What makes a good SERE knife?

Hi all,

Well that Maynard SERE knife got to my place. I took a couple of pics.

A in hand shot.
IMG_0846-1.jpg

In the sheath.

IMG_0845-1.jpg

It is a pretty cool knife.

Bryan

IThanks, Jon,
I will be posting a video in a while and tell and show my thoughts. I am heading to the shop now.

Bryan,

Sorry for the delay-

I am glad that the Maynard made it to you. It’s a cool knife for sure. The only thing I would change to make the knife fit my needs a little better would be to omit the serrations. Like you and Pit Dog I find no use for them on a bush knife, at least on the main cutting edge. I could see the usefulness in a SERE type situation.

I really look forward to seeing what you come up with. It's going to be good.

Please feel free to take it out and use it. Get a feel for what it is.

I have told you this already, but to all here; the Potbelly is an amazing blade and a real pleasure to use. I won’t divert this particular thread with a review on the “Breeden Potbelly” (BPB) as it deserves a detailed thread of it’s own. Pics will be included, of course.

Bryan,

Sorry for the delay-

I am glad that the Maynard made it to you. It’s a cool knife for sure. The only thing I would change to make the knife fit my needs a little better would be to omit the serrations. Like you and Pit Dog I find no use for them on a bush knife, at least on the main cutting edge. I could see the usefulness in a SERE type situation.

I really look forward to seeing what you come up with. It's going to be good.

Please feel free to take it out and use it. Get a feel for what it is.

I have told you this already, but to all here; the Potbelly is an amazing blade and a real pleasure to use. I won’t divert this particular thread with a review on the “Breeden Potbelly” (BPB) as it deserves a detailed thread of it’s own. Pics will be included, of course.

I'd love to see a review of the Potbelly, get on it !:thumbup:

Hi all,

Well I did not get a video done.
Here is what I think. I used the Maynard SERE knife today while out on a hike/walk with kelly girl this morning.
The knife has about 6" long blade the blade shape is ok. For me to really like that blade shape I would put more belly on it near the tip.

Serrations I would not have them on a knife. I have a leatherman wave and one blade has it on there but if I could I would just rather have 2 plain edge blades. I have never been in a situation as of yet where I said I need to have serrations on my knife.

The handle is ok too. I have come to like a style of handle that just suite me better than one like the Maynard has.
I also like a more rounded handle the sides of the Maynard are flat.
I also would not put more than 3 or 4 pins to hold the handle on.

The knife has more riccoso than I like and I feel that is a waste of steel. I like the handle to go right up next to the plunge line. The first 2" or so is the part of a knife I use for cutting and carving stuff like that.

The blood groves on both sides of the blade are of little use to me. Others my like them though.

Anyways It was great to see this knife in person and I really want to think JollyRogers3 for sending it to me to see.

I do not want to sound like I am beating up on the Maynard SERE knife. It is just not my cup of tea so to speak. Would it work for SERE situation? I am sure it would are there better designs I think so. Again this is just my thoughts. Like I said it was neat to see this knife in person.

Chat with you all later,

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for you no BS assessment. I am glad you used it and I appreciate your comments.

Pitdog, I have been very busy. Will be heading out this weekend to give BPB some use. I look forward to using it more and writing things up. So far for what little I have used it, it's been a blast. I really like it so far.

JollyRoger3, Well like I said I did not want it to sound like I was beating up the knife even though it sounds like it. Dan Pitzer had some ideas that he must have liked and thought would be the best from what he thought and knew.
If I was to make any changes. This is what I would do. What do you think?
IMG_0849-1.jpg

By the way I look forward to hearing how the Potbelly works out for ya too.

Bryan

Bryan,

No worries, friend. I appreciate the straight shooting.

As far as your take on the SERE, I believe you would be hitting yet another home run. Very clean and not a single area of unusable blade. This is going to be a awesome project.

Matthew, Thanks. I am not sure if this is a project or not lol. But I do like the looks of the drawing too lol.

I do not think I would feel under knifed with that at my side and doing what a fellow would to survive.

Anyways chat with you later,

Bryan

JollyRoger3, Well like I said I did not want it to sound like I was beating up the knife even though it sounds like it. Dan Pitzer had some ideas that he must have liked and thought would be the best from what he thought and knew.
IMG_0849-1.jpg

Bryan

What do I think? Not sure why don't you whip one up this weekend and send it to me so I can give you my opinion.:) I am not sure I agree with the thought of a dedicated SEAR knife. If used right I would hope most knives I would carry in any situation where I might need a SEAR knife would do the job. Then again I guess pilots might not need a knife for much else And it is a lot of fun to think about what we would want in a knife.

IMG_0849-1.jpg

Bryan

Call it what you will, I like your design and I agree with LG, whip up a couple this weekend and we'll test them for you free. Seriously I like the looks of that one. But then, I like almost all your designs. I also like Primitive Man's description of what should be included with a SERE knife. 3/16" spine right?

Tony

Last edited:
Chris and Tony, Thanks and I am glad you like the design. I can tell you lol making up a couple is not going to happen this weekend.
But the more I look that design and think about it I think I going to add more belly towards the tip.

As to the thickness I am thinking 5/32" and yea I think primitive man really made some good points.

Anyways if I get one made up I will let you both know about testing it out.

Bryan

Last edited:
Hi all,

I decided to do a more drawing and use the shape of the Maynard blade and then put on a handle style that I really like and so this is what it looks like.
IMG_0850_zpse5c81b37.jpg

What do you guys think?

Bryan

Hi all,

I decided to do a more drawing and use the shape of the Maynard blade and then put on a handle style that I really like and so this is what it looks like.
IMG_0850_zpse5c81b37.jpg

What do you guys think?

Bryan

Really like the look of that one !

Well thanks guys. I did get started on it today and well the pics shows what I got done lol.

The blank I did today is just a little wider blade wise.

IMG_0852_zps13e45d16.jpg

Friday, I am going to get a blank started on the other drawing that I did. Unless I get back to the shop tonight
after supper, Then I will post a pic of all 3 tonight yet.

anyways chat with you later,

Bryan

Very nice. What're you shooting for balance wise with it? With all the holes drilled out of the handle I'm guessing a little more blade heavy?

Back