What locking mechanism of pocket knives is the best? Why?

With "BEST" being as subjective as it is, I'll go with aesthetics!!!
To me, a linerlock fills this niche!!! There is just something about the look of a linerlock.
It looks finished, complete whereas a framelock looks half done when made with different materials!
You know, there.is just something eye catching about one of those custom Emerson's. Green canvas micarta scales and titanium bolsters!! Same with those custom Microtech socom bravos a few years back. I don't know! Maybe it's just me, but green canvas micarta scales with or without titanium bolsters just look nice!!!

Back-lock:
- very strong and reliable
- you do not have to explain how it Works (most non-knife people are familiar with it)
- easy to use even with gloves (this is where most other locking mechanisms fail)

I am old enough that I am now beginning to look at knife locks
with a concern about the loss of hand dexterity.

A member of my family has pretty much lost almost all hand motor skills. This could be me in less than ten years.

I am finding that a simple back lock is very easy to use. With or without gloves.

Because ive never had any issues out of a liner lock. Ive had several from a frame. Plus liner locks just feel more comfortable.
XD What kind of issues of frame lock did you have?

Seems like Kizer Cutlery Kizer Cutlery is here to promote framelocks!

Its hard to put locks in an order.

1. Ti-lock - for looks and cool factor. Locks up solid for its intended purpose and a well thought out knife. Great job CRK
2. Back/mid/tail locks - cause dang, they just work so so well. Looking at you Mr. Lake. :)
3. Button locks - when executed properly, very solid and fun! Way to go William Henry!
4. Framelocks - again, if well executed I have no issues, another home run by CRK.
5. Slipjoints - not a lock, but solid knives for folding knife intended use.

However, hands down best lock on the market...balisong handle lock. ;) Haha.

Just my opinions. :)

Seems like Kizer Cutlery Kizer Cutlery is here to promote framelocks!

Its hard to put locks in an order.

1. Ti-lock - for looks and cool factor. Locks up solid for its intended purpose and a well thought out knife. Great job CRK
2. Back/mid/tail locks - cause dang, they just work so so well. Looking at you Mr. Lake. :)
3. Button locks - when executed properly, very solid and fun! Way to go William Henry!
4. Framelocks - again, if well executed I have no issues, another home run by CRK.
5. Slipjoints - not a lock, but solid knives for folding knife intended use.

However, hands down best lock on the market...balisong handle lock. ;) Haha.

Just my opinions. :)
Nice! Thank you so much!;)

I've tried most folder locks...and the ones that I like best are:

Bali-song latch lock (the strongest folding knife lock in existence)
Lock-back
Axis Lock
Button Lock
Phantom Lock
Piston Lock

What I don't like about the liner lock, the frame lock, and the compression lock is that it can open in your pocket very easily.
The only thing keeping it closed is the ball detent...which is often kinda weak.

And strong!

I am not to worried about strength in a back lock knife.
By design, it is stronger than I will ever need. I don’t use a back lock knife as a pry bar.

What I am concerned about is proper design and ergonomics so that it will not disengage when I am wearing gloves. I have had that happen in the past.

Give me a well designed knife with great ergonomics and quality workmanship and I will not only purchase that brand again, I will recommend that brand to others.

I need a lock that is simple with least moving parts (liner lock), secure all the time (ti ad lock),funny,playfull,free drop (Axis lock) ,that leaves fingers away at open and closing,with no blade play.
Invent one!!!

A compression lock with tip down carry and a strong detent on a 3.75-4.25" would be perfect for me. I have been exercising a lot of willpower to not buy more knives, of which the Amalgam is among the most tempting for me. Just about any weak ball detent can be made stronger with a few minutes of work.

My Yojimbo 2 lock was fantastic, the best compression lock I'd ever experienced, but I gave it away to someone I love.

With some tweaking, the Triad is smooth, easy to open and close, drop shutty and super strong. I own a number of Cold Steels with it, but my lack of carrying them is generally because they look a little too weapony for my tastes in an actual frequent use EDC. But the Cold Steel Air Lite Drop point or tanto both look pretty good, if only they had blue G10.

I have never had a problem with a well constructed liner lock, such as that in my Tenaciouses or Resiliences.

Spyderco's back locks tend to want to open in certain grips by the lock bar being not only easy to depress with fleshy parts of the hand, but also having very little distance to travel before they disengage completely from the cutout in the tang.

So put me squarely in the Triad Lock camp for security, and then compression lock - when it is well executed like in the Yo 2. CBBL is up there too.

Last edited:
Look, to be fair, if you are using a knife to the point where it's closing on you, you're doing it wrong. In that respect, even a slipjoint is allright.

However, everyone can make a mistake, so a lock is a good thing. But seriously, did anyone ever had a lock fail on them? Even a flimsy linerlock should be sufficient if you're using the knife properly.

Instead, we should be lookign at other practical issues, like one-hand opening and closing, resilience to dirt, impact on ergonomics etc.

Although I like the way framelocks look, they do get in the way if you're left handed. They usually also impact the ergonomics.

I guess I have to go with axis-locks as my favourite, because they are ambidextrous and enable one-hand closing.

When it comes to two-hand closing, backlocks and mid-locks feel nice and sturdy.

What locking mechanism of pocket knives is the best?

Let me start off by saying I'm left handed. I won't use a knife that's a right hander. Forget about it. My main focus is on the ability to open and close the knife with one hand. I don't have time to fiddle around with a two-handed knife.

Since Kizer makes liner locks, let's talk about those and frame locks. I've had some very nice ones, but I think there are better options in the 21st century. If I had to make one argument against them, it's that I really like to keep my fingers out of the way of blade travel. I don't think I'll ever buy another liner lock knife.

So let's move on to what I DO like:

Benchmade's Axis lock. I think this is the greatest thing since the first knife to slice bread. Smooth. Easy to operate. Ambidextrous. Can be operated with a single finger or thumb.

Spyderco's Caged Ball Bearing Lock. To the user, it's sort of like the Axis lock. It's not as smooth and requires a thumb AND a finger to operate, which is why I put this under the Axis. It's stronger than an Axis, but frankly, I don't think I could ever break either. And it's ambidextrous.

Spyderco's Compression Lock. To the user, it's sort of like a liner lock where you don't have to put your fingers in the path of the blade travel. It's smooth, it's easy to operate. But only one model knife is made with a left handed compression lock. I'd a couple more compression lock knives if they were made LEFT HANDED in interesting models with interesting steel.

Let me start off by saying I'm left handed. I won't use a knife that's a right hander. Forget about it. My main focus is on the ability to open and close the knife with one hand. I don't have time to fiddle around with a two-handed knife.

Since Kizer makes liner locks, let's talk about those and frame locks. I've had some very nice ones, but I think there are better options in the 21st century. If I had to make one argument against them, it's that I really like to keep my fingers out of the way of blade travel. I don't think I'll ever buy another liner lock knife.

So let's move on to what I DO like:

Benchmade's Axis lock. I think this is the greatest thing since the first knife to slice bread. Smooth. Easy to operate. Ambidextrous. Can be operated with a single finger or thumb.

Spyderco's Caged Ball Bearing Lock. To the user, it's sort of like the Axis lock. It's not as smooth and requires a thumb AND a finger to operate, which is why I put this under the Axis. It's stronger than an Axis, but frankly, I don't think I could ever break either. And it's ambidextrous.

Spyderco's Compression Lock. To the user, it's sort of like a liner lock where you don't have to put your fingers in the path of the blade travel. It's smooth, it's easy to operate. But only one model knife is made with a left handed compression lock. I'd a couple more compression lock knives if they were made LEFT HANDED in interesting models with interesting steel.
WOW, thx for this detailed reply! We do have some left handed knives, but yeah, they are liner locks. We are trying more locks design so please keep on following us, we might make some knives you like soon.;)

... What I don't like about the liner lock, the frame lock, and the compression lock is that it can open in your pocket very easily... The only thing keeping it closed is the ball detent... which is often kinda weak.

That's really a detent issue. A good detent keeps the knife closed under normal carry conditions and lets you build up enough pressure to reliably snap it open. Decent detents aren't hard to find. Weak detents on otherwise good knives make me sad. Unfortunately, weak detents are more common than I'd like.

Luckily, at least one manufacturer is here taking notes. :)

Back