What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

849.jpg

th_wub.gif

~ P.

Thanks for importing this picture, ~P!!

Look at all that beautiful steel!!

A mixture of Huckleberry and Sawyer parts - your emoticon says it all! I can't wait to see these knives in hand!
I am trying to convince them to do a few Barlows in Ebony besides the Saw-cut Bone. Any opinions??

When has Ebony ever not worked?
I think with the design of this knife = totally Traditional, I think Ebony would be outstanding IMHO.

Is Sawyer Barlow the two blade version and Huckleberry with single blade? Which version is to be released first? Sorry if this was mentioned earlier.

Ebony always works, Duncan, I agree.
I'm not sure I can convince GEC to do it. It complicates the production; but I am working on it.

The Huckleberry is a Jack knife, with a smaller top bolster, and a cap or bottom bolster.
The Sawyer is the Barlow. Both will come in one and two blade versions, Terence.

I suspect there will be a lot of different versions of this #15 pattern over the next year or two.
Different main blades, handle materials. EO Jacks, maybe even a Harness Jack!!

I am getting kinda excited here. . . . . . . . It won't be long now!!

Thanks again, Charlie, for clarifying. Wow, would love to see a TC Barlow with a punch .. in ebony!

I can't wait to see these knives in hand!

Oh, I'll bet. You've been "waiting" for them a lot longer than the rest of us! It must be very exciting, having had to streamline a variety of very good ideas down to the better/best ones, to now see this coming to fruition.

waynorth said:
I am trying to convince them to do a few Barlows in Ebony besides the Saw-cut Bone. Any opinions??

I'd go for an Ebony...one of my favorite cover materials !

When has Ebony ever not worked?
I think with the design of this knife = totally Traditional, I think Ebony would be outstanding IMHO.

Ebony always works, Duncan, I agree.

Yes, yes, yes.

In other words, there will be ebony Huckleberries/Capped Jacks in this next/first run, but no plans for an uncapped, single-wholesome-bolster Barlow in the same? T'would be nice indeed.

waynorth said:
The Huckleberry is a Jack knife, with a smaller top bolster, and a cap or bottom bolster.
The Sawyer is the Barlow. Both will come in one and two blade versions, Terence.

Which one is being referred to as the Boys Knife? The Huckleberry, with one or two blades, or the single-blade edition of both/either? Not that it really matters; it will become clear once More Is Revealed.

Like I said before: bring 'em. :)

I would add, however, that as neo-traditional as "NifeBrite" may be as a handle material (heh), it's an inspired choice for a youth knife.

waynorth said:
I suspect there will be a lot of different versions of this #15 pattern over the next year or two.
Different main blades, handle materials. EO Jacks, maybe even a Harness Jack!!

We have much to look forward to.

~ P.

I really like the look of that long pull and swedge, but what I most like is that GEC didn't go with the extra-wide-at-the-tip "paddle" shape which they often employ with their spears. This one is more of a "straight arrow"!

Andrew

Last edited:
I really like the look of that long pull and swedge, but what I most like is that GEC didn't go with the extra-wide-at-the-tip "paddle" shape which they often employ with their spears. This one is a real "straight arrow"!

Andrew

I noticed that as well. It's more along the lines of the spear mains on the White Owls. :thumbup:

~ P.

I noticed that as well. It's more along the lines of the spear mains on the White Owls. :thumbup:

~ P.
And on the #53s I've seen.

I'm down for the capped jacks in ebony. I'll probably hold off on the barlows until ebony is offered. I've been on an ebony kick lately...

Yeah, that "paddle" or "leaf" spear only fits in wide handles like the #85 Teardrop.
But the blade needs a slight swell to look good. If ground dead straight, it would actually look worn down! There are many subtle details that create a nicely balanced knife.
As has been said, God is in the details.

I'd be all over either of these in ebony, and I'd almost bet they'd sell better & faster than the NifeBrite ones.

I'd be all over either of these in ebony, and I'd almost bet they'd sell better & faster than the NifeBrite ones.

From my understanding, the same knives (the non-barlows) will be offered in both ebony and NifeBrite.

The barlows, to date (at least as per current information) will boast saw-cut bone only, in this first run.

15.png

~ P.

I just got the word that there will be some Ebony Barlows in this production run!
And the run has begun, as the picture above, hints!!

I'm really looking forward to these, too. It's exciting to see GEC produce a REAL barlow, instead of that weird little stubby thing they've been making.

Back