What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Paul - thats a great photo of two VERY nice TC's!!! Beautiful Colour!!!

Travman - NICE TC!!! Those Red Soup's were an instant hit - GEC I feel hit the nail on the head - and again IMO- feel that the colour was as good as the 60's and 70's Case red Bone- which is a big thing to state.

Speaking of case - Pt Luso, beautiful knife!

Atiger - Clearcut Barlow, I havent heard too much about them - Nice Looking Knife you have there.

I have seen plenty of examples of fine cutlery from the "golden age" manufactures and from present day manufacturers on this thread and have learned a lot. Makes me happy knowing someday I can pass these onto my children and maybe they'll send them off with the next generation.

A good friend of mine told me these pocket knives are like little time machines. He's right! Every time I look at them I imagine myself in an old hardware store or general store. :thumbup::thumbup:

GREAT pair of TC's Cscholl and pictures of them. I love old currency and the left coin in the top picture has me intrigued, can you tell me more about it please?

GREAT pair of TC's Cscholl and pictures of them. I love old currency and the left coin in the top picture has me intrigued, can you tell me more about it please?

Thanks Paul! that is a "large Cent" or what's left of one anyway :D made between 1793-1857 is the equivalent to a penny today. A friend of my mothers gave it to her to give to me. You can barely make anything out of it anymore. I call it the "Shadow Penny" because it has the silhouette of lady liberty. I love using coins now in my photos because it gives people reference to how old these knives could be. Heck these coins probably rode right alongside a knife just like this one back in the day.

I have seen plenty of examples of fine cutlery from the "golden age" manufactures and from present day manufacturers on this thread and have learned a lot. Makes me happy knowing someday I can pass these onto my children and maybe they'll send them off with the next generation.

A good friend of mine told me these pocket knives are like little time machines. He's right! Every time I look at them I imagine myself in an old hardware store or general store. :thumbup::thumbup:

Love this mix of nostalgia and the new. Beautiful knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you ! That was my grandfather's #07 Miller Falls ! (handle was replaced with a larger one)

The #14 GEC is in my pocket today.

The best type of knife or tool is one that has a family history. Both the #14 and #07 (skew block plane) are somewhat rare.

Definitely not the fanciest Barlow around, but there's something quite warm about the brass and rosewood combo on this Kabar.
4f1abadb9e5e400cddb9467d41869b0f.jpg

I like your idea of knives as time machines. How will these modern old Barlows be thought of by future knife users?

I like your idea of knives as time machines. How will these modern old Barlows be thought of by future knife users?

Thanks Dean! A knife with a good story/history is even more special IMO....Hey I've never seen a coin like that one before ;)

Travman - NICE TC!!! Those Red Soup's were an instant hit - GEC I feel hit the nail on the head - and again IMO- feel that the colour was as good as the 60's and 70's Case red Bone- which is a big thing to state.
When I first received this Red Soupbone version the first thing I noticed was the deep red color and I too thought of Case's red bone knives. It is only the GEC I've seen that really comes close. I'm definitely in love. I haven't set this one down since it came last week.

IMG_5545_zpsvxzcktpk.jpg

IMG_5540_zpszwuccvgl.jpg

Edit: and thanks to Bob (BigBiscuit) for passing it along to me.

Last edited:
When I first received this Red Soupbone version the first thing I noticed was the deep red color and I too thought of Case's red bone knives. It is only the GEC I've seen that really comes close. I'm definitely in love. I haven't set this one down since it came last week.

IMG_5545_zpsvxzcktpk.jpg

IMG_5540_zpszwuccvgl.jpg

Great travman. There's red and then there's RED. That is very red, I agree like the old Case Redbone.

Received this Shrade Barlow as a gift yesterday from Gasman1 . It is a well made knife that is in great shape. It has been carried very little in it's lifetime of what I suspect is about 40 years . You folks who collect Schrade will know the timeline better than I so please help me out on the timeline if I am way off . Just a Much Appreciated gift from Dave ( Gasman1 )
Shown along side my other Schrade Barlow and the Russell 1975 Commemorative Addition that I suspect was made by Schrade .

Harry

Back