What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Thanks, I mentioned that earlier as well Jack, wondering why they didn't darken the "TC"? and what is it, an ink/dye?

I noticed that on mine, too (it came in the other day but I haven’t gotten around to taking a picture yet). I do prefer the contrast of the “filled in” TC. Might be time to get the Sharpie out! ;) (Ok, I know that sounds like a joke, but I did it with the shield on my Nifebrite #15 “Scout” and it actually worked really well! The sharpie wiped right off the flat surface of the shield, but stayed dark down in the letters, and it looks a lot better.)

I noticed that on mine, too (it came in the other day but I haven’t gotten around to taking a picture yet). I do prefer the contrast of the “filled in” TC. Might be time to get the Sharpie out! ;) (Ok, I know that sounds like a joke, but I did it with the shield on my Nifebrite #15 “Scout” and it actually worked really well! The sharpie wiped right off the flat surface of the shield, but stayed dark down in the letters, and it looks a lot better.)
MUCH better dark. :thumbsup:

One could probably carefully apply some enchant or bluing to the logo to darken it some. I like it the way it is but will likely try this as I can’t leave well enough alone :rolleyes:
I’ve never done it on a knife, but on other stamped metal things, I’ve actually used my kids’ oil pastels (kind of like a fancy crayon) to rub into the stamp to add contrast and it works pretty well.

When you have enjoyed a fair quantity and quality of life, and you gather enough scars from tripping over life's pitfalls, you win the privilege of, at least pretending, to be a philosopher.
And you try, if you still have some spirit, to ruminate on the things that make life just a little better for you and your tribe.
I am honored to know a guy who lives and breathes pocketknives, and likes to discuss them with me when he has time. He's not yet at full rumination, like my own self!!:rolleyes: But he has a few moments now and then!
Anyway, having been an avid collector of Barlows, and being still a gung-ho appreciator of same, I undertook to discuss with my friend the subtle things that attract people to the humble Barlow knife, and that keep me going back again and again to delight in them.
There is the simplicity, the sturdy presence, and often the simple but proud insignia on the bolster. I told him it was about time someone made the closest thing to a traditional Barlow that could be achieved in today's world, and he agreed this would be a worthy achievement.
Since we live 3000 miles away, I sent him a roll of old Barlows, as an aid to discussion, including some of the ones pictured here:
Bolsters2.jpg

Bolsters4.jpg

I think the oldest and youngest Barlows I own are in this third scan. One of these could be 130 years old!!
Bolsters6.jpg

The knives in this picture are from a parallel universe, where people write upside down! I don't know how they got here.
Bolsters8.jpg

Bolsters9.jpg

If you are an old hand at antique knives, don't say anything yet. I'm sure a lot of the newer members will enjoy figuring out the identities of the more ambiguous markings.

Enough for one post, I will tell you more about our discussions shortly.
Respectfully submitted, waynorth.
Going way back to the start, but can you please tell me the manufacturer of the barlow in the first pic - bottom right corner with “N” & arrow. Thank you Sir.

Tim, that is a New York Knife Co. Barlow, which was the greatest influence on the TC back in 2012. The TC's pattern and form is a near replica!!

I always thought the TC was like an original Remington but looking at the blade profiles the NYK seems to be a little longer and not as wide like the one on the TC. I hope to find a spear NYK someday to add to the pile.

IMG_0226.jpeg

With the arrival of today's mail I have joined a very privileged group of people who own a T/C....... I've always been attracted to the simple elegance of this knife..... No big garish appendages or razzle dazzle..... Just a beautiful design that is built by the finest traditional cutlers in the world.... I feel honored to own one......

Thank you Charlie and Bill for making this 2021 run..... I hope there are more in the future so others can enjoy this piece of traditional knife history....

And for my Buffalo Buddy Charlie; "Go Bills".. We might see someone in the stands waving a Waynorth Cutlery banner!!20210119_133432.jpg

Back