What knife would you use to kill a bear?

A 200 lb juvenile black bear maybe.

Humans are great predators given time and planning. When a bear is stalking you and gives you 2 seconds to react you are done. Make no mistake when in large bear country humans are part of the food chain and we aint at the top.

The toughest, strongest most badass human can still be decapitated or nearly cut in half with one paw swipe form a decent sized bear with intent.

The size of the fight in the dog plays a small role and depends on the bears intent. If that big griz wants you, your war face means nothing.

I think people have it right in this thread. They are the apex predator in their environment and must be treated as such.

Skam

Real talk. To imagine fighting a bear, imagine a 2 year old child fighting an enraged professional wrestler with a spiked, 3lb sledgehammer in each hand. That's the kind of lopsided contest you're dealing with. Getting smacked with a bear's paw is like getting hit by a cinderblock. No matter how tough you are, you don't shake that off. If the bear connects with you even once, you're done.

The knife in my pants.

No bear is mean once you wrassle it down and give it a good anal rapin'. They just hump up and cry like the new punk.

Prizzunsecks.

Savvy?

However, wrasslin' it down and holdin' it in position whilst you disrobe poses a distinct shall-onj (challenge, in case you missed it)...

If you're in Bear country with nothing more than a knife, you aren't practicing a little thing called "situational awareness".

The knife I'd want to kill a bear with?

Whatever one was in your hand when I shoved you into the bear and took off running like hell for the horizon.

If you kilt that b'ar and come lookin' for me then I say: "Hey man, can'tcha take a joke? I was only kiddin', baby, whassamatta witchu innywayz?"

Besides, everybody knows that the brown ones can't climb trees.

supertroop1.JPG

Fighting a bear with a knife? I'd have to go with one I could make a damn good spear with. That and it'd have to be my lucky knife cause i'm going to be needing a hell of a lot of that to.

guess, out of any, i would carry the Cold Steel Bushman Bowie with a 6-7 ft shaft/walkin stick. try to get a pair of trees or a large split trunk tree between me and the bear. just keep sticking the spear point in as many times as i can as fast as i can . would worry that the haft might break so would make my walking stick out of ash, hickory, oak, or some kind of local "Ironwood" type stuff. the blade is very deep from spine to blade and would make great bleeding wounds.

for grip on the shaft of the spear, you could wrap it with some duck decoy nylon string that goes to the decoy anchor. then go over that with some fiberglass resin. will adhere to the wood and keep the string from unraveling or moving on the shaft. that should keep the spear in your hands unless it gets a lucky pull. Leave the last 3-4 feet smooth wood up to the mounted knife.

for mounting the knife onto the walking stick/spear haft, drill a moderate size hole completely through the knife handle using the original hole as a guide. use a round-head carriage bolt/nut/washers to get a firm grip of knife with the shaft.

After you wipe the tears of laughter off your cheeks and catch your breath, wha'da' ya think there?

--------------- Eric

Stabbing will work much better than chopping, all that thick fur and layer of fat is going to pretty much stop any chopping action.

My bare hands...if I was Chuck Norris. Since I'm not, I guess a Remington semi shotgun with slugs.

Big chunky blade=fail imo, hard to maneuver while bear lying on you (it will be after your first swing), also hard to penetrate deeply with an adequate force. A sword? No way bear is gonna keep his distance for you to swing it. Unless you get lucky on the first hit with a sword, more likely there won't be second try, bear will close the distance forcing you to the ground. I wonder if one may have a better chance of slitting bears neck, cutting blood vessels and nerves, rather than trying to reach for the vital organs hidden behind thick fat and fur/skin, besides neck should be easier to reach assuming bears head will be near your face in the process of the attack.
From the knives that I have Dozier KS-3 would be my choice.
I heard the stories when wild animals mutilated and dismembered people in a matter of seconds so I really think that fighting and killing a bear with a knife is nearly impossible.

Myth. "KA-BAR" came from "Case Brothers"
The guys at Ka-Bar would like to argue with you on that point.
How KA-BAR Got Its Name

Our name dates back to the early 1900's from a fur trapper testimonial. He wrote that while trapping, his gun jammed leaving him with only his knife to kill a wounded bear that was attacking him. He thanked us for making the quality knife that helped him to kill a bear, but all that was legible was "K a bar". Honored by the testimonial, the company adopted the phrase KA-BAR as their trademark.
http://www.kabar.com/about

[video=youtube;AvN7KiXCEIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AvN7KiXCEIE[/video]

The guys at Ka-Bar would like to argue with you on that point.

http://www.kabar.com/about

Given I know all "the guys at KA-BAR" I will certain call B.S on them the next time I see them. Most of the cutlery industry was once owned by the Case family and their various cousins and in laws. Common knowledge by anyone that has studied industry history. Guess where "Kinfolks" got its name. :)

I would use whatever is available on my belt, when in the bush I always carry a fixed blade. I hope I never get into a situation where I have to fend off an attacking bear, but if it comes down to it then work on the bear with the knife like it would be the last time in your life. And hope for a good outcome. I look at my fixed blade as a self defence tool for bears as much as I look to the life jacket under my seat when on the plane. Its nice to know that its there, but hope I never have to use it.

A 3 year old thread just recently dug out of archives......for a link of an attack......from 2006...........

Anyone else getting tired of this thread, a lot of better more informative ones.
This horse has been whipped to the bone already.

Back