but, when properly withdrawn, they can leave a two foot long slash a foot deep. I am not enjoying talking about this. I kind of wish I didn't own mine; they are not the kind of knife that gentlemen own.

I am certainly having fun, and I thank you for being a good sport. I kinda thought I was in a different part of the Forum, haha.

I see you are new! Welcome! This is a great place, and lots of the ladies and gentlemen here own all kinds of knives!

Funny thread, no?
There are all sorts of knives, from bowies to wakizashis that would be suitable for dispatching a bear, or a small dinosaur. Actually, that what I look for in a knife. Doesn't everybody? Truth be told that was the original intention behind the Busse Battle Mistress but Gerry got distracted designing the Busse folder and, well, I digress.
Anyway, if you are fighting a bear with a knife you've made a serious mistake already.
Personally, when I find myself in that situation I just use a nail file to keep it interesting.

My research didn't turn up anything about the MKII being a "disemboweler" and I doubt seriously a grizzly would be impressed by your one dark reason or threat of "quick death".
I don't have any confidence that there is an adequate blade to kill a grizzly including your Gerber wonder knife. A 12 gauge 870 loaded with slugs is what the proper authorities use.
I am sure I could skin game or do camp chores with a Mark II without any disemboweling happening.
I'm not sure what your age has to do with this discussion but I assure you, there are a lot of old timers on here that are very knowledgeable.
You might want to read a few posts before you continue to come across as an expert on killing grizzlies with a knife.--When in doubt see post #13 --KV

My research didn't turn up anything about the MKII being a "disemboweler" and I doubt seriously a grizzly would be impressed by your one dark reason or threat of "quick death".
I don't have any confidence that there is an adequate blade to kill a grizzly including your Gerber wonder knife. A 12 gauge 870 loaded with slugs is what the proper authorities use.
I am sure I could skin game or do camp chores with a Mark II without any disemboweling happening.
I'm not sure what your age has to do with this discussion but I assure you, there are a lot of old timers on here that are very knowledgeable.
You might want to read a few posts before you continue to come across as an expert on killing grizzlies with a knife.--When in doubt see post #13 --KV

You men might like to read the Biography of Wade Hampton, Governor of South Carolina and Commander of Confederate Calvary under Robert E. Lee first and then Joe Johnston. General Hampton was a wealthy plantation owner both before and after the war. His hobby was bear hunting in the mountainous area of western South Carolina.
And he always insisted on dispatching the bears with his knife in one of one combat- after the dogs had brought them to bay. Wade was 6 foot tall and 245 pounds and he was reputed to be the strongest man in the Southern Army. His biography said that he slew hundreds of bears in this way. He is also credited with personally dispatching 26 northern cavalrymen in one on one combat, and he wouldn't count those who he shot while they were trying to escape. His bear tactic was to rush the bear from the side, get it in a headlock, then slash its throat, and hold it in his grip until it bled out. Don't try this at home. He used a long bladed knife similar to a kitchen butcher knife. I think he might have been addicted to adrenaline-producing experiences.

And he always insisted on dispatching the bears with his knife in one of one combat- after the dogs had brought them to bay. Wade was 6 foot tall and 245 pounds and he was reputed to be the strongest man in the Southern Army. His biography said that he slew hundreds of bears in this way. He is also credited with personally dispatching 26 northern cavalrymen in one on one combat, and he wouldn't count those who he shot while they were trying to escape. His bear tactic was to rush the bear from the side, get it in a headlock, then slash its throat, and hold it in his grip until it bled out. Don't try this at home. He used a long bladed knife similar to a kitchen butcher knife. I think he might have been addicted to adrenaline-producing experiences.

Rush the bear from the side get it in a headlock and slash its throat.
While the dogs kept the bear busy like they do when hunting hogs...

Wade was a major asshole in my book.
Owned many slaves. Loved to kill bears. And probably enjoyed killing people.
Sympathised with the KKK.
Really good example of a human being .

Rush the bear from the side get it in a headlock and slash its throat.
While the dogs kept the bear busy like they do when hunting hogs...

Wade was a major asshole in my book.
Owned many slaves. Loved to kill bears. And probably enjoyed killing people.
Sympathised with the KKK.
Really good example of a human being .

No, the dogs were held back on leashes during the man on beast combat, partly because, in the melee, the dogs likely would also attack Hampton. Before the war, the holders were slaves. After the war, the holders were the same family friends, but they were paid wages.

Great soldiers don't apologize for enjoying triumph over the enemy of their homeland.

You may not have read that, in the early days of the Colonies and early USA history, that, in some regions, bear meat was often more of a staple than venison. But I agree that Hampton did not need to kill all the bears he killed. It was not a good thing.

And you are entitled to your own opinion regarding your comments.

Back