What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

The sheepfoot is a new addition from the Exchange.

Nice TCs supratentorial! Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that tan jigged bone a little lighter all around than the average specimen? Either way, I really like that one. Great grab!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fantastic Charlie, their are some really wonderful old Barlow's in there and very unusual and hard to find bolster stamps. That purple is where it belongs.

So I finally got around to taking some pics. The first one I tweaked the color to show the Ragginess! The others I took outside to show off the great color of my Black Cherry bone!

208C243D-AB84-44E0-A99B-73EBBE6512F5_zps9djue7op.jpg

992AE412-FC5E-4351-91CF-45BBFA4F0AC7_zpsa0r4zb2q.jpg

3F1891A7-7224-47FC-A47C-AE371227E854_zpsrvv8mza5.jpg

F971D033-6CB2-42D5-847C-C423F1CB46EC_zpsjhbzhmj0.jpg

It took quite a bit of sharpening to get an edge on it, the grind wasn't finished at the tip and there was a good bit of material to take off. That being said, she's sharp now and has been getting a good bit of pocket time since I received it! I love my first TC!! The size is perfect for my watch pocket just like I thought it would be. I have a problem though . . . I think I now 'NEED' a TC on the 15 frame! I'm leaning towards a Clip with a Sheepsfoot coming in second. Thanks Charlie!!

Nice group shot, Tim! :thumbup:

SA Condor, that's a great looking Black Cherry #14! As far as your issue with the bevel/grind towards the tip, I experienced the same thing with some of the #14's I got (TC's and Boy's Knives). Seemed to me like the bevel angle was just more obtuse than the rest of the edge. Nothing a good initial sharpening didn't take care of. :D

Letter%20Bolsters%201_zpsva2udjjq.jpg

I wonder if there are enough letters on Barlow Bolsters in the world, to complete the English alphabet?

Letter%20Bolsters%201_zpsva2udjjq.jpg

I wonder if there are enough letters on Barlow Bolsters in the world, to complete the English alphabet?

The OK knife looks to be made for someone from Oklahoma. I will have to use that stamp when I do my SFO. :D (smiley face added lest anyone think I am serious and have an SFO)

Nice TCs supratentorial! Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that tan jigged bone a little lighter all around than the average specimen? Either way, I really like that one. Great grab!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Sabercat! I haven't seen others so I can't make a comparison of the color. I'm not especially particular as long as it looks like old knives. Charlie/GEC did a nice job getting the jigged bone to look similar to the oldies.

No, I am not planning a Daddy Barlow anytime soon!! I just thought it was time to post these lonesome, often neglected big Guys!!

Daddies%201_zpscs5hhnjy.jpg

Daddies%203_zpsu1rdmepo.jpg

Daddies%202_zpsmnvcyo66.jpg

The three-line Camillus is a new addition!

What outstanding Barlows Charlie! I could look at Barlows all day long and never get enough:beguiled: Those big fellas look so pristine and well tended to! Thanks for the scans I feel reenergized and inspired to keep hunting. Lloyd

What outstanding Barlows Charlie! I could look at Barlows all day long and never get enough:beguiled: Those big fellas look so pristine and well tended to! Thanks for the scans I feel reenergized and inspired to keep hunting. Lloyd

+1 Your Barlow scans are always a treat, Charlie. That is what started me on this wonderful (maddening) Barlow quest! Your knife scans are always an education and a resource.

The OK knife looks to be made for someone from Oklahoma. I will have to use that stamp when I do my SFO. :D (smiley face added lest anyone think I am serious and have an SFO)

I think an Oklahoma Barlow would be a great SFO! Not that you are serious about that. :D:D

+1 Your Barlow scans are always a treat, Charlie. That is what started me on this wonderful (maddening) Barlow quest! Your knife scans are always an education and a resource.

Pretty much what Lloyd and Dean stated, your scans keep giving me inspiration, education and resource for my own Barlow quest.

Nice group of Grand Daddy's, I really thing we need a Great Eastern Grand Daddy Barlow, betcha it would be a hell of a knife.

Did manage to add another old one this week, I think it is a Furness although a couple letters are worn away, the bolster is what makes this Barlow, angles and curves, very pleasing to the eye. Great bone, this one is larger than the other old English Barlow's I have. Anyone know what ONB stands for?

IMG_5900_zpswedepvfl.jpg

IMG_5901_zpstpyxgiwr.jpg

IMG_5906_zpscqydayoo.jpg

IMG_5908_zps7pe5xg5t.jpg

IMG_5909_zpsr7qsyhs0.jpg

IMG_5911_zpsikgs74qx.jpg

Back