1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Nov 12, 2012.

1. tstaut

tstaut

Jan 6, 2012
    Augie, very interesting! Both Charlie (I think?) and I have a different model of ONB barlow. Mine is marked "O.N.B./BARLOW/GERMANY" on the tang.

Also, here's a catalogue page someone recently posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

Snapshot of Charlie's knife that I took at the Rendezvous in August.

[​IMG]

The Black Cherry Lick Creek I bought from the man himself. My constant companion since.

3. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I have had more than my fair share of Charlie's SFOs from the the older Queens to the new 77s. I think the only one I haven't tried is the new 98. Aesthetically, the 85 Real Harness Jacks are my favorite. Everything about that 85 from the etch to the overall presentation just appeals to me. However, the blade combo just isn't what I need more often than not.

The single sheepfoot TC Barlow is by far more of a practical carry for me and I have been holding off until I found one in Palo Santo. Lignum vitae is one of my favorite knife handles and I am on cloud nine that I was able to get one. I know the sawcut, soup bones, and others may be more popular, but imo the Palo Santo is the most beautiful.

Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to pair it with an all steel NF Clip Barlow from Mike.

My 1 and only 15

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    An amazing looking one there. Beautiful handles with what I agree is a very useful blade shape.

5. BigBiscuit

BigBiscuit

Dec 11, 2014
    Nice one Brett. The Palo Santo has to be seen in person to truly appreciate the variations of coloring and patterns in the grain of the wood.

6. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Thank you Tim and Bob. :) Not going to force a patina but I am looking forward to having one develop.

7. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice choice for a one and only Brett! I am quite proud of that one!!
    I keep one stashed away, for when I REALLY get old!:eek:
    :D

John, I think ONB stands for;
    Oh No . . another Barlow!!

:D:D

Nice stepped bolsters BTW!!:thumbup:

8. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Charlie- Nice new addition, on you dont see too often - Love the bone.

Augie, you better be careful my friend, if that time machine of yours runs out of juice - or get a flat battery when you keep popping back in time, you may find getting a battery charger hard, and stuck you will be.

9. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    That is a very nice TC Barlow Brett !!!! I don't expect that I will ever have one because I made the decision to only collect Northfields , because I can't collect everything . But I am very happy to drool over the TC's that everybody else posts pictures of.
    Maybe someday you will get lucky and be able to get a 77 too.

Harry

10. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    That is a very nice old Furness Augie !!! Congrats on the super find my friend . Is it old enough to have the integral bolsters ????
    The shape of the bolsters certainly remind me of the Taylors Eye Witness barlows. Thanks for the great Picture Show !!!

Harry

11. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Someone very handsome. :D

You down with ONB? Yah you know me! :D

From Goins' Encyclopedia page 205

"O.N.B. Barlow c 1901-1913"

and

"O.N.B. (on bolster) c 1901-1913 Barlow knives have been seen with all these different tang markings: "Cruso Germany" (Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Company), "Germania Cutlery Works" (A. Kastor & Brothers, "universal Knife Co." (L.T.Snow), "O.N.B. Barlow", and "A.W. Wadsorth & Sons Germany" (A. Kastor & Brothers)"

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  12. Markesharp

Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Nice collection Augie :thumbup: ONB stands for "Only Need Barlows" :D

That Schrade is a beauty. :thumbup:

13. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Hey John, can you get a closer pic of the tang on your latest Furness?
    All kidding aside, that is a great find!

14. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Thanks everyone, love picking up an old one. Mark, Only Need Barlow's is spot on or maybe One Neat Barlow:D

Charlie, here is a better pic of tang stamp, my camera skills have deteriorated lately,

[​IMG]

Harry, it is the integral bolsters, appear to be cast iron? What always amazes me about these old ones is everyone I have come across is still tight with no blade play and great snap.
    [​IMG]

15. RobbW

RobbW Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Furness
    [over]
    England

???

Neat find!!?:thumbup:

16. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't really understand how those sawbacks were/are used, but they sure look good.

17. Markesharp

Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Those aren't saws, they are for scaling fish. :)

18. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks for the question and the reply! I was wondering the same thing about the filework, but should have guessed from the large size.

19. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Ah, I guess I should have known that. Very cool!

20. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Exceptional examples, Charlie, and an interesting question! :thumbup: Wouldn't it be fun to send not-so-secret messages by laying out a bunch of lettered Barlows? ;)

Amazing set of Daddy Barlows! :thumbup::cool: I'm kind of surprised at how many have an EO notch and no nail nick. Congrats on the new-to-you Camillus, Charlie (although my old eyes can't pick out which one it is :( At least I can still figure out a couple that it's NOT:rolleyes:)! :thumbup:

Congrats, Augie; another of your Outstanding, Noteworthy Barlows! :thumbup::thumbup:

As usual, Duncan is unusually insightful; what he mentions here is a serious concern, Augie! :eek::D:eek: (I think we may have lost poor Primble in just this fashion! :()

Congrats on scoring the Palo Santo you were after, Brett!! :cool::cool: