What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I saw this today on the auction site. Kind of interesting they chose to do only 16 like this.
barlow by jacob dudley, on Flickr
GEC started assembly with the hammered pins I like, but it wasn't working out!! So they switched to spun pins after losing some time and materials! They only finished about 16 knives before they switched!
I asked them to put a red H on the tube top label of the 16!!
Another upside-down airplane!!:D

Charlie, did Schrade/Ulster use different Saw Cut Delrins over the decades?
View attachment 1492145

My Number 10 Ulster dates from 1958/1959 to 1969, according to the tang stamp. It isn't an "Ulster Old Timer", so it's not/can't be part of the 1965 to 1971(?) ... 1972(?) Prince Albert tobacco promotion.
I think my Number 10 pre-dates that promotion, or could it be concurrent with?

Anyway, your Ulster Number 10 (second down, left hand column in your scan) definitely is either a bunch less carried/pocket worn, or the colors used were way different.
I'm not an expert on the synthetics used, but I bet you can find several slight variations on those old knives!!

That looks great Paul !!!! Just paid for mine !! This will be the very first 15 TC , other than the Blade Forums knife , that I will get as first owner . Is this only the Second 4 Pin 15 TC ???
Harry
Harry, thank you. I'm not certain if it is the second four pin or not but believe it is. The Ancient 2.0 and this one are the only four pins that I know of just off hando_O:)

Harry, thank you. I'm not certain if it is the second four pin or not but believe it is. The Ancient 2.0 and this one are the only four pins that I know of just off hando_O:)

was trying to dig up ole @knowtracks 's post with all the barlows to see. I had asked Randy Bell from GEC what the significance was between the number of pins. Turns out it was something mildly mundane regarding ease of scale attachment during assembly. The dies used ended up dictating the placements. I suppose then there have been dies with three pins, dies with four pins at equal points and dies with four pins off center. All of which we have seen in the barlow's and 15s

Here you go John, couple of four pins:thumbsup:
EJpy5f.jpg

6UU5XI.jpg

Back