What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Looks like @rcs86 beat me to it in the Let's talk GEC! thread, but I owe you guys and Charlie a photo! Here's my current thoughts towards the GEC secondary market and safe queens.

A nice, organic Honeycrisp (only the best for a Waynorth!) from the UPick down the road from me. :D

h57kP9e.jpg

Also... This bad mamba jamba came in the other day. :D

IcEXYyx.jpg

H21ZjxG.jpg

5HO2uVK.jpg

Last edited:
Received this guy yesterday. Other than a little discoloration on the cover it is perfect! It will be getting the "apple treatment" later this morning as it's first call to action. Flippers be damned it's too nice to not carry!
VjLVyqg.jpg

Smooth Autumn Bone came today and IMHO it’s the prettiest of the ones that I have. Like all of them the fit and finish is excellent. Well done Charlie and GEC!
View attachment 1504122
I agree, I think the smooth bone is the best looking of the bunch, however mine has the most cosmetic blemishes I've seen on any GEC.
IMG_E0887 by jacob dudley, on Flickr
IMG_0888 by jacob dudley, on Flickr
IMG_0889 by jacob dudley, on Flickr
IMG_0890 by jacob dudley, on Flickr

That's a shame. I would imagine you could send that one back and have it replaced.

Does GEC directly do replacements like you are suggesting?

I would think they are all out of stock from the store where it was purchased.

Does GEC directly do replacements like you are suggesting?

I would think they are all out of stock from the store where it was purchased.
From what I gather (no personal experience though) GEC has a pretty good warranty on their knives. That knife should not have left the factory with those blemishes, so i would imagine calling/emailing the factory would get some sort of resolution. They generally keep some extras in the factory specifically for situations like this.

USED?! You can’t use a Northwoods knife! Those things are valuable flipping collectors items! :rolleyes: ;) :D
Haha, well, I'm carrying it, as I do just about every knife I have, but I'm not actually slaughtering a pig, skinning a beaver, sharpening it on a nearby piece of basalt, or any other thousand things I do with rough treatment knives.

I received this Queen Barlow earlier in the week and I am rather taken with it. Aside from the lack of a classy bolster stamp, this knife embodies a lot of what I value in a good Barlow. It is quite robust, is in a 2-blade configuration, and has some rather wonderful sawcut bone covers. The wharncliffe secondary is interesting and though I wish the blade was a bit thinner, it is quite sharp and will get the job done.

This one is going to get pocketed and used quite a bit.

s7oT2EQ.jpg

Jake Dudley Jake Dudley it's hard to hit the like, damn that's a shame, I think it's worse than not getting one, well maybe not, hope you can get it resolved
Luckily I got this one on the low end of the retail prices so it didn’t sting as bad. I’m going to send and e-mail and see what they can do but since they’re cosmetic and don’t affect function I’m not sure it will be covered.

Back