What Leather are you Totin Today .

SmFvV7Q.jpg

This knife, sheath and belt.

L7iMUSL.jpg

This slip IWB holster.

uWb7vZf.jpg

I made everything above cept the pistol.

Come evening time we trotted north about a mile to a friend's place to play with his mechanical cow. Much more leather then involved. Black Mountain from behind the house as we trotted north.

iXiz7po.jpg

Working the mechanical cow or flag as they are sometimes called.

cj9N1d0.jpg

Who says big ole stout ranch/rope horses can't move?

bO18UNh.jpg

Nichole on Lil' Man can flat get er done too.

1hTR43g.jpg

Last edited:
The only leather touching knives that I'm totin today is this tacky but effective pocket pull on my ZT0452CF. The knife is long with a deep carry clip, so there's not much to grab at the pocket edge. The weighted lanyard allows me to wrap my pinky around it and grab the rest of the knife as it emerges from pocket.

34e84k6.jpg

But I have been giving my latest holster a good workout so I know how the multiple bondings and wet mold will hold up. Six to eight months in (I forget), worn every day of the week, and it's doing pretty good.

10p3gxl.jpg

I am loving that pocket pull, very nice:thumbup:

This knife, sheath and belt.

L7iMUSL.jpg

Working the mechanical cow or flag as they are sometimes called.

cj9N1d0.jpg

Who says big ole stout ranch/rope horses can't move?

bO18UNh.jpg

Nichole on Lil' Man can flat get er done too.

1hTR43g.jpg

Dave , I find it interesting that a guy who makes the most beautiful handle scaled knives , personally carries a knife with no scales :)

Also how does that mechanical cow work ?
Is it for practicing and teaching the horse quick direction changes for like when your " cutting out " a animal from the herd ?

There is some interesting leather being shown here by everyone , keep the pics coming .

Ken

Dang Ken nice photo. That shot makes that belt look really cool! Glad you're liking it. Ya know I'd never really thought about it that way, my own personal knife not having scales. It is kinda funny. I don't really offer that knife to order. I usually make up one here and there from damascus scrap, when I don't have enough dammy left over to make one of my regular knives. But I do have two on the bench right now with handles. So what does that mean? It means I screwed up the placement of the holes is what that means.

Yeah the mechanical cow is a tool used in "cutting" to teach the horse a lot of different things: how to rate a cow, body position, stopping hard, turning fast. The main trianing principle of how it works is basically the horse by nature is looking for the easy way out. So if he goes way past the cow on the stop, you hurry him through the turn and then hurry to catch up. If he's late on the turn you hurry him to catch up. Pretty soon he's saying: ya know if I stop when the cow stops and turn when the cow turns its a lot less work. Then pretty soon he's doing most of it on his own and he's better at it then he can be with me doing all the direction. The horse like the rest of us learns through repetition and this mechanical cow (because it will do what you tell it too unlike a real cow) can provide the horse with the repetition it needs. This one is suspended on three cables that run the length of the arena. The cables have a motorized box on one end and pulleys on the other. One cable controls the head, one the shoulders and one the butt of the mechanical cow. The cow itself is stuffed nylon. The unit is remote controlled by a glove thingy that my friend Buck wears. Its set up so he can be working his horse on the mechanical cow and still actually control what the cow does. Buck is really good at this and coaches us when we're working. We're not cutters but doing this work is fun and it does make our horses better for some of their jobs on the ranch. But tell ya what. My ol horse Sonny, who is broke to death, solid as a rock, can ride through fire, the first time I was over at Buck's and that little stuffed cow turned its head and looked at Sonny it was all I could do to keep him in the the arena with that thing. Now he's stopping so hard when that stuffed cow stops that I about lawn darted over the dashboard a couple of times.

Buck riding his practice horse Tanqy, (Tanqueray Gin horse Paul). That black thing on his right arm is the remote.

phmdArA.jpg

Buck is recovering from major back surgery and still can't ride his good horse but does good on his practice horse. But even then, when you drop that left hand you'd better be pushing back hard with your right on that saddle horn, sit deep and get that far away look on your face cause Tanqy gets with it. Here Buck and Tanqy are helping us sort off some neighbor's strays at the ranch.

1NDGU38.jpg

Last edited:
34oy4nq.jpg

belt sucks but for some kind of work usable

Cool sheath , I remember when you posted up pics of that when it was made . Is that the original one or have you made version 2 ?
Love that braided wrist - bracelet thing :thumbup:

Ken

Dave , your belt is my all time favourite , I tried taking a few pics of it showing the whole belt , but none came out that nice .
The pic above was an accidental one that was taken by mistake , but like most accidents it turned out to be the best :)

Ken

Man, Dave that mechanical cow and the flag brings back fond memories. I logged many hours on a rig like that tuning up an Especial Mare (Ms Whiskey Especial) and a Doc Hickory Gelding (SR El Hickory Leo) as youngsters. They both went on to pay their feed bill and then some. My last Cahampionship buckle is dated 1993 so that let's you know why it's memories. All my photos of them are on 35MM film prints. Digital is wonderful!.

Paul

It's the weekend so I was carrying this

Held my own yesterday.
Stank like week old fish today.
:(

Ebbtide that case is amazing. When you posted it originally did I tell ya I've got a sheath that Nichole's grandfather sewed up with aluminum wire during WW2? He carried it shipboard and the old leather sheath was coming apart. Pretty clever deal. I'm no pool player but I can tell ya ranch roping is the same. One day ya can't miss the next day ya can't even find the ground. I really like the cue too. Cocobolo?

Macan I keep looking at that sheath and the flap cover. That is cool.

Paul I know. I went and looked at the buckles I got on a shelf. First was 87" last was 95 and a few in between. One says World on it. I was a penner though never a cutter. Horse died and I quit competeing. Just the occasional ranch roping these days.

No idea what the wood on the cue is.
I bought it back in the late 70's (nudge nudge wink wink)
Those hog rings on the cue case worked well.
I think I'd still be sewing by hand...
Thanx for the kind words.

Thank you guys. Thats the original sheat , which was posted earlier. I use that sheat for month now, and so far its OK. The flap is not rolled I beleive because its not longer than under part of sheat. Only mistake is a stud which is to small, so I have to make one with bigger head from brass.
I also braided bracelet which is also posted before and its calf leather I beleive. Its made of 8 strands and then doubled with pineapple knot at the end and five spanish ring knots
On the picture above the bracelet is about year and a half in use and this is when it was made
k4yrzb.jpg

30w31c7.jpg

Thank you guys. Thats the original sheat , which was posted earlier. I use that sheat for month now, and so far its OK. The flap is not rolled I beleive because its not longer than under part of sheat. Only mistake is a stud which is to small, so I have to make one with bigger head from brass.
I also braided bracelet which is also posted before and its calf leather I beleive. Its made of 8 strands and then doubled with pineapple knot at the end and five spanish ring knots
On the picture above the bracelet is about year and a half in use and this is when it was made
k4yrzb.jpg

30w31c7.jpg

Is there any chance of a work in progress or tutorial about how you make these braided items ?
I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would like to know more .

Ken

Back