What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

That old sawcut, first I noticed the bolsters, are they steel or iron I wonder? Then I fixated on the wonderful nail nick, just a sliver of a waning moon came to mind...And that custom! Wow!
The old Barlow has steel, integral bolsters!
Steel or Iron - good question - I suspect low-carbon steel . . . . . .
Wonder how to tell???o_O:rolleyes:

The old Barlow has steel, integral bolsters!
Steel or Iron - good question - I suspect low-carbon steel . . . . . .
Wonder how to tell???o_O:rolleyes:
I have no idea, but the color of the patina ir really cool, maybe you are right, low carbon steel probably. It's a Gem Charlie.

I agree with you about that barlow Greg . They are well made and yours also looks very nice .

Harry
Yep they are nice, Harry. I'm betting you're pleased with your Russell Barlow too.:thumbsup:
btw: I tried to reach you via PM and your in box is full, I made a little something I'd like to send to you. Shoot me a message if ya don't mind.

I agree with you both about those Russell repops!!:thumbsup:
Who made them? I have forgotten!:rolleyes:

I have no idea, Charlie but seem to recall hearing they were German made. Boker? To be honest my knife knowledge is very limited, I got into the game late in life having only been gathering a collection starting about 4 years ago. I've been learning a lot here from you and others and I love viewing pics and absorbing info, great place to learn.:)

Yep they are nice, Harry. I'm betting you're pleased with your Russell Barlow too.:thumbsup:
btw: I tried to reach you via PM and your in box is full, I made a little something I'd like to send to you. Shoot me a message if ya don't mind.
I am very pleased with my Russell Barlows . From the first one to the last one . I will try to post them in Chronological Order later my friend . Just sent you a Post .

Harry

Unable to get some photos taken today but will use these .
There are 5 Russells in this photo numbered 1 thru 5 .
My First one was # 1 by RUSSELL
My Second was # 3 by Schrade in 1975
My Third & Fourth are #4 and # 5 by Colonial in 1998
My Fifth was # 2 by Russell . Watched this one for 2 years until we agreed on a price

My Sixth was this one by Boker

My Seventh and last one is this one by Russell

This is a picture of the First and Seventh or last showing why I needed another Old Original . In 2014 I had never heard of Russells . They wanted $9 for the one with a broken blade . I went home and studied up and drove back 67 miles to buy it and paid $ 5 for it .

And there are still a few that I need to get .
Harry

zzM2XDG.jpg

Ok, here's a question from a relatively new Barlow owner. How are the bolsters held in place on Barlow knives that don't have visible pivot pins? I just finished grinding the logo off of a Rough Rider (because I wanted plain bolsters), and there's no sign of the pivot pin. The bolsters aren't held on by bent tabs like on the cheap Imperials, either. And there's no sign of pins on the liners. So what options are left? Are the bolsters just glued on? Swinden key construction?
Barlow2.jpg
By the way, this started out as white/natural bone.

Last edited:
Back