What knives do Special Forces use?

I think that if you really wanted to know what they carried during operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, there are several military communities online. It's mostly legit too, falsifying valor is a huge no no, and a big part of communities like that is investigating claims, advice for younger soldiers, veteran meet ups, etc. Also, Mark and Curtis from Spartan Blades are both ex SF. Not only would they probably contribute to this discussion if someone reached out, they could probably give you a better idea of where to go for a wider survey of active SF.

I don't know anything about SF, only the fun parts of what my brother did, who he was with, and what he personally saw (that I asked about). Back to the OP, I agree with this. There are specific forums, one very well known one, that I believe can answer these questions better.

With that said... Why was a thread from 12/25/13 exhumed. Lol.

I think that if you really wanted to know what they carried during operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, there are several military communities online. It's mostly legit too, falsifying valor is a huge no no, and a big part of communities like that is investigating claims, advice for younger soldiers, veteran meet ups, etc. Also, Mark and Curtis from Spartan Blades are both ex SF. Not only would they probably contribute to this discussion if someone reached out, they could probably give you a better idea of where to go for a wider survey of active SF.

I'm following one such community forum and what I read there tells me that fixed-blade knives are carried/used, and not cheap knives either. Example: Spyderco Warrior that Sal developed with input from the SF community. The original ask for the Warrior came from Israeli Special Forces. My understanding is that the new Pygmy Warrior is even closer to what SF guys want. I'm using the term SF here in its wider sense to include elite units outside of the US too.

Curtis and Mark won't be making knives for the SF community if the community (active and retired) didn't need/want to carry such blades. Same goes for Chris and his Professional Soldier series of knives.

This statement is so ignorant, but I guess you are indeed entitled to your opinion...

Then again, maybe you have forgotten what a "knife" truly is supposed to offer to you...

Regardless, most of the soldiers I have come in contact with will carry multi-tools mainly... and a folder... When asked about a fixed blade they laughed and told me in 100+ degree weather the last thing you want is another 1 or 2LBS to add to your load... when their already carrying 80-100 LBS of gear and forget about it in mountainous terrain..

Also... in todays "modern" combat field, the engages happen from hundreds of yards away, soldiers aim through optics to take pot shots at the enemy... it isn't trench warfare were soldiers duke it out with fists and knives...

Only rarely would any soldier need to use a knive to "drop some1", and if a 3-4" folder cant achieve that then you need to get some training with knives...

Off topic, but what the heck. To me, it's pretty rediculous the loads our soldiers are required to carry on a regular basis. It would seem that in most cases, light and fast would be more effective and safer than being loaded down with 100 lbs of "stuff" that you will rarely need.

With that said... Why was a thread from 12/25/13 exhumed. Lol.

Threads like this get resurrected often - people will search "What knives do Seals carry", and this is the first thing that comes up in many similar searches - once they hit the front page several people comment. I guess it's better that having a new Navy Seal knife thread every other day.

Spartan fixed blades, certain custom makers like Bill Coye, and many of Harsey's other designs (CRK or and even moreso the Boker one) are all popular among the military, although I don't know how many will put up the money for one. I have no evidence that any of the warrior knives from any maker have been especially popular with American military, or any reverse grip knife for that matter. It is popular with Israeli forces, some Russian forces, and some others though.

Soldiers are conditioned to carry their gear in. Basically, gear is separated into first line and second line gear. The first line gear is their fighting rig and weapons, and the second line gear is their pack and all the equipment they pack in. Essential equipment will be further divided, so they can separate it from their bigger pack in case they need to ditch it (maps are always kept on their person, and reconaissance and communication gear can be carried alone in their own pack). They really do cut the fat, but with communications, water, supplies, ammo, night vision, reconaissance gear, computers, medical equipment, and all the other mission essential gear, there is really no way to cut it down much further. If they get in a bad situation they may elect to ditch some of their gear, but you don't want to leave much of that stuff for the enemy to find. If a piece of equipment is very important, they'll bring two. If they don't bring it, they won't have it, and not having it could be the difference between success or failure, life or death, etc. They don't have to keep it on their backs at all time though - it can be stashed in a hide and retrieved when they exfiltrate. You really start to aclimate to carrying a load after a bit, and their gear is engineered to disperse the load and make it as easy as carrying 80lbs can be (it's good to have boots for ankle support too). It always sucks to carry heavy loads though, and I consider 20-30lbs heavy myself.

Ultimately, I think it's a mistake to think that the knives special forces use are any kind of benchmark or standard. Modern military likes to use knives that double as utility and fighting knives, which isn't that far removed from the civilian market. Knives like the SRK, SOG's value knives and Ka Bar will always be favorites because they are the cheapest quality fixed blades you can find, and there will always be some people that invest more for a knife they like, or that offers features they think they need.

I think mainly multi-tools and light cheap fixed blades. Expensive stuff tends to get lost or stolen. I've seen the Gerber LMF been recommended several times for deployment. Or a RAT-1 for example if it had to be a folder.

Dude they carry SOGs like its a no brainer, they have a loud Marine spokesman! No disrespect meant, just a joke.

They all carry an ESEE_6.

The fixed blade the EOD tech in the Hurt Locker played by Jeremy Renner was a BM 155 non serrated. The CO carried a SOG Bowie.
A Col. I knew in Delta Force (he since passed away) carried a Randall No. 1.

Last edited:
I like how so many people in here go full elitist in their attitudes and look down upon those who want discuss carry options for soldiers.

In my opinion edged weapons have been around this long for a reason. Just because the Chinese came up with gunpowder doesn't mean edged weapons are now instantly useless. A soldier in 2014 may not be the same soldier as the one in 1014 but he's still a warrior and a warrior imo would be wise to give himself options.

That said, if I had to choose something suitable I'd say a soldiers could do worse than a BM 375 Adamas fixed blade. D2 steel. Excellent functional hard use serrations on the spine, double edged tip and slim profile with it's cord wrapped handle. The thing is useful both as a tool and a weapon.

What I know from my time in afghanistan:
My battalion was issued gerber 06 autos, half of which did not even make it through premob training ie lost, broken, ect). Mine stayed in my pocket, used daily, and to this day is solid as a rock with afghan dirt packed all inside. On my IOTV I had a 12 dallar sw hrt2. Sheeth clip broke first mission out. Abused, dull, dirty, still good to go today. Some guys had big harpoon shaped (spax?) Custom made from Bradley armor.
Large combat knives are somewhat obsolete for modern military. There is so much gear and weight as it is. A knife is more a tool than weapon. As a saw gunner, minus the consortium of crap in my assault pack, my kit consisted of the following: IOTV with 4 sappi plates front, back, sides, camel back, IFAK, NVG+mount, 600 roumds of linked 556, 1 spare barrel, 1 m67 frag, m249 with 12 in barrel, eotech, bipod, 200 rd nut sack, ir strobe, spare batteries, mossberg 500a with 25 assorted shells, kneebow pads, helmet, eye pro.. probley forgetting a few things but you get the point. If you are down to a knife you are SOL. And you could stop a threat much faster by simply bashing an enemy's skull with a buttstock, barrel, rock, whatever is hard, and available to KO a mofo Chuck Liddell style. Conventionally speaking. Blunt objects were man kinds first weapon, blades were not a weapon until the spear became.

As far as special forces, I seen them most of the time with suppressed rifles/pistols. Why sneak in for a knife kill when you could just pop their top especialy when using a blade is hardly clean, fast, or quiet like on tv. They carry whatever, im sure they get rediculous amount of free stuff from companys wanting feedback, support groups, donations..

One other point ill make is that most "sf missions" are such that if they are killed or captured there needs to be at least a time frame where the enemy cannot ID them, or there nationality. If you kill a soldier who has a TOPS knife marked "made in usa" thats kind of a given.

Last edited:
One other point ill make is that most "sf missions" are such that if they are killed or captured there needs to be at least a time frame where the enemy cannot ID them, or there nationality. If you kill a soldier who has a TOPS knife marked "made in usa" thats kind of a given.

I lol'ed at that one. Just thinking of what an enemy might think if you're carrying a "made in China" blade :D
On a serious note, I think your points are valid. That said though, there are a couple of SHTF scenario's I could think of where it would be pretty handy to have a capable knife on your person, like cutting loose stuck clothing or gear. I don't think you'd need to carry a beastly bowie for that but something along the lines of a Spyderco endura/police/military with at least around 4" of cutting edge would suffice. Thanks for your service.

Ka-bars
Issue Bayonets
Some of us had Randalls. I had a Busse for a short time I carried, and I had a Randall #15.
Chris Reeve knives, some had as well.
Most on the teams are not that into knives, just is a tool.
Most everyone has a clip on folder these days - benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT seem most popular
Most everyone has a Multitool - Gerber or Leatherman. I used a Leatherman Skeletool recently, and a traditional leatherman years back.
If in a heavily forested or tropical environment, a machete or Khukri.

I have two friends who have been handed down Randall model 1's from parents who served in Vietnam during late 1960's. One 7" and one 8". Both original owners stated they received them for graduating from training.
I also know a recently retired SEAL who showed me the Randall 14 he bought and carried in Iraq.
A retired Green Beret A team member told me he carried the issued bayonet and his own purchased Benchmade switchblade folder.
Other such men have answered my questions about what they carried with "I don't remember" or "whatever they issued at the time".

And you'd be wrong. SEALS are issued a Cold Steel SRK during BUD/S.

I'll second that: I know for a fact a few Cold Steel fixed knives are actual SF and Army issue, a rare priviledge indeed, but Lynn was asked not to publicize this and he didn't... One of the other CS issued is the Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri... The Cold Steel SRK and Recon Scout are also very popular, and common as private purchases...

To denigrate CS as Mall Ninja stuff is being just about as clueless a one can be...

Gaston

Whatever is sold at the PX or Clothing sales, bought by family or friends, donations from knife makers and knife companies, sold at local shops/stores, etc.... They're tools and will be used as such!

Haven't picked up a copy of Soldier of Fortune lately but I thought it was all about Tomahawks now? Knives just weren't cutting it.

well, the seals are the best of the best, and you would want the best equipment for your solders. when i think of the best, cold steel doesn't jump out at me. :p
Not a lot of fixed blade knives weighing this little can stand up to this

https://youtu.be/mN0kfBMt-5M

I have one, and the edge retention is way better than the some of the nonsense that can be read on these boards.

Back