What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

... and the difference between the two is?

~ P.

I don't know all the differences between a "Boy's" knife, and an "Adult's" knife.
Bernie Levine says Boys' knives are regular or curved Jacks with one blade, usually, but sometimes two. They are 3 1/2" long or under. They are constructed as cheaply as possible to keep the price down.
My observation has been that they often have:
no shield, composite (plastic) or hollow handles, and sometimes coined or cast metal handles.
They may or may not have a cap (bottom bolster).

I don't know all the differences between a "Boy's" knife, and an "Adult's" knife.
Bernie Levine says Boys' knives are regular or curved Jacks with one blade, usually, but sometimes two. They are 3 1/2" long or under. They are constructed as cheaply as possible to keep the price down.
no shield, composite (plastic) or hollow handles, and sometimes coined or cast metal handles.
They may or may not have a cap (bottom bolster).

Okay, thanks (to scrteened porch as well, although I'm often distracted reading his posts, wondering just how the t got into his screen).

And in this specific instance, GEC's "boy's knife" will have:

?

;)

~ P.

They are constructed as cheaply as possible to keep the price down.

Hopefully NOT the case with your version Charlie

Hopefully NOT the case with your version Charlie

Jim, sawcut bone handles will be on the Barlow I helped design. It's a Barlow after all, and not strictly a Boy's Knife. The rules are not rules, just a reflection of common practice you know.

In one of those cross-over patterns (note how the English/American language mutates according to advertising - in this case, automotive!!), I would call the top right knife in the OP (original post), a Boys Barlow!! Cast steel handles with integrated long Barlow Bolster, one blade, no liners. Intended for a Boy's allowance for sure!! Yet a secure, functional knife.

Okay, thanks (to scrteened porch as well, although I'm often distracted reading his posts, wondering just how the t got into his screen).

And in this specific instance, GEC's "boy's knife" will have:

?

;)

~ P.

Don't know for sure, ~P. You can be sure it will not be plain and ugly though. It will have some of the nice features we all admire about GEC knives. Hopefully they will tickle the Boy and Girl in all of us! I guess the PC term would be "youth's knife" or something, but we can use the language of the appropriate era IMO. Hopefully this does not offend our woman members.

Why the long pull Charlie? On the front page of this thread you said about the Barlows shown; "Now the lower, right knife in the first scan is a righteous Barlow." That knife has a standard "half-moon" nail nick - very nice - as do the majority of the knives shown in all your scans.

I have several Barlows and find the long pull more pleasing to my eye on the ones with clip blades. I haven't read every post above but wonder if they'll put a barlow out with a clip blade.

Last edited:
Don't know for sure, ~P. You can be sure it will not be plain and ugly though. It will have some of the nice features we all admire about GEC knives. Hopefully they will tickle the Boy and Girl in all of us! I guess the PC term would be "youth's knife" or something, but we can use the language of the appropriate era IMO. Hopefully this does not offend our woman members.

Excellent!

And, given both tradition and predominant consumer base, "Boys Knife" is a fine moniker.

My main thought about the upcoming version is that there will be a lot of old boys lining up for this knife. ;)

Thanks for the continued teases updates and information.

Looks like we may see the Huckleberry first (as per GEC's "Upcoming" schedule)...?

~ P.

Wow, that's going to be perfect! I really like what I am hearing about steel bolters and pivot pin. Right on and about time :)

I know what I want for christmas this year!

hint: it has sawcut bone handles :D

Oooh, gonna HAVE to pick up a GEC barlow. Lookin' great so far!
Thanks for the heads-up and teaser photos, Charlie! :)

Excellent!

And, given both tradition and predominant consumer base, "Boys Knife" is a fine moniker.

My main thought about the upcoming version is that there will be a lot of old boys lining up for this knife. ;)

Thanks for the continued teases updates and information.

Looks like we may see the Huckleberry first (as per GEC's "Upcoming" schedule)...?

~ P.

We have to grow old.........we don't have to grow up:D

Stan

The handle discussion is ongoing right now, with sawcut the only one decided.
Stay tuned . . .:cool:
The long pull? Why not?? It is more rare on older Barlows, and I have always been happy to find one!
There is a clip blade in your future Ed! But maybe not 'til next year!

Last edited:

~ P.

Deep hidden meaning! It's a typo that I still don't know how to fix, and if I did, what if the correctly spelled name were taken?
Though I haven't noticed a screened porch around here.

Deep hidden meaning! It's a typo that I still don't know how to fix, and if I did, what if the correctly spelled name were taken?
Though I haven't noticed a screened porch around here.

Ha! That's funny. Also sorta sad. Thanks for the explanation. It's $10 to change a username (halfway down the page).

I don't think there's a "screened porch," but hey-- your username is memorable! I shall endeavor to not be distracted (I'll go, "Oh, typo" and move along).

What's that you say? Barlows? Ohhhh, right.

Look, Charlie, they got yer blades all messy:

DSCN1504.jpg

;)

~ P.

I don't want to break any rules so I'm sending you a PM, Charlie. You can probably guess its contents though.

Trust me on this one, Sir, my daughter would not be offended in the slightest. She is a third generation service member, SSG in the USAF, and more importantly to me, my fishing buddy. She appreciates a good knife, and knows how to care for one. If they are available in time, she will be getting one under the Christmas tree.

Back