What Leatherman would you recommend?

I like the PST as it’s small and I carry it in my back pocket but I just ordered a Rebar as it has better cutter.

My favorite is the Fuse but they're discontinued.

The ST300 is great but it's a big beast of a tool, check it out but I hear a lot of people relegate them to their glove box because of the size and weight.
My dad carries and uses the ST300 I bought him every day, and he doesn't mind the weight.
A Buck 110, Victorinox Tinker, and an ST300 on his belt every day, I don't think he minds weight on his belt.
I know I don't as I carry a bunch of stuff at work.

I'd say start with the popular and affordable Wingman as a first Leatherman model if you're gonna buy a brand new one.

I buy a Rebar for each of my truck drivers to go along with a basic tool kit. Extremely handy and capable tool.

It's boring, but this is one of those questions where you need to know yourself and your needs.
When you do chores, what tools do you need the most? This is for tasks you can just finish up with little fuss, not stuff that takes a tool box.
Or, what are you preparing for?
Then pick the tool set that matches what you need.

I find a Skeletool does 80%+ of stuff I need. Pliers, screwdrivers, and blades covers a lot.

As previously said, depends what you use it for.
If I was getting my very first, maybe a skeletool. My first was a kick & I still like it covers the basics.

Wave+ is a best seller for a good reason, it doesn’t fit everyone’s needs, but enough people and scenarios that it does easily 80% of everything 80% good enough or better.

I'd start with that model and it's features and think about what you are likely to need to do, or want. Is outside opening blades, saw and file not important? Maybe a Rebar would be better.

I got my Rebar for $45 shipped brand new in the package from a seller on that big auction site. Half the price of a Wave. (I also have an OG wave and two new wave models!).

Do you need a bigger, more HD tool but the Wave tools are otherwise fine? Go to the Charge or Surge.

Not sure you can go wrong with any of the mid duty or higher tools, wave, rebar, super tool 300, surge, charge... With the bigger ones, they may be too large and heavy to carry other than in a sheath or pouch. That's going to be up to you.

Most elect to buy either the Wave Plus, or the heavier Surge. As others have stated it's what you do, the determines your daily lift, and EDC. I prefer the Wave Plus. I had a custom kydex sheath made for mine.

5AEMqDgh.jpg

i5eb8rWh.jpg

BqN9i5Eh.jpg

Hands down the wave for me. I've tried a few different brands and other leatherman models but the wave generally comes out on top for being portable and still having a lot of capabilities packed in. I haven't tried any of the newer models but a few of them look pretty promising.

I carry a Surge on my hip, with extra bits and a Juice electrical in my pocket, daily.
But, it depends on what you want to do.
The Wave is nice too.

Like others, you can’t go wrong with a surge. I carry a charge in my back everywhere, the surge stays in my truck. I can’t recommend the charge enough if you don’t need scissors.
I plan on getting the new free p4 for xmas, hopefully it’s as good as the surge and charge.

I like the Wave.
It is my favorite pliers based multi-tool.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Leatherman does not make anything close to the quality of the Victorinox multis. My favorite is the Spirit. It’s ugly, but exceptional.

Unfortunately Leatherman does not make anything close to the quality of the Victorinox multis. My favorite is the Spirit. It’s ugly, but exceptional.

I suppose this statement could be more wrong, but I don't see how. Vics are slick to hold, hard to handle, hard to open, have poorer quality implements-- especially drivers and openers, but they look good doing... something, I guess.

I suppose this statement could be more wrong, but I don't see how. Vics are slick to hold, hard to handle, hard to open, have poorer quality implements-- especially drivers and openers, but they look good doing... something, I guess.

I agree, and I'm not a sheath carry only fan, I like a pocket clip option.

Back