What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

g6hyODm.jpg

A Boker USA Made Primble with the Belknap Hardware tang stamp, close to unused with pretty dark brown bone covers, being bone probably late 1950's to 1960's.

View attachment 1599490View attachment 1599491
I was thinking Boker USA and Primble must be connected. I had noticed that the English jack I posted in the English jack thread was just like a Primble posted earlier by Stuart D Duckdog . Your Primble barlow is amazing, perhaps the red green brown bone on our Forum knife will resemble your nice Primble!

I was thinking Boker USA and Primble must be connected. I had noticed that the English jack I posted in the English jack thread was just like a Primble posted earlier by Stuart D Duckdog . Your Primble barlow is amazing, perhaps the red green brown bone on our Forum knife will resemble your nice Primble!

They were, for many years if the knife has a star on the pile side of the tang it signifies it was made by Boker USA.

A new arrival, I’m still trying to complete the set, The Boker ‘Rabbit Hunter’ from the 90’s American Hunter series. This one with Walnut scales. I prefer these stamped bolsters to the modern shields Böker use on their newer barlows.

51312964440_ef27679b98_k.jpg

A new arrival, I’m still trying to complete the set, The Boker ‘Rabbit Hunter’ from the 90’s American Hunter series. This one with Walnut scales. I prefer these stamped bolsters to the modern shields Böker use on their newer barlows.

51312964440_ef27679b98_k.jpg

Very nice. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Agreed on the bolsters - I wish more would go back to the stamped/ etched instead of shields.

Just recently acquired this one. Burnt Chimney I believe made by Boker. Extremely well made, nice f&f.

Speaking of using the bolster real estate, how about a stamped bolster AND a shield with two blade! :D
OPAQbDv.jpg
That’s a blade etch, a stamped bolster and a shield! Space on the pen blade? 🤔

A Boker USA Made Primble with the Belknap Hardware tang stamp, close to unused with pretty dark brown bone covers, being bone probably late 1950's to 1960's.

I need to get ahold of one of these sometime. I'm always impressed with their apparent quality, and in that irrational way that details can turn us on about a knife, I love the chamfered bolster and that "PRIMBLE" stamp.

Augie Augie didn't realize these were Boker USA made!

Thanks for sharing that info! I wonder if this one is same manufacturing timeline...It is missing a third pin in comparison to yours...

qqMUnqq.jpg

Augie Augie

Love the clip point with stamp on both sides of bolster!

With all your insights, would you know history of the knife below? Obviously, not the same knife, but given Queen also made some of Schatt & Morgan knives, thought there might be some connection...

Overall design (blade shapes, bolster sizes and lettering, etc.) looks to be similar but with different branding...

uUeWz0e.jpg

Back