What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Augie Augie

Love the clip point with stamp on both sides of bolster!

With all your insights, would you know history of the knife below? Obviously, not the same knife, but given Queen also made some of Schatt & Morgan knives, thought there might be some connection...

Overall design (blade shapes, bolster sizes and lettering, etc.) looks to be similar but with different branding...

uUeWz0e.jpg

Very nice S&M,there were some of those made around the same time as the Robeson's and there were some made later when the Daniels owned Queen, if Daniels made they may have DFC stamped on back tang of main. All S&M's are Queen made except the original vintage knives, the S&M line was generally a higher quality knife.
Here is a single blade S&M and that is etched on the back of main 2001, that would have been roughly the same time as the Robeson's, all are great Barlows.

IMG_2572.jpegIMG_2574.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice S&M,there were some of those made around the same time as the Robeson's and there were some made later when the Daniels owned Queen, if Daniels made they may have DFC stamped on back tang of main. All S&M's are Queen made except the original vintage knives, the S&M line was generally a higher quality knife.
Here is a single blade S&M and that is etched on the back of main 2001, that would have been roughly the same time as the Robeson's, all are great Barlows.

View attachment 1601583View attachment 1601584
Augie Augie thank you again for the info.

I’ll take some pictures to share soon but I don’t believe it has DFC stamp.

View attachment 1601583View attachment 1601584
Really nice :cool: :) :thumbsup:

It has traditional construction, but the Micarta bolster might be pushing it a bit, what do you folks think? Traditional or not?View attachment 1604766

even the "damascus" steel is debatable. on one hand, genuine damascus steel existed before folding knives did but is this an example of true damascus steel or just damascus patterned steel. micarta bolster no for me, thats more a modern traditional.

even the "damascus" steel is debatable. on one hand, genuine damascus steel existed before folding knives did but is this an example of true damascus steel or just damascus patterned steel. micarta bolster no for me, thats more a modern traditional.
It’s real Damascus, so I guess the debate is about the Micarta bolster.

It has traditional construction, but the Micarta bolster might be pushing it a bit, what do you folks think? Traditional or not?View attachment 1604766

I don't have a problem using modern materials with traditional knives. Sometimes even time tested designs can be improved upon, especially when it comes to blade steel. The Barlow was the first knife my Dad gave me, sixty-some years ago & since then I've accumulated "a few" more. Titanium, carbon fiber, and M390 steel aren't exactly traditional materials, but I still like my Lionsteel Barlows, and they get carried alot.

And here's an old pic of my Barlow for the day.

Since you asked, I'll opine:

It is a "Traditional Knife"
It is a "Barlow."

It is not a "traditional Barlow"

But what do I know? Some old fellow might say my Empire isn't traditional, since it doesn't have integral bolsters.
IDlHOtV.jpg

Since you asked, I'll opine:

It is a "Traditional Knife"
It is a "Barlow."

It is not a "traditional Barlow"

But what do I know? Some old fellow might say my Empire isn't traditional, since it doesn't have integral bolsters.
IDlHOtV.jpg

Way closer to "traditional" than the Lionsteel Barlows, with their adjustable pivots, torx screw construction, and even more modern materials.
Thanks for your valued opinions. 👍
I tend to agree that the construction is more of a determiner than the material.

Back