What locking mechanism of pocket knives is the best? Why?

For myself scale material plays a part. For instance I love a titanium frame lock done right. Where as a steel frame lock I feel indifferent to.

Variety is the spice of life! It's really just a matter of personal preference if the lock is well executed and it serves it's purpose.
No matter what type of lock it is, if it fails during use, it sucks.
Yeah, thats true!!

Axis Lock, Button Lock and Frame Lock.

Axis: Quick deployment and closure. Fidget factor and ambidextrous.

Button: Same as Axis. Although it depends on some knives. Some are sticky and requires break-in

Frame: Always been fan of CRK and Hinderer Frame lock. So, im biased.

Strongest would be Tri-Ad... Can't even disengage without using both hand... That's how strong it is.
;)Nice!

What is "best" is completely subjective when we discuss pocket knife locks. I think the question should be "What lock do you like best?"

It is hard for me to say what lock I like best. I like most of them quite well, so long as they are done correctly, accomplish the task (locking), and the knife they are attached to is befitting a quality lock up. Most of them have their plus and minuses to me. For example, I love the axis lock but the weak detent always worries me. Frame/liner locks are a bit awkward, force you to but a finger in the direct path of the blade and are the easiest to mess up in making, the compression lock can be pinchy, and the back lock can be stiff. Slip joints don't even lock at all!

I still own and love all those locks though. I guess it is more about the knife than the lock, another example, the collar lock on the opinel seems pointless to me. Might as well be a slip joint or a friction folder. I think I use the back lock the most, as I have a Pacific Salt on me most of the time. Well, unless you count the slip joint lock on a SAK. I use that a billion times a day.
;)Actually, this is a big topic, it could be what lock is the strongest or what lock is the most fun one, etc. We started this just wanna gather around you guys to discuss locks and have fun here~ BTW love your reply! so detailed!

I would refer to the locks we now know as "best" are simply the innovations that we also recognize as "modern."

Most of my folders are hitting 20 years old. Not one of them 'wiggle.' And I doubt they ever will.

If you fold my Cold Steel and look into the pivot, you'll find a notch that is 3/8s inch wide. Once the matching spine 'spring' drops into that notch it takes a strong thumb to fold the blade.
View attachment 1304569
Good one!

IMHO:

Best in terms of lock-strength? -> Lock-back; typically the blade snaps or breaks before the lock compromises. (e.g. delica, endura, police)

Best in terms of aesthetics/ergonomics? -> Ti-Framelock; most fun & best looking. (e.g. Sebenza, Reate, Todd Begg steelcraft)
Yeah! You got the idea of our 'Best' game play rules~ It's an open topic! Lock-Back and Ti-Framelock are great!

Axix lock for me. Second choice is the Opinel Virobloc. Liner locks and frame locks are about the cheesiest possible method. I find it difficult to justify a premium price on such a cheesy system, not only from a mechanical standpoint, but because your thumb is in the path of the closing blade.
Indeed, thats the bad part of liner and frame locks, thumb in the path of the closing blade.

Best in what way? There are few bad locking mechanisms and a few that are fun. I find most locks fairly ambidextrous but those that aren't are a problem for me ie Spyderco's Compression lock. These less ambidextrous locks can sometimes be remedied like the Smock when the button actuation is added it allows for more secure grip of the knife with either hand while operating the locking mechanism. I do enjoy a fun fidgety lock such as the Smock's button compression or a variant of the Axis lock they can often provide a fun fidget factor while also providing a reliable locking mechanism.
'best' is an open topic;)could be strongest, most fun, you love most, etc. Like you reply !

Tl;dr: Tri-Ad lock primarily because of the robustness and simplicity of design.

Where my “TRIAD LAWKSSSSS” squad at???

On a serious note though, I own knives with the following locks: liner lock, ball-bearing lock, back lock, compression lock, and the Tri-Ad lock. Can’t comment on Axis locks unfortunately as I have yet to purchase a Benchmade folder.

So far, never had a single problem with any of the above locks. I’m a little skeptical of the liner lock closing on my fingers, but that’s really borne of paranoia more than reason. I love my Spydercos and Cold Steels equally like a father loves all his children just the same.

That being said, nothing inspires confidence like a Tri-Ad lock. Third party testers uploading their tests on YouTube confirm the toughness of the knife, withstanding static loads and shock tests alike. You can still break the knife no doubt, but you’d really have to go out of your way to do that.

Of course, the Tri-Ad won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. The two main drawbacks I find are the heavy lock disengagement and the “guillotine snap” when closing the blade. If you can tame the beast though, the rewards are well worth it.

Best for what?

For strength it’s gonna be the triad lock no question.

Reliability in a dirty environment? A liner of frame lock might be better.

Ease of operation? Axis lock

A combination of all the above? Spydercos ball bearing lock might be the best.

The truth is, a folding knife is always a compromise. You have to look at how/where you use a knife and what kind of environment you will be using it in to decide what will work “best” for you. A fixed blade doesn’t compromise on anything accept ease of carry so I will always argue that a fixed blade is ultimately the “best”.
Lol, not only you said fixed blade is the 'best'. ;) This is an open topic tho, we didn't define it too clear is because we wanna discuss with you and have fun without limit of the topic! 'best' can be strongest, most fun, you like most, etc.

I'm happy with a well-executed liner lock. I prefer the feeling of unbroken scale. I also like having the same scale material on both sides. Some frame-locks, especially those that use a dissimilar scale material on the other side, look unfinished or like accidentally exposed machinery. I'd much rather have nice, ergonomically shaped scales made out of G10, micarta, or a nice natural wood.

People sometimes argue that other locks are stronger but honestly, how strong do we expect a lock to be? What are we doing with our folders that the strength difference really matters? We carry knives for different reasons and we use them for different things. Personally, if I expect to be doing anything rough enough to break or damage a lock, I'll just go with a fixed blade.
Good one!;)

Based upon what I own, I would have to say Axis Lock but, I have lately been reaching for a back lock knife. Simple and easy.

Back