What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Great knives, I've got one in the green bone with the old S&D stamp.

tt1QLpz.jpg

waynorth waynorth I see another dealer has posted pics of the new Barlow and calling the covers Sepia. They look fantastic, and I was wondering if that’s what we can expect from the rest of this run? I kind of hope so :D

waynorth waynorth I see another dealer has posted pics of the new Barlow and calling the covers Sepia. They look fantastic, and I was wondering if that’s what we can expect from the rest of this run? I kind of hope so :D
That's right, solphilos solphilos !!
I asked for a warm brown that recalled old photographs, and we called it "Sepia"! And there is only one color, one knife, to reach as many of you as we could! I am limited in the number GEC will produce, so one model reaches the farthest!!;)

P.S. I have yet to hold one in my hand!!:( Now that they are out there, I will post the back label!:cool:View attachment 1489977 View attachment 1489979
Love the label, after this and the pics I’m even more excited to finally be able to own one of these. One of my favorite things about using traditional pocket knives is the feeling of having a bit of history in my pocket, and you and GEC have really captured that in these Barlows. Can’t wait to put mine to use! :D

I purchased a Schrade barlow as a kid and lost it. So 6 or 7 years ago, I got it into my head to replace it for nostalgia's sake. But I was disappointed in the quality of knives I found, so I started searching for a higher quality barlow which caused me to stumble upon GEC. I remember emailing this guy, Charlie Campagna, who I read was the TC Barlow guy, even though they were made by GEC. I was pretty confused, but that was my first plunge into the world of Great Eastern Cutlery. After getting a couple of #15 barlows, I decided I would try to get one of each blade configuration. After several years of hunting, I thought I had succeeded. But then, I attended the 2019 Oregon Knife Show and realized I was missing one!! They made two variations of the spear + coping! So my collection is still incomplete. But it's kind of nice knowing there's still something out there to excite me (it's the same reason I've intentionally never watched seasons 7 or 8 of Magnum PI :D).

Here's a couple Day's Work Barlows from my modest collection (most of which are users). I'm hoping to add a 2021 TC To the collection!

GcLmBP9.jpg

Last edited:
Back