What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Yeah, I didn't get mine from Effingham either 🤪 But, I DID pay an arm and a leg for it! 😵
I hear you Ken! I wish I would’ve been into collecting when Blackjack Knives was still open. Would’ve been able to get them at a more reasonable price! 😊
Todd

Fantastic example and one I had not heard of until now! My list shows this one and another 300 or more marks used by, associated with or suspected by Camlilus. Sears Craftsman Old Crafty is another but during the Delrin years which is beyond my era of interest currently. I think they did make some Wilberts but not sure of a Barlow pattern.

Is Case on your list Codger? Apparently they made Barlows for Case, along with other knives!!

Is Case on your list Codger? Apparently they made Barlows for Case, along with other knives!!
No, Case isn't listed but it wouldn't surprise me.

ETA: Tom mentioned Case and others being supplied with knives by Camillus but not specifically the Barlow pattern.

"This knife was made for the military and civilian markets. Camillus was the major supplier for the marlin spike knives. In addition to the Camillus brand, Buck, Case and Kabar brands were made at the Camillus factory." - Tom Williams

Specific to Barlows, Tom said this:
"Camillus also made the standard Barlow knife for other customers including: Montgomery-Wards, Sears-Roebuck, Lipic, Western, Robeson, New Britian and KA-BAR." - Tom Williams

Last edited:
knives by Camillus but not specifically the Barlow pattern.

Pete Cohan had a huge collection of Case Barlows, and many other Barlows in general, and he told me about the many Camillus-made Case Barlows, a lot of them brown bone. I don't remember more. 🤔

Not Camillus made, but it's a Kastor brand:

A.W. Wadsworth & Son XLNT Barlow
xZbrcXj.jpg

That Samuel Barlow in post #22,493 above, has integral bolsters (of course), and "scrap grade" handles of bone or stag, with a touch of Logwood dye!! Snaps like new for what may be my oldest knife!!

More "scrap": 😲 a near mint, wane-boned Case XX; pattern #62009,:p! ca.1950s!!
Case XX Wane 1.jpgCase XX Wane 2.jpg

When the latest Waynorth Barlows came out, they were more polished than previous versions which removed all the scale from the bolster stamp. I mentioned here that I added some faux scale back on with one of my my kids’ oil pastels (fancy crayon). At the time, somebody commented they wanted an update after a while, so here’s the update. After a decent amount of carry, it’s still there and still looks fine.

j8CKOrG.jpg

The Fulton Barlow arrived today confirming my suspicions that it was indeed a Camillus. A near perfect match in materials and construction to the slightly earlier Kwik Kut Barlow, also for Sears.

Cut is from the 1941 Sears catalog.

Last edited:
I picked up an Sheepsfoot I*XL the other day - an older completely battered one- Just couldn’t walk past the old thing!
I haven’t taken any photos of it yet - Soaking the Joints in Oil as I type!

Charlie- your examples you have posted are just unbelievable- just beautiful- the 2012 TC Ebony sports a stunning Handle!

R8shell that Wadsworth is just an awesome old Barlow- well done on that one!

Last edited:
Back