What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

s7oT2EQ.jpg
That's nice and I like the blade combo. :cool::thumbsup:

I received this Queen Barlow earlier in the week and I am rather taken with it. Aside from the lack of a classy bolster stamp, this knife embodies a lot of what I value in a good Barlow. It is quite robust, is in a 2-blade configuration, and has some rather wonderful sawcut bone covers. The wharncliffe secondary is interesting and though I wish the blade was a bit thinner, it is quite sharp and will get the job done.

This one is going to get pocketed and used quite a bit.

s7oT2EQ.jpg
Sweet knife, and another great photo Dylan!

So what is everyone's thoughts on the upcoming Micarta integral barlow coming from Boker?

I'm a huge fan of the Boker Solingen barlow lineup, but I just don't know about these guys. It might be more of an aesthetic thing for me personally, but the original point of having the extended bolster on a barlow was the added strength. Having the bolster made out of Micarta almost makes it seem like a different knife to me. They sure look good though. Looks like there are a few others with different Micarta and one with a desert ironwood handle and damascus blade.

Photo from Boker.
boker.PNG

So what is everyone's thoughts on the upcoming Micarta integral barlow coming from Boker?

I'm a huge fan of the Boker Solingen barlow lineup, but I just don't know about these guys. It might be more of an aesthetic thing for me personally, but the original point of having the extended bolster on a barlow was the added strength. Having the bolster made out of Micarta almost makes it seem like a different knife to me. They sure look good though. Looks like there are a few others with different Micarta and one with a desert ironwood handle and damascus blade.

Photo from Boker.
View attachment 1504459

I don't have a clue what the quality of a modern Boker Slipjoint might be like but as far as looks go. They got my attention. :D

I don't have a clue what the quality of a modern Boker Slipjoint might be like but as far as looks go. They got my attention. :D

If you get the ones coming out of Solingen Germany, they're absolutely fantastic. I would honestly put the fit and finish on par with GECs offerings. Boker's QC tends to be a little bit more hit and miss though.

6AsKKzn.jpg

I have some Boker Tree Brand Barlow and their craftsmanship out of Solingen Germany has always been good for me. I was looking at their Barlow the other day and missed the micarta, to me it’s definitely more for looks. I saw some of their short bolsters, didn’t understand that either and their prices just seem to high on a few knives I have liked recently.

I received this Queen Barlow earlier in the week and I am rather taken with it. Aside from the lack of a classy bolster stamp, this knife embodies a lot of what I value in a good Barlow. It is quite robust, is in a 2-blade configuration, and has some rather wonderful sawcut bone covers. The wharncliffe secondary is interesting and though I wish the blade was a bit thinner, it is quite sharp and will get the job done.

s7oT2EQ.jpg
That's a Dan Burke Barlow by Queen. I had one (see photo) but let it go and I've regretted it ever since.
IMG_2084.JPG

Photo from Boker.
View attachment 1504459
I’m a big Boker fan as well, especially their Barlow, but I’m not sure about that one. It’s the first I’ve seen of it. It is one that I think I would like to handle before I buy it, very intriguing!

If you get the ones coming out of Solingen Germany, they're absolutely fantastic. I would honestly put the fit and finish on par with GECs offerings. Boker's QC tends to be a little bit more hit and miss though.

6AsKKzn.jpg
I wouldn’t disagree with your comments on Boker’s QC. I have returned two for blade play, a barlow and a cattle knife, I’ve also returned 3 GECs in the past year and a half as well. It seems like no knife is a slam dunk for quality, but that doesn’t stop me from purchasing either brand.

s7oT2EQ.jpg

Cup of Joe, English tobacco and an excellent Barlow! :thumbsup:

Life is GOOD! :D

Dave

Photo from Boker.
View attachment 1504459
They may be a very good knife but without the long bolster , I would not put one in my Barlow collection . I will add , they do look good and I think some very nice knives are made in Solingen , that is just my opinion .

Harry

Photo from Boker.
View attachment 1504459

I like the two-tone look and the Micarta “bolster.” Recently someone brought up the idea of GEC doing a Farm & Field Barlow, and I thought it would be interesting if they did one like that, since the F&F knives are always(?) shadow patterns.

Of course, while that knife is certainly a traditional knife, it’s hardly a traditional Barlow. ;) I’ll also say that I don’t really like the look of the blade on that Böker; it looks too small for the handle, and I feel like it needs a swedge or something.

Photo from Boker.
View attachment 1504459
I think it looks great. I also really like the green and brass one you posted below it. I like micarta and also tend to like shadow patterns. Also glad there’s no shield on it. I don’t think Barlows need a shield, although the shield works on the green one.

Last edited:
I like the two-tone look and the Micarta “bolster.” Recently someone brought up the idea of GEC doing a Farm & Field Barlow, and I thought it would be interesting if they did one like that, since the F&F knives are always(?) shadow patterns.

Of course, while that knife is certainly a traditional knife, it’s hardly a traditional Barlow. ;) I’ll also say that I don’t really like the look of the blade on that Böker; it looks too small for the handle, and I feel like it needs a swedge or something.

a plain bolster barlow with delrin for farm and field would sell like gang busters! well they already do anyway

Photo from Boker.
View attachment 1504459

I've become a fan of the Solingen Barlows as well. I like the looks, but for me the lack of metal liners and bolsters removes it from consideration. That desert ironwood and Leopard Damascus version looks very nice as well, but I really wish they had stayed with the metal liners and bolsters.

Speaking of the Solingen micarta and brass "Expedition" Barlow, it has become my favorite pocket carry to date. The brass is developing a nice patina already, should develop some interesting character marks as time marches onward. The little subtilties in the patina are just getting enough to start showing in photos, under the right light and angle. Just before a short morning walk a little earlier...
original.jpg

I've become a fan of the Solingen Barlows as well. I like the looks, but for me the lack of metal liners and bolsters removes it from consideration. That desert ironwood and Leopard Damascus version looks very nice as well, but I really wish they had stayed with the metal liners and bolsters.

I think I’m in the same boat. I like the looks of the Micarta integral barlow, but it just loses some of its appeal without the metal bolster. I’ll probably purchase one just to see how they are. I do really hope they continue to produce their metal bolstered barlow. It’s a really great knife!

Your Expedition is looking excellent!

Back