1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What Leather are you Totin Today .

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by harronek, Aug 5, 2015.

1. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Rough out rules :thumbup:

Ken

2. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Decided to dust off this thing and give it a run today .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ken

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Nice Ken, that's a stack of leather right there! and love the burnishing of the edges, I remember you were checking on how Mike Tea did his amazing Sebbie sheaths, that's a real tribute to him I'd say!
    G2

4. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Thanks Gary ,
    I made this as an experiment more than a user sheath , I wanted to know if stitching that depth of leather was possible , and to try making a pouch type sheath without wet forming . I did wear it quite a bit in social settings , but never at work .
    After wearing this yesterday and today , I must say its not a work sheath , but it does attract a lot of attention from people .
    Yes , Mike Tea is still the master of the " burnish " in my eyes .
    The closest I ever got to being happy with a burnished edge was on a Leatherman sheath I made .
    You have just reminded me of that one , and I think I'll dig that one out and use it next week .
    I'm really enjoying revisiting my previous work and using them again . I didn't realise I have kept so many , most of my work I've given away .
    Most of the ones I'm showing were worn when they were new and the flavour of the month , but then they got put away when a new one came on the scene .

Ken

5. zack1421

zack1421

Dec 27, 2014
    A pretty nice jou fuu sheath for my fiddleback

[​IMG]

6. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    alright, here is my entry into the rough out challenge ;)
    rather satisfied with it, only issue is that the rivets aren't properly aligned... should have marked all of them out first instead of doing the pairs individually.
    the stitching was really timeconsuming, propably took me at least as long as every else combined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Brumby53

Brumby53

Jun 3, 2014
    @vilePossum; You have put some work into stitching that together - nice:thumbup:
    This is a - going to town - pocket carry set-up for the versatile Vic 'Cadet'
    [​IMG]

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Florian that was a lot of hand stitching. I think a guy could live with that slight amount of mis alingnment on the rivets. I do like the use of the roughout as a contrasting piece, very nice. Really like the use of the contrasting colored thread. What is it? A holster for your coffee cup?

Brumby that is a nice deal too. Really like the grain on that leather. Sets it off nice.

9. Terrorbl

Terrorbl

Dec 11, 2008
    vilePossum: I like it. I've wanted to do a bottle carrier for a while now but just haven't gotten around to it - and the layout keeps changing...

Terence

10. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Yes it is a bottle holder for hanging on the belt. Some archery guys like it. I mostly use a simple para cord loop.
    Actually between the post his morning and tonight I already sold this by chance.

11. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Good for you.

12. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Thats a really combo :thumbup:

Ken

13. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Wow , I take my hat off to you for that one .
    That definitely qualifies for the Rough Out challenge .
    Love it :thumbup:

Ken

14. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    That is a great picture on so many levels .
    Love the Sheath , love the flashlight , love the Anvil , love the knife .

Ken

15. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Here is what I'm totin today .

Gary you reminded me about Mike Tea's burnishing , which reminded me about my Leatherman Wave sheath .
    So I dug it out of the drawer as well as my William's hobble belt and I'm set to go .
    The integrated belt sheath is housing my Boker Urban Trapper .

[​IMG]

I even gave the worn edge a polish up just for the occasion , at the time when I made it I was trying to achieve a Mike Tea effect with color and burnish , but I didn't even come close .

[​IMG]

Ken

16. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Le Compact by Chambriard in a small sheath that fits just so;

[​IMG]

Juniper wood smell is great too ;)

G2

MTHall720 likes this.
  17. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Gotta love burnished stacks. I actually refinished this edge since this pic was taken, and it is smooooth now.

[​IMG]

18. Salolan

Salolan

Feb 27, 2013
    Was late on my promise of a rough out piece(had to finish the knife first!), but here you go Ken. Just finished this one this morning! Bonus* I used a piece of ironwood Dave sent me a couple months ago.
    [​IMG]

As punishment for getting this finished late I already have another rough out project in the works! ;)
    Chris

19. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    My first belt, and a pocket pouch for my opinel #8. This is the first of my work that im proud enough to share. Everyone here has been an inspiration :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Travis

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    MTHall720 likes this.
  20. Brumby53

Brumby53

Jun 3, 2014
    Hey!!! Good On Ya Travis... they are great first up efforts. Wear them with pride.... but ... and it's a big BUT be warned this leather work is very addictive.:)
    Thanks for sharing.

Derek