What knives would you include on an all-time landmark/watershed knife list?

Mauser had a sawback 'pioneer' bayonet, the S98/05 S, used from 1898.
yes indeed.. ouch!
a much finer set of teeth was utilized
for the soviet akms :)
which appears to have been adopted on a couple of different manufactured sawback
bayonets by other nations since

Why a specific Griptilian?
Well, two reasons:

1. I felt like it was a cop-out to include the entire huge Griptilian series.
  2. I feel like the 550-1 is "best in breed".
    1. It has the 20CV blade steel, which is a small upgrade from S30V and a large upgrade from the old 154CM
    2. It has the G10 scales whose traction is not overly aggressive (as the standard FRN scales are),
    3. It has the "SpydieHole", which is more appropriate to this design, since it will not interfere with through cuts like the thumb stud does.
The 555-1 (which I think is the Mini version of the above) is a contender for those who prefer the smaller size.

Rather than specific knives, I'd be more interested in the significant FIRSTS.

In other words, sure the Griptilian and PM2 are big sellers...but what knife was the first with an Axis lock? The first with a Spider hole?

Extend that to the first frame lock or liner lock, first thumb stud, first titanium knife, etc. Those things were game changers more than the best selling, or best known knives they evolved into....

That would be a separate thread, since first SpydieHole (for example) is not necessarily the watershed version of the knife. Sal Glesser would surely agree.

"...they were somewhat stale at the turn of the century and they're positively mummified now..."

Both are without question landmark/watershed knives, which is the subject of this thread.

That doesn't make them any less boring, nor does it save them from outdated materials, tech, and construction styles. There have been new watershed knives in the intervening 60+ years since those knives were released, from which I would choose for such a list. Good knives from the past are still good knives, even if they're not as good as good knives from the current year.

Mora with red Birchwood grips.
Opinel, and other friction folders/"Penny Knives".
Buck 110.
Barlow. (has been in production since the 1700's)
Sunfish (large 4 inch plus closed).
Marlin Spike.
Swiss Army knives.
Stockman.
Trapper/Moose/Muskrat.
"Nessmuk" and "Kephart" fixed blades.
Old Hickory and Russell Green River "Buffalo" skinner, (honorable mention to the slightly smaller "Sheep's Skinner")
Hudson Bay pattern fixed blade.
While I have zero use for one, a "Bowie knife".
Douk Douk.
Mercator.
Drawing a blank on the original's name. :( The Cold Steel Kudu and Eland are copies.

EDIT
4 blade Scout/Camp/Utility/"Demo" knife.

That doesn't make them any less boring, nor does it save them from outdated materials, tech, and construction styles. There have been new watershed knives in the intervening 60+ years since those knives were released, from which I would choose for such a list. Good knives from the past are still good knives, even if they're not as good as good knives from the current year.

"That doesn't make them any less boring..."

I didn't ask about "boring", "stale" or "mummified." I asked about two specific qualities. The knives mentioned are particularly germane to this thread.

The true winners in this category in current production are the KA-BAR 1217 USMC, the Buck 119 and the Buck 110. With a smattering of Barlow and trapper pattern knives in the mix.

Indeed, knife designs from the past are almost always better at CUTTING things. May not be flashy or tactical but they cut.

Old classics, now irrelevant:
Buck110
Ka-Bar USMC Knife
Victorinox 40P
Case Peanut
Opinel No 5
Schrade 1080
Schrade SP2

Mid-century advancement:
Buck 110 one-arm bandit - one hand opening
Buck quick-draw sheath - "auto" open folding knife from pocket/sheath
USAF Pilot Survival Knife - Knife designed to pry, saw, and baton
Spyderco Worker - integral one hand open and close
Boye Cobalt Folder - rust proof folding knife
Victornix keychain knife - blades to the masses
Parker Stockman - japanese knives designed and imported by American company on large scale
Gerber Bolt-Action - injection molded handle, one hand open and close refinement
Chris Reeve Sebenza - titanium framelock, knives as "expensive" products with high standard

Moderns:
Benchmade 720 - aluminum handle mass production, popularized axis lock
Benchmade 750 - titanium framelock mass production
CRKT M16 - popularized flippers
Emerson Commander Wave - further refinement of "auto" open folder
Spyderco Pacific Salt - H1 steel, rust proof with more acceptable sharpness/edge retention
Chris Reeve MKVI - one piece hollow handle
RAT-3 - EDC size full-tang fixed blade
Kershaw Leek - assisted opening
CRKT Ripple - popularize IKBS
Spyderco Mule - designed specifically to test different steels in the same form factor

Post-Moderns:
Ganzo 720 - Chinese knock-off knives are now "good"
Cold Steel American Lawman - tri-ad lock
Medford Praetorian - titanium framelock, visual design cues over pure function
ZT0456 - steel lockbar insert for titanium flippers
ESEE-6 - full-tang fixed blade designed to pry & baton
Spyderco Manix Maxamet - ultra-high performance steel in a small & relatively inexpensive folder

Just a list off the top of my head

Indeed, knife designs from the past are almost always better at CUTTING things. May not be flashy or tactical but they cut.

Depends on what and where you're cutting. If it's not warm, dry, and low-stress cutting material that easily yields once started - most of those designs are pretty poor. There's nothing worse than having to use a Buck 110 to cut 150 times over a 12 hour day outside in the mud and rain. It beats up your hands unnecessarily and as the day wears on it becomes a chore to close where the blade wants to bite every time it snaps shut. It cuts great, but it's slippery and heavy and has outdated ergonomics.

Regardless, these discussions always devolve into who's pocket talisman is better. I'm not interested in that, it's much more interesting to just use the knives, figure out how they perform and discuss strengths weaknesses.

Regardless, these discussions always devolve into who's pocket talisman is better. I'm not interested in that...
But you seem to be the main one doing that in this thread. This is supposed to landmark/watershed knives, but you keep insisting on denigrating the ones that aren't interesting in your opinion. Even when you gave a list to meet the topic of the thread, you made to sure to label one category as "irrelevant". So if you keep pushing, you shouldn't be surprised when people push back.

-Tyson

Depends on what and where you're cutting. If it's not warm, dry, and low-stress cutting material that easily yields once started - most of those designs are pretty poor. There's nothing worse than having to use a Buck 110 to cut 150 times over a 12 hour day outside in the mud and rain. It beats up your hands unnecessarily and as the day wears on it becomes a chore to close where the blade wants to bite every time it snaps shut. It cuts great, but it's slippery and heavy and has outdated ergonomics.

Regardless, these discussions always devolve into who's pocket talisman is better. I'm not interested in that, it's much more interesting to just use the knives, figure out how they perform and discuss strengths weaknesses.

If my task is cold, wet, and high-stress I bring a fixed blade, especially in a work environment. And I find the 110 a pleasure to operate and use inside it's design parameters, which are centered around cleaning game in the field, at which it excells.

But you are right my friend, it does often go that way. This is all in good fun and in the name of discussion though, for those of us without an agenda.

Without completely falling into the rabbit hole of specific historically significant knives, (but agreeing with others), Merriam-Webster defines "watershed" as:
-a crucial dividing point, line, or factor : TURNING POINT
(Not the "nicest" persay)

So the list would certainly be incomplete without;
An early axis lock
An early TriAd lock
An early spydie hole
An early Emerson wave
An early CRK frame lock

Even as more recent-ish developments, they all certainly have significantly impacted the current knife market in the folder realm.

One specific I would also add to the list, as someone mentioned the AKM used by the Soviets, would be the 1st prod. M4 bayonet used with M1 carbines, as the sword like bayonets, (like the infamous 1907 model), were being replaced more and more by knife like bayonets, the M4 has that iconic "fighting knife" design;
a quick search shows they were produced by;
Aerial Cutlery Manufacturing Co.
Camillus Cutlery Co.
W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.
Imperial Knife Co.
Kinfolks Inc.
Pal Blade and Tool Co.
Utica Cutlery Co.

Also what is considered the 1st "knife" bayonet to be a regular issue in a major army, developed in Germany some 60 years earlier, the Seitengewehr, m1871/84... not really the "turning point" persay, but certainly the pioneer...

Followed up by the 1st Gen. Phrobis III M9 getting honorable mention, based on the russian AKM, which both gave us the current designs.

Last edited:
Buck 119
Buck 110 - I think I prefer the 112 myself
Swiss Army Classic - I seem to remember reading that this is the #1 selling knife worldwide...I could be wrong of course.
Case Peanut/Trapper
Mora
Opinel
Spyderco Delica/Endura/Paramilitary 2
CRK Sebenza

Well, two reasons:

1. I felt like it was a cop-out to include the entire huge Griptilian series.
  2. I feel like the 550-1 is "best in breed".
    1. It has the 20CV blade steel, which is a small upgrade from S30V and a large upgrade from the old 154CM
    2. It has the G10 scales whose traction is not overly aggressive (as the standard FRN scales are),
    3. It has the "SpydieHole", which is more appropriate to this design, since it will not interfere with through cuts like the thumb stud does.
The 555-1 (which I think is the Mini version of the above) is a contender for those who prefer the smaller size.

OK, now I understand.

And I agree with you that the 550 is best in class if you ignore the Ritter model.

As for the -1, it’s blade steel is a matter of personal preference. And, yes, the G10 scales are superior, without question.

However the FRN scales serve me just fine even though I would like to upgrade. I have four Griptilians and my wallet and myself do not see eye to eye about the purchase of four sets of scales.

As for the Mini, once again, it is a matter of preference. I have grown to appreciate the full size Griptilian instead. It is better with work gloves than the Mini.

The Mini will always excel in one area though. Pocket carry.

Overall, you make a good argument for the 550-1. I tip my hat to you for your logic and reasoning.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="strategy9, post: 20145310, member: 417310"

....One specific I would also add to the list, would be the 1st prod. M4 bayonet used with M1 carbines....[/QUOTE]

Why not the M3 Trench Knife?

All M4 through M7 bayonets are based on the M3.

Back