What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Augie, very interesting! Both Charlie (I think?) and I have a different model of ONB barlow. Mine is marked "O.N.B./BARLOW/GERMANY" on the tang.

Also, here's a catalogue page someone recently posted.

ONB_sm.jpg

1913-hsb-catalog-barlows-2_zpsulc5mhop.jpg

IMG_3379_zpsseq5w1wt.jpg

Snapshot of Charlie's knife that I took at the Rendezvous in August.

IMG_3445_zpshvrasg3a.jpg

The Black Cherry Lick Creek I bought from the man himself. My constant companion since.

I have had more than my fair share of Charlie's SFOs from the the older Queens to the new 77s. I think the only one I haven't tried is the new 98. Aesthetically, the 85 Real Harness Jacks are my favorite. Everything about that 85 from the etch to the overall presentation just appeals to me. However, the blade combo just isn't what I need more often than not.

The single sheepfoot TC Barlow is by far more of a practical carry for me and I have been holding off until I found one in Palo Santo. Lignum vitae is one of my favorite knife handles and I am on cloud nine that I was able to get one. I know the sawcut, soup bones, and others may be more popular, but imo the Palo Santo is the most beautiful.

Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to pair it with an all steel NF Clip Barlow from Mike.

My 1 and only 15

An amazing looking one there. Beautiful handles with what I agree is a very useful blade shape.

Nice one Brett. The Palo Santo has to be seen in person to truly appreciate the variations of coloring and patterns in the grain of the wood.

Thank you Tim and Bob. :) Not going to force a patina but I am looking forward to having one develop.

Nice choice for a one and only Brett! I am quite proud of that one!!
I keep one stashed away, for when I REALLY get old!:eek:
:D

John, I think ONB stands for;
Oh No . . another Barlow!!

:D:D

Nice stepped bolsters BTW!!:thumbup:

No, I am not planning a Daddy Barlow anytime soon!! I just thought it was time to post these lonesome, often neglected big Guys!!

Daddies%201_zpscs5hhnjy.jpg

The three-line Camillus is a new addition!

Charlie- Nice new addition, on you dont see too often - Love the bone.

Did manage to add another old one this week, I think it is a Furness although a couple letters are worn away, the bolster is what makes this Barlow, angles and curves, very pleasing to the eye. Great bone, this one is larger than the other old English Barlow's I have. Anyone know what ONB stands for?

IMG_5900_zpswedepvfl.jpg

IMG_5901_zpstpyxgiwr.jpg

IMG_5906_zpscqydayoo.jpg

IMG_5908_zps7pe5xg5t.jpg

IMG_5909_zpsr7qsyhs0.jpg

IMG_5911_zpsikgs74qx.jpg

Augie, you better be careful my friend, if that time machine of yours runs out of juice - or get a flat battery when you keep popping back in time, you may find getting a battery charger hard, and stuck you will be.

I have had more than my fair share of Charlie's SFOs from the the older Queens to the new 77s. I think the only one I haven't tried is the new 98. Aesthetically, the 85 Real Harness Jacks are my favorite. Everything about that 85 from the etch to the overall presentation just appeals to me. However, the blade combo just isn't what I need more often than not.

The single sheepfoot TC Barlow is by far more of a practical carry for me and I have been holding off until I found one in Palo Santo. Lignum vitae is one of my favorite knife handles and I am on cloud nine that I was able to get one. I know the sawcut, soup bones, and others may be more popular, but imo the Palo Santo is the most beautiful.

Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to pair it with an all steel NF Clip Barlow from Mike.

My 1 and only 15

That is a very nice TC Barlow Brett !!!! I don't expect that I will ever have one because I made the decision to only collect Northfields , because I can't collect everything . But I am very happy to drool over the TC's that everybody else posts pictures of.
Maybe someday you will get lucky and be able to get a 77 too.

Harry

Did manage to add another old one this week, I think it is a Furness although a couple letters are worn away, the bolster is what makes this Barlow, angles and curves, very pleasing to the eye. Great bone, this one is larger than the other old English Barlow's I have. Anyone know what ONB stands for?

IMG_5900_zpswedepvfl.jpg

That is a very nice old Furness Augie !!! Congrats on the super find my friend . Is it old enough to have the integral bolsters ????
The shape of the bolsters certainly remind me of the Taylors Eye Witness barlows. Thanks for the great Picture Show !!!

Harry

...Also, here's a catalogue page someone recently posted...
Someone very handsome. :D

...John, I think ONB stands for;
Oh No . . another Barlow!!

:D:D

You down with ONB? Yah you know me! :D

From Goins' Encyclopedia page 205

"O.N.B. Barlow c 1901-1913"

and

"O.N.B. (on bolster) c 1901-1913 Barlow knives have been seen with all these different tang markings: "Cruso Germany" (Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Company), "Germania Cutlery Works" (A. Kastor & Brothers, "universal Knife Co." (L.T.Snow), "O.N.B. Barlow", and "A.W. Wadsorth & Sons Germany" (A. Kastor & Brothers)"

Last edited:
Nice collection Augie :thumbup: ONB stands for "Only Need Barlows" :D

That Schrade is a beauty. :thumbup:

Hey John, can you get a closer pic of the tang on your latest Furness?
All kidding aside, that is a great find!

Thanks everyone, love picking up an old one. Mark, Only Need Barlow's is spot on or maybe One Neat Barlow:D

Charlie, here is a better pic of tang stamp, my camera skills have deteriorated lately,

IMG_5913_zpspf0crk2y.jpg

Harry, it is the integral bolsters, appear to be cast iron? What always amazes me about these old ones is everyone I have come across is still tight with no blade play and great snap.
IMG_5915_zpsgcyxxpxj.jpg

Thanks for the question and the reply! I was wondering the same thing about the filework, but should have guessed from the large size.

Letter%20Bolsters%201_zpsva2udjjq.jpg

I wonder if there are enough letters on Barlow Bolsters in the world, to complete the English alphabet?
Exceptional examples, Charlie, and an interesting question! :thumbup: Wouldn't it be fun to send not-so-secret messages by laying out a bunch of lettered Barlows? ;)

No, I am not planning a Daddy Barlow anytime soon!! I just thought it was time to post these lonesome, often neglected big Guys!!

Daddies%201_zpscs5hhnjy.jpg

The three-line Camillus is a new addition!
Amazing set of Daddy Barlows! :thumbup::cool: I'm kind of surprised at how many have an EO notch and no nail nick. Congrats on the new-to-you Camillus, Charlie (although my old eyes can't pick out which one it is :( At least I can still figure out a couple that it's NOT:rolleyes:)! :thumbup:

IMG_5900_zpswedepvfl.jpg

Congrats, Augie; another of your Outstanding, Noteworthy Barlows! :thumbup::thumbup:

Augie, you better be careful my friend, if that time machine of yours runs out of juice - or get a flat battery when you keep popping back in time, you may find getting a battery charger hard, and stuck you will be.
As usual, Duncan is unusually insightful; what he mentions here is a serious concern, Augie! :eek::D:eek: (I think we may have lost poor Primble in just this fashion! :()

My 1 and only 15

Congrats on scoring the Palo Santo you were after, Brett!! :cool::cool:

Back