What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

v6mDZCx.jpg

Charlie, your latest creation is Stunning, I love the idea of back to basics and using the Bone the way you did with these, yet you ended up creating yet another masterpiece, and I want to thank my Very Good Friend Mr. Paul Hilborn for this amazing generous Gift!! Unbelievable- thank you Paul :eek::eek::D

8ykn5Se.jpg

PIXzX86.jpg

eTUn400.jpg

xlR5BKm.jpg

Charlie, your latest creation is Stunning, I love the idea of back to basics and using the Bone the way you did with these, yet you ended up creating yet another masterpiece, and I want to thank my Very Good Friend Mr. Paul Hilborn for this amazing generous Gift!! Unbelievable- thank you Paul :eek::eek::D

8ykn5Se.jpg

PIXzX86.jpg

eTUn400.jpg

xlR5BKm.jpg

I absolutely love this! Beautiful example!

Not nicely "waned" like Duncan's example above; a whole different Wabi Sabi!!:cool:
Third cut Stag!!View attachment 1544323 View attachment 1544324

I was literally just about to comment on how nice the wane is on Duncan's barlow. It's pretty fantastic!

<snip>

That's one to hunt!

Thanks!

If you're interested there may still be a copy or two in stock somewhere on the 'net. And Boker made other patterns with the wood, with the same limited number. I've seen some places label them as Oak, Castle Wood, Castle Oak, or Castle Burg.

That's old oak re-purposed after removal from the Castle Burg during a recent renovation. Only 1133 each of a few knife types were made with this wood.

edit - a couple of recycled photos:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
Great looking Barlows, the wood is fantastic, and the acid washed blade puts it over the top.;):thumbsup:

Great looking Barlows, the wood is fantastic, and the acid washed blade puts it over the top.;):thumbsup:

Agreed. The Bog is close, and I like the spear blade.

I like them both, but the Explorer takes the cake for me. Just something about that combo. :cool:

Agreed. The Bog is close, and I like the spear blade.

I like them both, but the Explorer takes the cake for me. Just something about that combo. :cool:
The explorer is hard to beat. My Bog is the only one I’ve gotten that hasn’t been darn near perfect. It had some blade play, tried to fix that and messed up the centering.:rolleyes: Still a nice one and a good user.:thumbsup:

The explorer is hard to beat. My Bog is the only one I’ve gotten that hasn’t been darn near perfect. It had some blade play, tried to fix that and messed up the centering.:rolleyes: Still a nice one and a good user.:thumbsup:

Ouch.

I'll have to get mine out and check it, but I think it is my one Boker with slight de-centering and very minor blade play. It wasn't enough cause my OCD to twitch, so I've left it alone.

8ykn5Se.jpg

PIXzX86.jpg

eTUn400.jpg

xlR5BKm.jpg
Duncan, we know how nice it is to own a TC yet that pales compared to gifting one:thumbsup: you'd know this first hand as you have gifted many. Jack, Barrett and myself as well as others have rec'd TC's as gifts from you. Charlie's TC's are very special as he ties the nuances of the great companies into these wonderful knives:cool::cool::cool:
This shipment caused more anxiety then any other shipment in the last 8-9 years:eek:

Valley City, Fargo, Dallas, Chicago, Tokyo:eek: then onto Australia and FINALLY New Zedland. Packed with this special TC were many other nice and rare knives and the thought of not arriving had me worried...but hey, it made it and we are 100% when it comes to our shipments. Glad it made it and glad you like it. Put it to good use my friend:)

Back