What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Back in the my toasty home...the wind and cold at bay....coffee brewing ...Barlow theosophy. I feel the attraction!

What constitutes the subtle attraction? Is it the evocation of the magic of Quadrivium geometry? The linguistic invocation of the symbol of the bolster stamp?

The bolsters visual insight into the theory of thirds?

I too ...must ruminate

Waynorth...you did this to make me feel bad didnt you? ....just kidding! Beautiful collection!...I own rust in comparison!

Is the last knife down on the first photo a Schrade? It looks a lot like one I had as a kid. I believe it was the first good knife that I ever bought.

Wow! I got completely 'lost' on this thread! Great post Charlie, really interesting thread, and some absolutely amazing knives :thumbup:

Very, very nice....a Barlow was my very first knife at age 8. It somehow survived years of abuse including being thrown at trees and games of mumbly peg at school and being buried in my tool pouch for years until I recently found it again.

I cleaned it up and put it in my knife roll where it belongs. One of the covers is bent (Imperial shell with tab connections), I am tempted to do what Doug did with his... >think< and convert it into something new.

I've only just started appreciating Barlows.
I've had a few Imperials forever. They always seemed a little bulky, and I can't help being offended by the fake bolsters on a knife whose main characteristic, to my mind, is extra long extra strong bolsters. (Never mind that they cut very nicely and I've never seen one come apart at the "fake" bolsters.)
I've got Queen's aluminum mono-bloc, which I haven't carried much, but my new favorite edc is an Ulster Old Timer Barlow. Small and smoothly round in the pocket, with just enough weight in the bolsters to feel where it is when I think about it.

Boker makes a classic Barlow
A long plain bolster and a grey picked bearhead bone
Carbon
3 3/8 "
Nothing extra
And a very reasonable price, which fits with the popular pattern

Great pics Charlie. It's nice to see so many different examples.

I guess in my mind the barlow is always going to be a stamped bolster, sawcut bone, and a pen blade in front of the main blade. (I'm looking at you on that last part, Case.) That was the knife I remember my dad carrying when I was a kid.

Wade, many companies have made Daddy Barlows. Russel, Schrade, Remington etc.etc.
I don't have many as I have stuck with what I call the "standard" Barlow.

Back in the my toasty home...the wind and cold at bay....coffee brewing ...Barlow theosophy. I feel the attraction!

What constitutes the subtle attraction? Is it the evocation of the magic of Quadrivium geometry? The linguistic invocation of the symbol of the bolster stamp?

The bolsters visual insight into the theory of thirds?

I too ...must ruminate

A born Ruminator!!:D
Nay a full blown Philosopher!!:eek:

Waynorth...you did this to make me feel bad didnt you? ....just kidding! Beautiful collection!...I own rust in comparison!

You too will have more knives Dave! I'd trade a whole lot of them for a little more youth!!

Is the last knife down on the first photo a Schrade? It looks a lot like one I had as a kid. I believe it was the first good knife that I ever bought.

Yes Mossy, made by Schrade. I have always liked that fancy scrolled Bolster they did. I've also wished they had put bone handles on some!

Scan #2... Amber bone Boker and scan #3 ( G )...:thumbup: :thumbup:
Lots of sweet knives in those scans :)

Is there a custom built knife in the future of this thread?

All will be revealed, Sitflyer!;)

Great pics Charlie. It's nice to see so many different examples.

I guess in my mind the barlow is always going to be a stamped bolster, sawcut bone, and a pen blade in front of the main blade. (I'm looking at you on that last part, Case.) That was the knife I remember my dad carrying when I was a kid.

Case makes a lot of them with the pen behind, Nate, I've noticed that too. Their older knives are split about 50-50. I like the pen in front also.

Just a kid, Dave! Got ya by 20 years!!
Spend wisely my son! In 20 years they will look cheap!!:D

sorry to hijack
i'm biased but i think this one is a good one, was my grandads, 40's era (maybe camillus contracted?)... its lived a hard but honest life, wonder what this utica would look like with full blades? anybody got one :) (also the inspiration in part for the Bladeforums stamp)
as always charlie your examples are amazing
gene

utica.jpg

Back