What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Which of those has the best Fit and finish (good spring, tight blade).

I am asking to know which of the older Barlows is the best bang for the buck user on ebay.
It depends on a couple of your preferences... carbon steel versus stainless and then bone versus the Delrin (composite) handles. The cheapest option on the auction site would be the sawcut Delrin and I think the Ulster "Old Timer's" along with Boker are the best options there. If you want stainless, the Henckel's like the red one I posted are hard to beat. If you want vintage sawcut bone in carbon steel, this CF Wolfertz one below and the Diamond Edge one in my picture above are the best I have for fit / finish and they were both made by Schrade Cut Co c.1940's. It's hard to find a "good" lightly used "old" barlow though because they were a typical EDC back in the day, they were used hard and do lose their "spring" fairly quickly. So when you're browsing keep an eye on the "use" of the blade and if it looks fairly unused, then what I said here shouldn't steer you wrong :) It's a good question and I'm curious what others have to say on it. ;)

WB-1C.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
My Barlow group. Probably stable for a while, spent quite a bit with my photography gear and will take some time to recover savings.
original.jpg

My Barlow group. Probably stable for a while, spent quite a bit with my photography gear and will take some time to recover savings.
original.jpg
That’s an enviable collection my friend! :thumbsup:

Love this little thing

51103863643_fbce6fd850_k.jpg
Great knife 6Strings, and take it easy on the professional photos will ya, makes schmucks like me feel bad!:D:D:D
Todd

That's white bone on the TC, correct? Regardless, it's one heck of a good-looking Barlow.

I'm just a hobbyist and doing the snapshot thing, have to agree with the photography and sanity. :D

Yes white bone on the 14 frame. Being a musician hasn’t been very useful this past year! Trying to be creative on a daily basis with the camera has certainly helped.

Yes white bone on the 14 frame. Being a musician hasn’t been very useful this past year! Trying to be creative on a daily basis with the camera has certainly helped.

Beautiful knife.

I'm more technical-minded. I get all the tech stuff, but my creative brain doesn't work so well. :( But, it keeps me interested and doing stuff.

Back