What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Camillus #10

1MNuOpC.jpg

I really like that one Charlie, looks like real nice work and the scrimshaw is very well done, a great unique Barlow.

Thanks, John!!:)

Hello Charlie,
The knife is very nice. I've already seen this name .
http://www.rhidianknives.com/folders/
I don't know if it's paradise or hell to live so close to such a good knife maker o_O
Â

His knives are great!! He has a creative approach!! I got to CF and CE a handful of them!! ;) My wallet is hiding in the corner, J-M!!:eek:

Darn...Charlie- thats quite a piece of Work!
Talented Young Man for sure!!, I love the original Font of the era used on the Scrimshaw- and the Sperm Whale and Squid are awesome!
I really like that Knife as the others do! I like the way he has rounded off the end of the Swage work too on the Spine- not just abruptly and Sharp - but with a tidy wee curve. What's the walk and talk like on this one Charlie?

Walk and talk are perfect, Duncan!!:thumbsup: Lean toward firm and loud, the way I like them!!:cool::D

Great knife and scrimshaw! :thumbsup:

Thanks, JP!!;)

What a gorgeous Barlow Charlie!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more, Bill!!:D

Thanks, mate. I’ve been going through a rough patch but feeling somewhat better. New chemo drug. I still have a few months left and plan to celebrate my 78th soon. Been enjoying the porch talk and trying to curb my knife buying. Ha! Talk with Bloke ( Spyderco forum) pretty regularly. Glad you all are coming into spring.
Hope your new chemo works out for you, Tis' nigh on impossible to curb the urge to purchase, and i'm only into traditionals, you've got both addictions. We had our coldest September day for 18 years on Friday, and next Friday they are forecasting 80deg's. But our Spring's can be very volatile with weather patterns. Take care, and see you around on the Porch.;):thumbsup:

Well, I was introduced to a new Knifemaker!! He's Younger than my two older kids, but he went to the same school that they did!!:eek: His parents still live 5 blocks from me, but I have never met them!!:rolleyes:
He's good at knifemaking:cool:!! Look at this!!;)View attachment 1426604 View attachment 1426605 View attachment 1426606 View attachment 1426609
The handles are legally harvested Sperm Whale Tooth!!
The walk and talk are crisp and smooth! I love this knife!!:)

Beautiful Barlow Charlie. As you know I live up here in the Big White North myself and I definitely want to buy a Rhidian Slipjoint at some point. I love the model he does based on a popular French Knife. Here's a quick pick of it.

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I was introduced to a new Knifemaker!! He's Younger than my two older kids, but he went to the same school that they did!!:eek: His parents still live 5 blocks from me, but I have never met them!!:rolleyes:
He's good at knifemaking:cool:!! Look at this!!;)View attachment 1426604 View attachment 1426605 View attachment 1426606 View attachment 1426609
The handles are legally harvested Sperm Whale Tooth!!
The walk and talk are crisp and smooth! I love this knife!!:)
That’s a beauty Charlie! :cool: He has a great future ahead! :thumbsup: :D

Well when it came right down to it, I just couldn’t do it. As much as I want to get a good Barlow at some point, and I know if I’m patient I’ll be able to do that but I’ve never been widely known for my patience.

Anyway, I was really about to go on full cock and pull the trigger on a Collector Knives Dom. I love the sheep’s foot blade shape on that knife and if you stand back aways it almost looks like a Barlow. And, I suppose for many people it is. but to be those so-called bolsters are basically cosmetic. Non-functional.

The fundamental problem I have with that knife, even though from all reports it is an excellent knife, is that it is not a traditional Barlow. I know this doesn’t make a difference to many people but it does to me. I am just hung up on traditional knives made in traditional ways with traditional materials, and yes Virginia, I do mean 1095 steel. I figure a guy should know his limitations, and those happen to be mine.

Anyway, being on the hunt is part of the fun and I have learned a great deal about Barlows from this thread and I hope it continues for a long while.

I've been drooling over the Barlows in this thread since I first skimmed through it about a week ago. Up till now my only Barlow was an Imperial R.I. with shell handles and very worn blades (supposedly belonged to my great grandfather who was a sheriff in Oklahoma; at least it was in a box with other knives and mementos of his). But now I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a Case Barlow, #61009 (smooth antique bone and single spear blade) and a Rough Rider Barlow with jigged bone handles. I'm kicking myself for missing out on the majority of Case's limited Barlow run last year.

I've been drooling over the Barlows in this thread since I first skimmed through it about a week ago. Up till now my only Barlow was an Imperial R.I. with shell handles and very worn blades (supposedly belonged to my great grandfather who was a sheriff in Oklahoma; at least it was in a box with other knives and mementos of his). But now I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a Case Barlow, #61009 (smooth antique bone and single spear blade) and a Rough Rider Barlow with jigged bone handles. I'm kicking myself for missing out on the majority of Case's limited Barlow run last year.
Although it is getting hard for find those Case barlows from last year online, they can still be found at the brick and mortar dealers. I picked up the two blade sawcut bone model at my local dealer this past weekend.

Although it is getting hard for find those Case barlows from last year online, they can still be found at the brick and mortar dealers. I picked up the two blade sawcut bone model at my local dealer this past weekend.
That's the one that I want. I'll have to go visit my local Case dealers.

Nice Schrades, Paul T!! TheChunk91 TheChunk91

Here's one from a previous generation!!;)
No matter what I do with the blade stamp, I can't read it!:rolleyes:
Any help would be appreciated!! Amazingly, this knife has great walk and talk, and takes a good edge!! Note the "integral bolsters" from well over a century ago!!:eek::DBear w Old Sheffield 1.jpg Bear w Old Sheffield 2.jpg Bear w Old Sheffield 3.jpg Bear w Old Sheffield 4.jpg Bear w Old Sheffield 5.jpg

Can't really tell the blade stamp too well by the pictures, but I've seen ones similar from around the 1800's that the blade stamps say Enos Furness and below it either Sheffield or just England. But many times the bolsters are stamped as well, but I've seen one's with no stamp. It's a beauty.

Back