What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

JVb9glt.jpg

Found this Remington daddy barlow with box and papers today.
YUcZwl5.jpg

Another daddy barlow to add to my quaint little collection of them:):thumbsup:

You made this dream comes true .
One day I've heard a great french actor , Alain Delon, now an old man looking back his fantastic life and saying: " All his life a man remains the little children he has been ".
For me your Old Barlows are the symbol of this permanence
chinois.gif

Thank you for this (and for the rest ) :)
Â
A 16th century French man said it even better! “ Man is born from a women’s womb, then spends the rest of his life trying to get back in!”:D

Utica made good traditional Barlows! They made them for Schrade Cut Co at one time, for their own brand Kutmaster, and for Case!!;)
View attachment 1388306

Good looking Barlows, Charlie! :thumbsup: What’s the closed length on them? Those look a little “thicker” (if that’s the right word) than, say, GEC’s #15 pattern. Maybe not quite as stumpy as the #25 Barlow, but somewhere between maybe?

MdH3qbD.jpg

kR9WcBk.jpg

Nt2Jlq0.jpg

Good looking Barlows, Charlie! :thumbsup: What’s the closed length on them? Those look a little “thicker” (if that’s the right word) than, say, GEC’s #15 pattern. Maybe not quite as stumpy as the #25 Barlow, but somewhere between maybe?

MdH3qbD.jpg

kR9WcBk.jpg

Nt2Jlq0.jpg
Hey Barrett! The Utica Kutmasters are barely 1/8" shorter than the #15 pattern that Bill made for me! But as you might see here, the Bolsters are beefier than Bill's and the blades are also wider. Bill fully blades his knives - nice and long, one of the many things I appreciate!
The TC has a nice taper, more graceful than the Uticas.
I wanted proportions closer to old NYK Barlows, and that's
what I (we!:D) got!!;)
The Uticas are great in their own right, a more "rough and tumble" pattern if you will. They are thicker also!:rolleyes:
Gosh, I love Barlows!!:cool:Utica Boiley Comp 1.jpg Utica Boiley Comp 2.jpg NYKbarlowMike.jpg NYKBarlows1.jpg NYKBarlows1Tangs.jpg

Hey Barrett! The Utica Kutmasters are barely 1/8" shorter than the #15 pattern that Bill made for me! But as you might see here, the Bolsters are beefier than Bill's and the blades are also wider. Bill fully blades his knives - nice and long, one of the many things I appreciate!
The TC has a nice taper, more graceful than the Uticas.
I wanted proportions closer to old NYK Barlows, and that's
what I (we!:D) got!!;)
The Uticas are great in their own right, a more "rough and tumble" pattern if you will. They are thicker also!:rolleyes:
Gosh, I love Barlows!!:cool:View attachment 1391882 View attachment 1391883 View attachment 1391885 View attachment 1391886 View attachment 1391887

Thanks for the info, Charlie! I realized, after asking my question, that the closed length was really irrelevant. The #14 and #25 are the same length and are very different knives. I like the more svelte #15’s, #14’s and NYK Barlows. I also like the beefier Uticas and #25’s (one of my favorite GEC patterns, especially with that fat spearpoint). I’m easy to please. :D

Back