What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

X3aclFA.jpg

IryNztx.jpg
Probably my favorite jigged bone TC I have seen, nice Bob!

You are a brave man to pocket that Barlow, Drew! I look forward to seeing it pick up character as it rides along with you!
Nice knives Rob, Bob and ecallahan

A gift from one our most skilled Barlow Whisperers, Augie!! (where do you find these things, John??) Thank You!!
He handed this to me at the Rendezvous. I was stunned!!
One of the least-used Furness Barlows I have ever seen!! Note "EDWARD" stamped on the blade;

Augie gift 1.jpg Augie gift 2.jpg Augie gift 3.jpg Augie gift 4.jpg

A gift from one our most skilled Barlow Whisperers, Augie!! (where do you find these things, John??) Thank You!!
One of the least-used Furness Barlows I have ever seen!! Note "EDWARD" stamped on the blade;

That's an amazing find / gift Charlie. Do you have a rough date of manufacture? I thought somewhere around end of the 19th century (although it looks like it was rescued from a sunken treasure chest well before that period!). Thanks for sharing.

[quote MJ71] That's an amazing find / gift Charlie. Do you have a rough date of manufacture? I thought somewhere around end of the 19th century (although it looks like it was rescued from a sunken treasure chest well before that period!). Thanks for sharing. [end quote]

Glad you like it MJ!

There is a summary of Furness knives around somewhere, but I have lost track of it. Does someone recall??

You are a brave man to pocket that Barlow, Drew! I look forward to seeing it pick up character as it rides along with you!
Nice knives Rob, Bob and ecallahan

It was probably the hardest plunge to take so far but I am glad I did. Already has some dings on the bolsters and patina, so the "mint" status is gone, kinda liberating lol

And wow if that Furness Barlow could talk! Very cool Charlie

Last edited:

You are very welcome Charlie, glad you like it. It really belongs with your amazing collection of old Barlows.

As far as age I'm thinking 1860ish, Edward was listed in the 1860 census according to information provided by Jack earlier in this thread. Linked to Jack's post.

What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Back