What makes a Good Auto Knife?

J Hubbard

Which of these parameters are most important to you when evaluating an Auto?
Visual Blade Speed?
Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open?
Sound of the blade locking in place?

Thank you,

Jeff

For me the speed and kick are dependent on each other. If the blade is slow, the kick is going to be less. I do like the sound of the blade locking in place, a healthy sound to be sure. My 898 auto is different than my 110 auto. I think the speed is about the same, but because the 110 is heavier the feel of the opening and locking in place is not felt as much as in the 898. I like them both, but the 898 is easier to carry and deploy so it gets much, much more pocket time.

Convenience. How easy is it to deploy

Lockup. How solid does it feel in hand when locked open

Firing speed- how quickly does the blade deploy i.e. how strong are the springs/action

Sound. Does it lock open and “pop” sound like solid steel on steel, or does it flick open and “click” like a typical folding knife

Firing mechanism. What’s the point of an automatic if I have to fish around on the other end of the scales to unlock the safety switch

Not in order, but if/when shopping for an automatic these are the things I naturally look for :thumbsup:

being an auto collector of many brands as well as reading what people seem to like in the auto forums.....faster opening is never frowned on. good solid lockup and no bounce back like the kershaw launch series suffered from for a long time. so reliability is huge in autos and needed.

new model ideas or converting existing models into autos? if we're talking Buck collectors and owners, theyre gonna like what they already like in model types and such. if we are talking auto collectors and users that arent currently really Buck customers then different parameters are gonna apply.

you didnt ask but im gonna say it anyways. a safety on a pocket carried plunge lock auto is crucial to safe carry and use. recessed buttons do not work. George Schrade figured this out over 100 years ago and started putting safeties on autos. this topics been covered to death though.

also not asked but I'm gonna say it..... blade length is a big deal. sure legal restrictions and all but the larger sizes seem to sell out faster. 3.25" to 4" range. calis got their little ridiculous under 2" blade rule and these I guess sell well in cali, but seem to stay in stock at the auto dealers sites far far longer than the normal size blades. depends on what market and groups youre chasing I guess.

Glad to see this question come right from Buck. None of those points Jeff made play any bearing on what I look for in an auto. At least not in as simple a form.

How quickly it deploys, the sound, or recoil matters not to me...

I would buy it to use it, not play with so what's important to me is:
1) Serviceability - can I thoroughly clean it myself with absolute certainty?
2) Lock-up - does the blade lock open with enough rigidity to give me confidence in using it for the task at hand?
3) Blade cross section - With a single cutting edge, is the thickest part of the blade nearer the center, or the spine?

Perfect auto for me would
1) have one side scale removable to ensure dust, lint, sinew, etc... could be thoroughly cleaned.
2) have a 1 to 1.25" blade height with the thickest point being the spine.
3) lock up tight, with absolute confidence. Minute side to side blade movement i can handle so long as the blade stays open until I'm done with it.

So... My idea of a winner? Make a 110 with an aluminum or Ti frame with the mechanics fixed to one frame half so I can remove the other for maintenance. Has to be a little lighter for me to pack it every day.
Better yet, make it with a 112 or 500 and I'll but 2. An auto is intimidating to the sheep, no sense in making it with a blade longer than 2.75 or 3"

My $0.02, don't spend it all in one place...

I like the action on my 112's over my 110's.
They just seem quicker and lock with a little more authority than the bigger 110. Maybe it's the blade size, or just my knives.

I agree with durability being a concern. I want a solid lockup with no worries.
Cleaning them is a good point. Having to clean a gummed up 110 took some effort.

I know two different people that were cut carrying another brand auto in their pocket. Both got cut pretty badly. My auto always goes in a sheath, but safety is a concern. If I feel it's not safe, I want nothing to do with it.

An aluminum framed 112 or 110 auto would be interesting if possible.

Thanks for asking! I appreciate your companies commitment to it's customers.

I agree with JB that a safety is essential. I prefer a safety like on the 898 that is near enough to the button that I can disengage the safety and open the knife without a bunch of thumb gymnastics.

being an auto collector of many brands as well as reading what people seem to like in the auto forums.....faster opening is never frowned on. good solid lockup and no bounce back like the kershaw launch series suffered from for a long time. so reliability is huge in autos and needed.

new model ideas or converting existing models into autos? if we're talking Buck collectors and owners, theyre gonna like what they already like in model types and such. if we are talking auto collectors and users that arent currently really Buck customers then different parameters are gonna apply.

you didnt ask but im gonna say it anyways. a safety on a pocket carried plunge lock auto is crucial to safe carry and use. recessed buttons do not work. George Schrade figured this out over 100 years ago and started putting safeties on autos. this topics been covered to death though.

also not asked but I'm gonna say it..... blade length is a big deal. sure legal restrictions and all but the larger sizes seem to sell out faster. 3.25" to 4" range. calis got their little ridiculous under 2" blade rule and these I guess sell well in cali, but seem to stay in stock at the auto dealers sites far far longer than the normal size blades. depends on what market and groups youre chasing I guess.

This, pretty much 100%. I like autos with a good kick, strong click, positive lockup, and some type of safety. Also agreed - no use messing with 2” or less blade length.

As long as they are dependable , lockup securely and don’t accidentally open unexpectedly that’s mostly my concerns. I think a safety should be easily accessible with one hand and find it in the dark. The speed, sound , feel and visual effects during firing is kool but have little to do with the actual function and performance. I mostly just want it to readily cut stuff when needed and function without complexity in an emergency situation. I also like a 3 - 4 inch blade and a good handle grip in all weather and environment.

I prefer the speed of my 112 elite over my 110 elite. It’s faster and the lockup sounds more solid when it engages. The most important sound to me on an auto is the release catch “click”. The 112 and 110 have a very solid click when you close the knife. I personally hate safety switches on autos, so that closing click is very important to me. My opinion on the 112 auto elite, leave the firing mechanism alone, don’t add a safety button but do offer it in an aluminum frame with tip up pocket clip and wood instead of G10.

Which of these parameters are most important to you when evaluating an Auto?
Visual Blade Speed?
Feel of the kick in your hand when it locks open?
Sound of the blade locking in place?

Thank you,

Jeff

None of the above are "most important". I like an auto that locks closed so I can put it in my pocket and be safe. That's why I'll never buy a 110/112 auto.

I've seen autos dropped because they opened too hard. Already mentioned are autos that open so hard they bounce and don't lock.

Last edited:
I like double action automatics.

I would like to see a double action Buck 110 auto :):thumbsup:

I think you guys mean Dual Action, meaning manual or auto side opener...Double Action typically is referring to OTF autos. That being said I'd love a Buck in either flavor, but if we're talking side openers it needs to be hidden release of some sort...D/As with obvious buttons are a dealbreaker in my book.

I like reliability the most in an automatic ,speed second,but it won't matterhow fast it deploys if it fails prematurely,so it needs to be super reliable first .

Interesting that the OP's question asks only about aesthetics. All the B-movie things are fun if you're just sitting in your chair flicking it. If I'm using a switchblade then reliable opening and good lockup get my vote.

consistent opening, no bounce back are givens and not in question for the question i posed. Design aesthetics (safety placement, materials) also are not in question for this discussion.

Let me re-phrase:
If you pick up 2 autos how do you decide which one you like based on the 3 items I listed in the OP?

thank you

Back