What Knives Are Better Survival Knives Than The Esee 6?

The 6 is probably the knife for the "one knife option" that would actually work.

GSO 3.5.
I have a 4.5 too:
IMGP4352.jpg

Small knives are good:
IMGP4421.jpg
You have either an edc4 or a 4.1 as the 4.5 is yet to be produced lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well spotted, one is 31/2" and the other 41/4". They are MKII's with the improvements? Had them a while now and use them both; prefer them over any folder.
As we are on "survival" these do give huge confidence that they aren't going to fail all of a sudden. Stay sharp for an age and nice and keen. Not heavy either.
I'm a fan. I have a few knives and it takes something special to get me to buy another. Survive Knives GSO's got my attention, as has the Skrama.

Does the beer market do London Pride, Otter Pale Ale, or Spitfire? Where would the fun be if there was only one beer?
I drink Shnapps in the Alps, Whisky in Scotland, Poitin in Ireland, Vodka, freezed, in Russia, Gin in London, and I was too far gone to know what some red neck had given me last time I was in the good old USA (I blame my hair loss on that!)

Last edited:
If I had to choose a single production knife to beat the ESEE 6 for me, I'd pick the Boker Plus Vox Rold.

While you guys are arguing I'll have set up camp, shelter up, fire going, and dinner on the go :p

[video=youtube;MxbNupxUygM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxbNupxUygM[/video]

Not bad...
But I'm sure someone will be along to ask "Who will think of the trees?"

[video=youtube;tFUDEmMjC-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFUDEmMjC-c[/video]

As to be expected, there are a bunch of solid choices that have been mentioned. Nlewman, I am with you on this one: snag a Busse AMS. When I am in the field, I am likely to have this one on my person. The knife can be carried and hardly noticed. Love the ergos and the general heft of the blade. Then again, some may carry the SFNO and be tickled pink. I could be content with the Kabar or a Mora Robust for that matter, but I'll have my Basic 9 with me on the next camping excursion unless God forbids it.

As far as the Esee 6...this is a fine survival blade. But then again, what about a Fallkniven A1 Pro? Or like Pinnah, why not try the French idea of the perfect survival knife? We all have differing tastes and concepts that are coupled with opinions. Add a bit of time in the bush and notions/preferences are happily formed.

Enjoyed reading the comments on this topic. Sort of reminded me of the ancient .308 vs 30-06 debate!

Not to mention its symmetrical design makes it weighted well for a deadfall itself if I dont want to use the large rock deadfall method . Which I havn't done yet I'll admit however the symmetical shape and its sheer weight suggest it is an optimal deadfall option .

The day I carry a heavy knife and say the weight makes it a "deadfall option" is the day I should no longer be able in the woods.

To the OP: A Mora is always a great option when you plan to cut things. Fallkniven makes fantastic purpose -designed knives.

Its been a while since I was last your side of the pond. Don't have the shooting invites I used to (mainly through the British Army); so a while ago. Had some good times but every Fort had Cool Lite as the sponsor, watery stuff; we thought the jugs were pints. Last time over it was for Shot Show (just to see what us Brits can't have); Las Vegas didn't have a good selection but then being a tourist I didn't know where to look.

Must find an excuse, or get an invite.

Its true, GSO's are hard to get, or at least wait. Good things are worth waiting for. (Had good authority Skramas will be back in stock 3-4 weeks, can only be got from one place).
Heck there is no best knife, and where would the fun be if there was?

I don't look at Coors lite as really as Ale, Stout or IPA ether, It's well, Something to drink when its hot and you are really thirsty for water with just a slightly relaxing kick.

Just like Beer, Ale, Stout, there is a knife for every occasion! ;)

I don't look at Coors lite as really as Ale, Stout or IPA ether, It's well, Something to drink when its hot and you are really thirsty for water with just a slightly relaxing kick.

Sometimes bad beer is the right beer.

Aye, well said! :thumbup:

Coors Lite thats the one; other sponsor was Bud Lite; I do know what you mean, cold and wet after a hot day. Pims with a sprig of mint, Bacardi Swizzler, or even Rum and Coke, for the Safari Club veranda at the end of the day. Not sure thats survival? Or the place for a BK9. We all refine out knife choice for the occasion. Dress knives and tool box knives. When it all goes pear shaped it good to have some kind of knife on you even if its a penknife.

Moras are good but I tend to break them, feather weight. Fallkniven make good blades.

Last time I took my SO hiking in the San Gabriel mtns for a vacay weekend - passed by a trio: nearly naked couple of guys and a lass walking barefoot on some jagged rocks. I'm not even sure how they made it halfway up the trail (blood everywhere on their feet). I left them alone since they seemed to have a very strong fascination with staring at the sun.
Had an ESEE Junglas with me to help clear the brush in the deeper parts weirdly enough.

Why would brush need to be cleared at a National Monument? Unless of course you work on one of the fire teams or conservation corps...

Why would brush need to be cleared at a National Monument? Unless of course you work on one of the fire teams or conservation corps...

Not all of the San Gabriel Mountains are within San Gabriel National Monument, plus, whether within or not, some areas are heavily overgrown as soon as you step off of the trail.

Not all of the San Gabriel Mountains are within San Gabriel National Monument, plus, whether within or not, some areas are heavily overgrown as soon as you step off of the trail.

Of course not all of it is. Whether you are in the monument or not does matter to a park ranger. Stepping off the trail is arguably one of the many reasons the San Gabriel has become so trashed as of late.

Well spotted, one is 31/2" and the other 41/4". They are MKII's with the improvements? Had them a while now and use them both; prefer them over any folder.
As we are on "survival" these do give huge confidence that they aren't going to fail all of a sudden. Stay sharp for an age and nice and keen. Not heavy either.
I'm a fan. I have a few knives and it takes something special to get me to buy another. Survive Knives GSO's got my attention, as has the Skrama.

Does the beer market do London Pride, Otter Pale Ale, or Spitfire? Where would the fun be if there was only one beer?
I drink Shnapps in the Alps, Whisky in Scotland, Poitin in Ireland, Vodka, freezed, in Russia, Gin in London, and I was too far gone to know what some red neck had given me last time I was in the good old USA (I blame my hair loss on that!)
Yea I love my gso's as well ..high quality at a low price

xt2kR5Q.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've also got to say GSO seems awesome, but for around 200-250 dollars you can get a great knife from a company I found just started and the guy is a sniper J. Wolfe Cutlery where there's a bravo4 is the main knife. Seems like an awesome value for the knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Le_g-zNJCE&index=1&list=FLM7N2fFoVJYUWJe4PgJDWng

Honestly though, from a strictly utilitarian standpoint of getting work done, what's wrong with a KaBar Becker BK7? That thing just seems like a massive utilitarian thick piece of 1095CV high carbon steel.

Back